Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if dooley was in a pressure cooker, imagine Gruden, with all the fame and glory he brings and success, he better have at least 9 wins next year (thats what everyone will start saying if we land him). If he is getting paid close to 6 million to coach here, he better back it up.

0-5 in SEC would certainly be unacceptable.

Well gents, The hurricane is going to blow out our power sometime in the next 12 hours most likely... some speculate for up to 10 days, so maybe it is for the best that I miss the firing and heartless gloating of some... mostly not in this forum. So, this will be my only chance to do this most likely before it is very old news.

1. Hats off to Dooley. :hi: He has represented the University with class and has built a solid roster, stopped attrition, reduced off-field disciplinary problems, created the VFL program which appeals to parents and family oriented recruits and avoided any additional NCAA scrutiny that we were under. For these reasons, he should have our thanks and respect, regardless of what the end results were.

2. Back against the wall: The things he has had to battle, such as; staff turnover, injuries, players getting kicked off the team, NCAA investigation, strength of schedule, pretty much gave him a hand that he could do nothing with.

3. Small margin for error: We all knew the roster problems his first year, and the injuries that were sustained his second year were impossible to overcome. This was truly the first year that he had to prove his merit as a coach. Although there are still some depth issues, and some key injuries, the simple fact is that this team absolutely did have the talent to be able to beat some teams that we lost to, the only time we could accurately say that outside of the KY game last year. The sad truth is, he probably deserved another year, with only one year being a fair sample size so far. The sadder truth, is that we had no reason to believe it was going to get better, and a change is most likely the best move. I changed my avatar to the classic "I want to believe" poster from the x-files, with Dooley's head in place of the UFO. I wanted to believe... I tried... but in the end, we really can't anymore.

4. Sunseri/defense ended it: I posted earlier in this thread, that SEC defenses are averaging 21 points yielded this year. Last year, we averaged 22 points yielded. A middle of the road SEC defense of 21 points a game has us sitting at 6-2, with our only losses to FL and AL. Whether it is Sunseri or 3-4 adjustments, if we have just an average defense, Dooley is feeling pretty good right now and has an extension. Whether or not the current scenario of him leaving is a blessing or a curse, nobody knows yet.

5. Staff Turnover: I love this board for it's consistent inconsistency. As Dooley goes, most likely the entire staff goes... with the exception of maybe one. As terribly coached as people like to say we are (and I can hardly disagree), you can find scattered throughout the board, "Get rid of the whole staff except...(fill in the blank of every staff member") It's kinda funny. Personally, I think Graham, Pittman, Hinshaw, Chaney, and Palermo have earned their coin. It's a pipe dream to think that any coach would keep the lot of them though.

Good luck to Coach Dooley. He deserves every penny of his buyout. The fans give him hell and he has given his all for Tennessee. I think the second batman movie had the quote, "die a hero, or live long enough to be the villain." Every coach that does not die while coaching pretty much becomes the villain eventually.

I hope he proves us all wrong and is successful... outside of the SEC that is.

Stay safe. No gloating from me. I'm just ready to move on.

well if dooley was in a pressure cooker, imagine Gruden, with all the fame and glory he brings and success, he better have at least 9 wins next year (thats what everyone will start saying if we land him). If he is getting paid close to 6 million to coach here, he better back it up.

The amount of time and patience he would be afforded will far surpass that which was given to Dooley, and rightfully so however; so will expectations, IMO.

Well gents, The hurricane is going to blow out our power sometime in the next 12 hours most likely... some speculate for up to 10 days, so maybe it is for the best that I miss the firing and heartless gloating of some... mostly not in this forum. So, this will be my only chance to do this most likely before it is very old news.

1. Hats off to Dooley. :hi: He has represented the University with class and has built a solid roster, stopped attrition, reduced off-field disciplinary problems, created the VFL program which appeals to parents and family oriented recruits and avoided any additional NCAA scrutiny that we were under. For these reasons, he should have our thanks and respect, regardless of what the end results were.

2. Back against the wall: The things he has had to battle, such as; staff turnover, injuries, players getting kicked off the team, NCAA investigation, strength of schedule, pretty much gave him a hand that he could do nothing with.

3. Small margin for error: We all knew the roster problems his first year, and the injuries that were sustained his second year were impossible to overcome. This was truly the first year that he had to prove his merit as a coach. Although there are still some depth issues, and some key injuries, the simple fact is that this team absolutely did have the talent to be able to beat some teams that we lost to, the only time we could accurately say that outside of the KY game last year. The sad truth is, he probably deserved another year, with only one year being a fair sample size so far. The sadder truth, is that we had no reason to believe it was going to get better, and a change is most likely the best move. I changed my avatar to the classic "I want to believe" poster from the x-files, with Dooley's head in place of the UFO. I wanted to believe... I tried... but in the end, we really can't anymore.

4. Sunseri/defense ended it: I posted earlier in this thread, that SEC defenses are averaging 21 points yielded this year. Last year, we averaged 22 points yielded. A middle of the road SEC defense of 21 points a game has us sitting at 6-2, with our only losses to FL and AL. Whether it is Sunseri or 3-4 adjustments, if we have just an average defense, Dooley is feeling pretty good right now and has an extension. Whether or not the current scenario of him leaving is a blessing or a curse, nobody knows yet.

5. Staff Turnover: I love this board for it's consistent inconsistency. As Dooley goes, most likely the entire staff goes... with the exception of maybe one. As terribly coached as people like to say we are (and I can hardly disagree), you can find scattered throughout the board, "Get rid of the whole staff except...(fill in the blank of every staff member") It's kinda funny. Personally, I think Graham, Pittman, Hinshaw, Chaney, and Palermo have earned their coin. It's a pipe dream to think that any coach would keep the lot of them though.

Good luck to Coach Dooley. He deserves every penny of his buyout. The fans give him hell and he has given his all for Tennessee. I think the second batman movie had the quote, "die a hero, or live long enough to be the villain." Every coach that does not die while coaching pretty much becomes the villain eventually.

I hope he proves us all wrong and is successful... outside of the SEC that is.

Great post...

Stay safe Nick, I hope you and yours are kept out of harms way.

Thanks for the well wishing guys. I'm pretty sure we will be ok, but I've never been through a hurricane. Knoxville tended to lack those when I was growing up.

We are in the center of the island, and on relatively high ground. The hurricane is still hours away, but the coasts are already flooding badly as the storm is pushing the tides in. A lot of people are losing a lot. We have family who are going to be severely affected, so prayers for them please. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Another great post nick, appreciate it.

I'm with you about this damn storm too brother, plenty stocked up on the essentials and by essentials i obviously mean beer, liquor and junk food.

If you need a place to evacuate to give me a holler, I'm hoping we don't get it as bad as predicted and keep power at least.

Thanks for the well wishing guys. I'm pretty sure we will be ok, but I've never been through a hurricane. Knoxville tended to lack those when I was growing up.

We are in the center of the island, and on relatively high ground. The hurricane is still hours away, but the coasts are already flooding badly as the storm is pushing the tides in. A lot of people are losing a lot. We have family who are going to be severely affected, so prayers for them please. :hi:

This will be the third one I've been in since moving to Maryland. Been lucky so far. Hopefully that holds true again. Stay safe.

I will say this, the new coach will be given some good young talent to work with. Good luck to Dooley too. Good guy just snakebit as a coach. I still believe that's a good football team that we have. They just don't have an identity. Dooley never put his stamp on this team no matter what it was supposed to be.

I like this post. Well said, BB. I could also go without a coach that called his players out as much as he did in the media. Not necessary, IMO.

Am I seeing this right? Only 3 teams in SEC history have went 0-5 or worse before 1st conference win is Vandy, Kentucky, and now TN? Think about that...and to keep him after that?

Does Hart have connections with Stoops? Please forgive me if this kindles another drama over coaching candidates but Stoops has made it known that he wants out at OK and is wanting to return to the SEC. I think Rick Hart helped hire Stoops?

Am I seeing this right? Only 3 teams in SEC history have went 0-5 or worse before 1st conference win is Vandy, Kentucky, and now TN? Think about that...and to keep him after that?

That stat is skewed big time. Unlike FL, UGA, SC, Bama, etc, we play the worst teams in the final games of the season. They play Vandy and UK at the beginning.

Reactions: 2 people
That stat is skewed big time. Unlike FL, UGA, SC, Bama, etc, we play the worst teams in the final games of the season. They play Vandy and UK at the beginning.
I don't think you are getting what I am saying and regardless of how the scheduling falls...you don't see Bama, FL, or GA going 0-5...you have google right?

I like this post. Well said, BB. I could also go without a coach that called his players out as much as he did in the media. Not necessary, IMO.

Dooley was in over his head. To be successful in the SEC you have to be a special coach. There's nothing about Dooley's teams that make you say "That's a typical Dooley Team". Urban Meyer teams are fast and play great on special teams. Saban comes with a strong physical ball club. Chip Kelly has a fast team with an even faster paced offense. Muschamp has Florida playing extremely physical on defense. But Dooley squads are? Nothing positive to say. And at Tennessee we have to much tradition not to have an identity. I personally want a hard nosed defense in Orange first of all. And I want a true pro style offense but one that airs the ball out(hell we're WRU lol).

SN: Notice I never said Lane Kiffin, he's proving to be the most overrated coach in the country. His teams do not finish close games well at all. And he has a bad tendency to run left in any short yardage pressure situation.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah he's only good for smashing Mack Brown.
well, to go by your previous comment about coaches...you could say the same about Mac Brown. So I guess your complementing Stoops? Not that I have a bromance with any coach but given the circumstances I don't see how we need to be picky about a proven coach like Stoops.

Don't jack with hurricanes, we had a couple big ones the last few years in Houston and it's no fun. More wind damage than anything, flooding wasn't much of an issue where we live. Evac if possible, keep the family out of harm's way.

Good luck and god bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back