Recruiting Football Talk VII

That is actually not a bad price for that milkshake in a stadium, but that is not where milkshakes like that belong. Hotdogs, peanuts, beer, a scoop of ice cream in a mini helmet, and maybe a coke. Those are the only acceptable concessions at a baseball game. Take this hippie dippie stuff and get out!
No crackerjacks? It's right there in the lyrics of the song!

Reactions: SmokinBob
After a week off so far for recovery from hip surgery, it dawned on my that my mod talents aren’t being appreciated. I give so much only for the heathenry in this forum to mock and ridicule me at every step. They don’t respect my authority, buncha ingrates!
run-over-siblings.gif

I just saw some guys on YT talking about our game last night..according to them we are the only team in NCAA tournament history to win a game when shooting less than 15% from 3 (minimum 20 3pt shots attempted) and 35% overall...

The stat is now 1 win and 66 losses(iirc)....if true, that is nuts.
Team of destiny.
Team of winners.
Team of badarse defenders!

Volunteers by damn.

So one of my partners is a bourbon aficionado. He went to Creighton. He asked me what we would bet on our upcoming game.
I responded, all your bourbon against all my wine. (I have about 500 bottles of really nice wine). His bourbon collection is probably more value 😳
He laughed and said no way. Then what bet?
I said 1/2 your bourbon versus 1/2 my wine.
Still no deal 😂 He must not believe in his team the way I believe in our Vols. 🤠
And I don’t drink bourbon 😎

Really depends on the situation. Sometimes the article is full of a lot of truth and the guilty party goes on attack with a lot of BS hoping something sticks. Need to pay attention to who is writing it and what evidence they provide and then go from there. Pat Forde absolutely needed to be called out for his BS recently against UT...the context and facts were extremely clear. Mulkey, on the other hand...I'll just say I'm interested to see what this article is about, what facts the writer provides, and if it holds up to scrutiny.
Please note that WaPo and the NYT were co-participants alongside Forde on the first day in pushing the same extremely dishonest story (WaPo on page 1, iirc). It appears to have been a coordinated effort.

WaPo omitted the most basic facts of the case, such as that the "rule" at issue was not a rule at the time of the falsely-alleged "infraction." WaPo also suppressed or concealed from its readers the fact that the NCAA has passed a novel policy -- after the time of the falsely-alleged "infraction" and shortly before they leaked their investigation, in violation of their policy against doing so. That policy decision, made by an ad hoc small group and circumventing usual channels, declared that the NCAA would now consider schools investigated to be guilty until proven innocent, in flagrant violation of one of the most fundamental principles of American justice.

WaPo is not a credible source for "hit pieces," or "smear jobs," or what they term "investigations" involving college athletics. This is a proven fact.

Finally the timing of WaPo's story, presumably, is again, let us say, "interesting." The story on us was timed for signing day and the reopening of recruiting (and we had large numbers of recruits cancel scheduled early spring visits, as a result.) Now, this new "hit piece" on Mulkey from the untrustworthy WaPo appears to be timed for launch during the women's basketball tournament.

None of this is say the least word about Mulkey or about other kinds of stories by WaPo. But we know as a fact, that their reporting in college sports cases cannot be trusted. We just suffered a timely example.

Last edited:
They are trying to balance the integrity of the game with reducing injuries and liability. This change seems to be about creating more excitement, but they got to the current state to reduce injuries. Fans are going to have to realize that the old game isn’t coming back, and part of it is to keep the game viable altogether.
That's a horrible take. There is no liability. They're destroying the game. Before long, watching NFL games is going to be like watching the NFL Pro Bowl around 2016. Nobody watched it anymore because ZERO defense was played, and they soon eliminated it altogether.

Reactions: rikberry31
I know for a fact there are some female athletes that look away from schools that have "Lady" before the team name because they see it as disrespectful. In fact I knew some Lady Vols who were annoyed by it while I was at UT before I explained the history behind it.

But I am very thankful we have an army of very influential Lady Vols who fight to keep it and who embrace and love it. And it'll stay that way as long as we are kicking *ss in women's sports.
Okay, what’s the history behind it?

Only womens team to make EVERY ncaa tournament.

And I think someone said the other day we're the only program to have 20+ wins every year all-time. We kept that alive today.
First part is true but I think Holly only won 19 her last season
That is peculiar. I have read the 20-win streak repeated a couple of times, but I just looked at the record and you are correct. I hope we make the tournament next year. That streak is not reproducible. By anyone, including us.

I am no expert or close follower, but imo Rickea Jackson is the best player we have had on that team since Candace Parker. We did a great job with NIL to get Rickea in the portal. I just wish we could have gotten more of a run while her talent at our disposal.

Really depends on the situation. Sometimes the article is full of a lot of truth and the guilty party goes on attack with a lot of BS hoping something sticks. Need to pay attention to who is writing it and what evidence they provide and then go from there. Pat Forde absolutely needed to be called out for his BS recently against UT...the context and facts were extremely clear. Mulkey, on the other hand...I'll just say I'm interested to see what this article is about, what facts the writer provides, and if it holds up to scrutiny.
It was obviously leaked to Pat Forde…. That causes me to question it.

That's a horrible take. There is no liability. They're destroying the game. Before long, watching NFL games is going to be like watching the NFL Pro Bowl around 2016. Nobody watched it anymore because ZERO defense was played, and they soon eliminated it altogether.
Agree to disagree. Implementing the defensive penalties to avoid concussions is absolutely a player safety and liability issue. They are trying to keep players from long term injuries. Maybe this new one is more about avoiding serious lower body injuries, but it can still take out a player for long term. You guys can complain all you want, and I never said that I liked it, but the game changed several years ago…and we aren’t going back. The players who play the sport violently and complain about the fines are the same ones who end up with long term effects.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

VN Store

Back