Recruiting Football Talk VII

Well, you’re talking exclusively about position players. I said he was a top 20 player of all time.

In the Top10 players you have to make room for Walter Johnson, Sandy Koufax, & Tom Seaver. If you want to add Maddux or Randy, that leaves 6 position players.

He’s not better than Ruth, Mays, Williams.
He’s in not over Gehrig & Bench.
Cobb? Hornsby? Bob Gibson? Christy Mathewson? The “other” of Maddux & Randy?
👍 Gotcha. I always look at it as greatest players/greatest pitchers.

What a list that could be made, though! The greats...but, then you have those that exceed even greatness: the Ruth's and Gehrig's...the Hank's and Willie's...Joe D's and Mantle's...Clemente's and Bench's...Seaver's and Gibson's...the Koufax's and Clemens'...

And, yes, Maddux and Johnson are in those talks; and, imo, not only Bonds, but Griffey Jr, as well.

Do you agree or disagree about what I said about Tony Gwynn?

I’ll repeat what I said to another poster: Anything that causes a basketball team to lose it’s cohesiveness is bad for the team and affects the play of said team. It doesn’t matter if it’s 2 teammates having a thing for another teammate or 2 teammates having a thing for someone not on the team. Players will take sides and instead of pulling together (which is critical for a basketball team) these players are pulling away from each other...
Locker rooms will fight and fracture over myriad reasons if allowed to (see: Jeremy Banks).

My only point was how hilarious I find it that people were saying it wasn’t a story, or shouldn’t be a story, due to nothing more than sexual orientation of the players.

That’s absurd lol. It’s a banger of a story, and for good reason - it’s an effing love triangle in a locker room. That’s gonna drive clicks.

Imagine if Sue Bird & Diana Taurasi were fighting over a 3rd girl lol. And then Diana Taurasi quit the team in a huff. HUGE story.

Anyways…

I’m just sitting here waiting for the salacious details of the UCLA women’s soccer locker room triangle(s) to come out 😏

For those that only know Chris Stapleton when he got big go listen to the Steeldrivers. That's some music you can dig some coal to. All you tradition lovers and throwback heros.

I'm going to see them here in Greeneville next month. Looking forward it.

Reactions: DD4ME

What a list that could be made, though! The greats...but, then you have those that exceed even greatness: the Ruth's and Gehrig's...the Hank's and Willie's...Joe D's and Mantle's...Clemente's and Bench's...Seaver's and Gibson's...the Koufax's and Clemens'...

And, yes, Maddux and Johnson are in those talks; and, imo, not only Bonds, but Griffey Jr, as well.

I believe Tony Gwynn was one of the best pure hitters ever..

Skinny Barry has a spot in there somewhere for sure.

I think Tony Gwynn is probably the best pure hitter of the last 50+ years. Ted Williams said as much. Gwynn was better than George Brett, better than Boggs & Carew too.

Hard to rank him too high because the run production just isn’t at the level of others. But the man could put the bat on the ball.

Skinny Barry has a spot in there somewhere for sure.

I think Tony Gwynn is probably the best pure hitter of the last 50+ years. Ted Williams said as much. Gwynn was better than George Brett, better than Boggs & Carew too.

Hard to rank him too high because the run production just isn’t at the level of others. But the man could put the bat on the ball.

They are ALL next.
i agree. but they don't have any skin in the game yet. the fact still stands that they're looking at us for something that happened 2 years ago and was before any rules were in place.

meanwhile.....there are VERY obvious things going on right now that nobody is looking at for infractions, tampering etc....

we're the low hanging fruit in their eyes, and their hope is they can make an example of programs like us, and FSU, and the others will start shaking in their boots. while it would behoove them, long term, to jump on the wagon with us, the fact is, they're (Bama, UGA, OSU etc...) able to continue to do what they've BEEN doing w/impunity and they will continue to do so. so what, really, is their motivation for joining if they're getting their cake and eating it too? i realize i'm oversimplifying this a great deal, but i think the point has merit. there's literally video out there!! lol.

anyway......we're the beta test here. and we need to pass it with flying colors. i think we will. but imo, there's a reason why some of these other schools and states aren't just grabbing their pitchforks and falling in behind us. nobody wants to be point here, including us. we've just been put in the position of having to be point....and we're acting accordingly. i'm very proud of what UT leadership has done with this, and that the state of TN is falling in line. i think there's no way the leadership at UTK goes this direction with their response if they didn't feel relatively certain of where they stood, and more importantly, where they stand in the face of this.

there was a tweet a couple of weeks ago that rings true to me....the one about the state of TN saving Texas from Mexico, and now saving college football/sports from the NCAA.....everyone is rooting for us. but nobody, outside of VA, is standing with us. and they won't until the NCAA starts leaking story's to Pat Forde about their programs. which is the other thing that really irks me. if the NCAA has "double digit" inquiries going on....release the list. they won't, becuase of all the reasons i mentioned above...we're the low hanging fruit. and as soon as inquires in to other programs becomes public.....then you'd have other states joining in real quick. the NCAA doesn't want that at all. i forget how many states were on that suit about the transfer potal, but that didn't end well for the NCAA. they know it likely doesn't end well here either, unless they can bully programs in to submission. FSU took the bait and settled. we didn't. the NCAA doesn't have the stomach to fight a multi front war. so it was targeted and purposeful with what they did here and how they leaked this story to sway opinion a certain way. the NCAA isn't in this to protect student athletes. they're in this for self preservation, period.

looking forward to seeing what happens today with the TRO....i think that will tell a decent portion of this story, and provide maybe some foreshadowing for the future.

if FSU hadn't of caved, they probably would. i'm a little surprised at how quiet the state of FL and UF has been, which makes me wonder about how shaky their ground is? you have to think Miami is on this "list"....aTm, Mizzou, Ole Miss, LSU, UNC, Michigan, OSU,......Az St? TX....yeah, i think there's a list. and it's probably longer than we know.

VN Store

Back