Recruiting Football Talk VII

Only thing that bothered me from the game yesterday was that J. Josephs walked off the field (seemed upset) without looking at a single fan. He didn't celebrate with the rest of the team. A few minutes later Coach Ekeler went back to the locker room also (not sure if related). Did anything happen that you all saw on TV that we couldn't see from the seats? Everyone around us was confused.
At 12:50 in the 4th quarter he dropped back into coverage and seemed to tweak something. Grabbed his knee or hamstring. Just saw it on the highlights.

But watching the highlights and looking at the box score, he recorded 2 tackles. He played nearlt every defensive play. He was getting pushed around on rushes and was generally out of control the whole game (meaning: body control, arms flailing and not staying in good body position). I don't think he played well or had much positive impact personally.

Needs to get in the weight room and focus on his game or he's going to get passed by guys like Ross, C Herring, and Bradley.

At least in the secondary, I saw talent and development from the young guys yesterday. Even zone coverage looked different. lol
I am one of the biggest sunshine pumpers on this site, and I love the young talent we have in the secondary. However, to judge them off of the game yesterday is not fair to them.

1704211106014.png

That being said, I am excited to see the growth and improvement that they will bring to the table next year. The defense took big strides this year in a lot of ways, and I think next year they will take even more. Plus, the offense looking better under Nico will cover up some sins that got exposed this year with stalled drives and reduced scoring.

Only thing that bothered me from the game yesterday was that J. Josephs walked off the field (seemed upset) without looking at a single fan. He didn't celebrate with the rest of the team. A few minutes later Coach Ekeler went back to the locker room also (not sure if related). Did anything happen that you all saw on TV that we couldn't see from the seats? Everyone around us was confused.
Ate too many cheez-its?

I am one of the biggest sunshine pumpers on this site, and I love the young talent we have in the secondary. However, to judge them off of the game yesterday is not fair to them.

View attachment 606899

That being said, I am excited to see the growth and improvement that they will bring to the table next year. The defense took big strides this year in a lot of ways, and I think next year they will take even more. Plus, the offense looking better under Nico will cover up some sins that got exposed this year with stalled drives and reduced scoring.
Well, as a sunshine pumper, I'll say that we dominated them the way any top level team would.

Beat them like Penn State and Michigan did. It's a good indicator.

Last edited:
Both players showed up in the box score, but I didn't notice #15 or #24 on the field. So I'm guessing one of them (Conyer?) snapped up Tyler Baron's old #9.
I was looking for them too. The box score notation could be for special teams play. When I rewatch I'll see again if I can spot them.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Responding to a poster saying the OL is not a problem:

-ash
OL is a major issue. They need to tell more to leave and stop trying to not hurt feelings. They have to upgrade that position or even having Nico will win us nothing substantial.

Let's hope the OL can be developed for '24. Ollie and Dane should have only seen the field in mop up roles. Sampson must embrace blocking or he sits. Nico is the man and must be protected. Why we didn't see Nico against Florida should be questioned.

OL is a major issue. They need to tell more to leave and stop trying to not hurt feelings. They have to upgrade that position or even having Nico will win us nothing substantial.
This is my fear, that we end up wasting Nico.
We have 2 years, it's time to hurt some feelings.

The TV broadcast did not show his routes enough for me to see if that was the issue.
There should be a broadcast from overhead with no announcers. That would be awesome.

I saw a clip yesterday promoting the Bama game where the network showed one of the TD throws against us and it was re-edited so tightly from right to left and top to bottom that you could not see Bama holding on either side, in front of the QB or behind. Probably reedited (clipped) for length too and spliced because there seemed to be no time at all between throw and catch. The holding must have showed up there too. It looked like it took multiple manipulations to hide the no-calls. 😂

Austin Price misspoke the starting OL has been paid to come back and are not the problem, the backups are a problem however and we need to get rid of ppl who are not in the cards to contribute so we can bring in a transfer or two.
That sounds more plausible to me but I don't claim to know. I agree with Smyrna: #80,835.

Last edited:
Austin Price misspoke the starting OL has been paid to come back and are not the problem, the backups are a problem however and we need to get rid of ppl who are not in the cards to contribute so we can bring in a transfer or two.
We may need to play backups...

I have a different assessment than you. I think he’s great, we just don’t get him the ball enough
If he can't separate and get open, what do you suggest? It's not like he's running free on every play and being ignored.

I think Squirrel has potential but he’s never really put it together on a consistent basis. He underwhelmed me this past season. I think he’s a de facto starter but I don’t think his actual performance thus far in his career dictates an “elite” status that some of y’all want to give him.
lol he was THE most consistent WR after Bru. When Bru went down he caught almost everything thrown his way.

The rest of the receivers werent good.

VN Store

Back