Reasons to dislike Pruitt

UTNoFear

Infractions
3-7 Final Year

But then I look at the expectations after the 8 win 2019 season, and then he dealt with more covid cases than any school in the east, and have to ask... if we had a healthy team in 2020 what would the record have been? The infractions and cause was enough to fire him and I'm not an apologist by any means but say we won 7-8 games in 20 would the fans have jumped his back as they did? Apples and oranges but personally I liked CJP and as a former college player would have loved to have played for him but that's me. But the amount of hate the fans had for him amazed me. The man gave us an 8-5 season and the first 2 losses were hard to swallow that year but he righted the ship. If we would have won those two game.... 10-3. But yeah he couldn't coach say you.

I know my opinion will not be popular and I hope CJH will right the ship but it amazes me how this fan base went from lauding him to hating him. COVID19 killed his team. On another note the man didn't forget how to coach and for the arm chairs here that never played or coached CFB, why judge him the way you do.

I like CJH and hope he turns things around but I ask myself how long will this fan base give him before they turn their back on him the way they did Pruitt?

Funny, fan base LOVED him in 2019 but in 2020, hated his guts. Personally I think our fan base is our worse enemy........... FLAME AWAY!

On a side note, these kids these days are coddled and they can't take hard coaching and sulk when they are called out. Can't count the times I calmed my son down when he played CFB. When a coach coaches you hard he see's promise and demands the best from you. If you don't get coached up that means they don't care because you don't have it. Good grief, my DC didn't seem to know a name other than mine but I played every game.

Last edited:
Infractions
3-7 Final Year

But then I look at the expectations after the 8 win 2019 season, and then he dealt with more covid cases than any school in the east, and have to ask... if we had a healthy team in 2020 what would the record have been? The infractions and cause was enough to fire him and I'm not an apologist by any means but say we won 7-8 games in 20 would the fans have jumped his back as they did? Apples and oranges but personally I liked CJP and as a former college player would have loved to have played for him but that's me. But the amount of hate the fans had for him amazed me. The man gave us an 8-5 season and the first 2 losses were hard to swallow that year but he righted the ship. If we would have won those two game.... 10-3. But yeah he couldn't coach say you.

I know my opinion will not be popular and I hope CJH will right the ship but it amazes me how this fan base went from lauding him to hating him. COVID19 killed his team. On another note the man didn't forget how to coach and for the arm chairs here that never played or coached CFB, why judge him the way you do.

I like CJH and hope he turns things around but I ask myself how long will this fan base give him before they turn their back on him the way they did Pruitt?

Funny, fan base LOVED him in 2019 but in 2020, hated his guts. Personally I think our fan base is our worse enemy........... FLAME AWAY!
Well he decided to throw everything away by putting all his support behind you know who, with an outdated offense and cheated like a fool. He earned a lot of the hate.

I'm sympathetic to your argument. I don't hate him. I hate Butch Jones but I don't hate him.

I'm not an apologist but answer the question if he won 7-8 games last year would the fan base be so upset? Serious question...... Old adage asking for a friend :)

Infractions
3-7 Final Year

On a side note, these kids these days are coddled and they can't take hard coaching and sulk when they are called out. Can't count the times I calmed my son down when he played CFB. When a coach coaches you hard he see's promise and demands the best from you. If you don't get coached up that means they don't care because you don't have it. Good grief, my DC didn't seem to know a name other than mine but I played every game.
index.jpg

I never had a reason to dislike him as a human being until I saw this:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F85847480-4971-4b56-86f4-9e8e470bd4f0_1456x979.jpeg

It was here when I realized he was a Alabama trailer gypsy in over his head.

He is a good coach but his style for lack of a better word was his downfall. He was overbearing to his asst coaches from what I hear. Chaney is a good example. He has a history of wide open offenses but Pruitt basically dictated the play calling to suite Pruitt's style and handicapped him with JG at qb. He would not take advice from those who tried to help him. It was his way or the highway and it got him the highway. He has a lot of flaws to run a power 5 program but coaching and recruiting are not 2 of them. Cheating, if proven, will blackball him from college coaching I believe.

He is a good coach but his style for lack of a better word was his downfall. He was overbearing to his asst coaches from what I hear. Chaney is a good example. He has a history of wide open offenses but Pruitt basically dictated the play calling to suite Pruitt's style and handicapped him with JG at qb. He would not take advice from those who tried to help him. It was his way or the highway and it got him the highway. He has a lot of flaws to run a power 5 program but coaching and recruiting are not 2 of them. Cheating, if proven, will blackball him from college coaching I believe.

He's not a good coach, let's go ahead and put that false narrative to bed.

In his career, he walked into loaded rosters with talent that was developed by his predecessors, and bounced after 2 years before he'd have to rely on players that he recruited and developed.

He's a fraud, and that became apparent when his utter inability to develop talent was put on display at UT.

Last edited:
Simple - WIN and the whole world loves you. LOSE and they hate you. Yes, if you lost honorably that just is something that you will be able to comfort yourself with as they kick you out the door. But make no mistake - People in today's society gleefully embrace a winning scumbag while dissing or ignoring an honorable loser. Not saying it should be that way but acknowledging that it is.

Infractions
3-7 Final Year

There were teams hit way harder by COVID than us. We didnā€™t lose much of anything due to COVID, all of our big names were on the field.

Arkansas got hit by COVID, and was already a train wreck trying to rebuild under a first year coach.

...... they beat us.

You know what team WAS decimated by COVID and still pulled out a winning season, with some very tight losses that could have gone either way? Heupelā€™s UCF.

Great post and I agree, but once again I'm not apologizing for him but if I was the head coach of a power 5 team, I would control every aspect as Alabama and Saban does, Yes, you give your assistants the rope to hang themselves but as Nick does.....he still runs the show as he should, the HFC is in charge. But I see your point sir and respect it!

Reactions: Flathead75
I can't think of any reason to like the guy. The simple fact he stayed at Bama for the playoffs instead of taking the first thing smoking to Knoxville after being named HC was enough for me.

Plus it turned out he was a fraud. There is zero evidence he was a good coach.

Great post and I agree, but once again I'm not apologizing for him but if I was the head coach of a power 5 team, I would control every aspect as Alabama and Saban does, Yes, you give your assistants the rope to hang themselves but as Nick does.....he still runs the show as he should, the HFC is in charge. But I see your point sir and respect it!
He's not a good coach, let's go ahead and put that false narrative to bed.

In his career, he's walked into loaded rosters with talent that was developed by his predecessors, and bounced after 2 years before he'd have to rely on players that he recruited and developed.

He's a fraud, and that became apparent when he his utter inability to develop talent was put in display at UT.

Your hatred is seeping through but you thought he was fantastic after 8-5 season and loved the number 15 preseason ranking...... Ever have the responsibility of maintaining a power 5 team? Ever coached period? City league doesn't count. Those that can't do tear down those that can. FACT!

lol, I can see this will be a hot topic. Let's see how the fan base reacts if CJH only wins 3-4 games his 1st season. CJP will get all the blame. Our fan base always wants a new guy if things aren't going well, if not for the infractions CJP would still be here but since the stones fell as they may, that's not the case. If the fan base wants a new coach every 3-4 years then get use to mediocrity. As I said our fan base is our worse enemy. Tell me I'm wrong!

Reactions: Cormock Mac
I think that was a big factor in his downfall. He tried to be Saban but didn't know how. He is a position coach and that's his ceiling. I stand by my opinion he is a good coach as long as he is limited to one position but a terrible at being a HC.

Valid point sir and you maybe right! And I agree not all coaches have the makings to be a HC. Excellent point

lol, I can see this will be a hot topic. Let's see how the fan base reacts if CJH only wins 3-4 games his 1st season. CJP will get all the blame. Our fan base always wants a new guy if things aren't going well, if not for the infractions CJP would still be here but since the stones fell as they may, that's not the case. If the fan base wants a new coach every 3-4 years then get use to mediocrity. As I said our fan base is our worse enemy. Tell me I'm wrong!

If CJH only wins 3-4 games this season it will be nobody's fault but his own. Pruitts first game as HC showed us he had no ****ing clue what he was doing, they came out unprepared, unmotivated and completely disorganized. He followed up that brilliant opening game performance with an even worse one the next year and he was lucky to win the games he did that year. He was an awful HC that had absolutely no business holding that position.

Infractions
3-7 Final Year

Fallacy of "they" and fallacy of false dichotomy. Judging him is a lot more complex than saying he's great or awful.

IMHO, he was and is a very good "teacher of the game". Some disagree but I think tackling and other "technique" things improved quite a bit.

I believe he underperformed the talent on his first team. He won 5 when 6 or more was reasonable. USCe, Mizzou, and Vandy were all very winnable games. He was blown out in two of them. Only speaking for myself his recover in '19 just got me back on the fence. I actually liked the guy's personality as much as we got to see it. But honestly his stubbornness on the QB position was more than many of us could take.

It was also becoming pretty obvious by that point that his defensive "system" didn't work so well without the kinds of athletes he had previously... and that he wasn't recruiting those kinds of athletes to UT.

Covid didn't kill the team... Pruitt's bad decisions and ultimately his inability to move from being a coordinator/position coach to HC. Some guys just aren't meant to be HC's. They don't have the ability to sense morale or the needs of the team. Pruitt is probably where Pruitt needs to be.... coaching guys on individual skills who are getting legally paid to play.

Well. If he makes manifestly stupid decisions concerning the QB position and underperforms his talent badly enough to lose to middling Group of 5 programs... not long.

Don't hate him now... and did not "love" him in 2019. You act as if what happened in 2019 is some kind of miracle. It wasn't. Every team UT beat starting with Mississippi State was less talented... and sometimes a lot less talented... and only close wins.

Blaming fans is good sport... but fans didn't make the call on the QB position. Fans didn't stubbornly stick with a style of play that didn't work. Fans didn't pay players. Fans didn't smother the team directly with negativity. That was all Pruitt.

Some of that is true. But you can still coach them hard if they trust you. That hasn't changed since the 80's when I played HSFB. My coach was the biggest jerk in the world. I didn't like him.... but in the end we knew we could trust him to do what was best for the team as a whole.

A coach doesn't have to be "nice". But they do have to instill trust and a belief/confidence in the team's ability to win. Pruitt never seemed to get past breaking people down. At some point the HC especially has to build guys back up so they believe they can do MORE than they probably really can.

Pruitt's teams quit on him in both the 1st and last year. That's a matter of trust, faith, confidence,....

Pruitt will bear part of the blame. Some very good players left in the fallout of his violations.

But if CJH only wins 3-4 games with 9 legitimately possible wins on the table... that's on him.

PS- you are 100% wrong. Programs never get better because the fanbase has low expectations. Bama's coaches from Bear to Saban averaged 4 years. UF recognized that Zook and Muschamp were headed in the wrong direction after 3 and 4 seasons respectively. There was only one losing season between them and both left with winning records. But you seem to be sure that the way for UT to become a winner again is to hang on to a coach who is even worse than "mediocre".

He was all Alabama. Not sure he even liked the idea of being at Tennessee. The whole time he was here he acted miserable.

Not a valuable reason.... try again. Anyone can pick anything out of the air. Would you take a job to fail? Try again!!!!!!

Reactions: Cormock Mac

VN Store

Back