Reasons to dislike Pruitt

1. Blind loyalty to JG - Played JG for too long and cost us several games by his play alone.

2. Georgia St loss - It’s one thing to sleep walk through a game like this against a weak opponent.
Not only did we lose but we got completely dominated. They looked faster and stronger than us on both sides of the ball.

3. Too stubborn - He didn’t listen to his assistants and completely handcuffed them. Chaney had nothing to work with. The offense was boring and stale, especially with a non SEC caliber QB killing all the momentum.

He wasn’t a good fit here and made things worse for this program.

Let's look at Pruitt's record here. He holds the UT career record for 25 point (or more) losses, he managed to set that in 3 seasons. In 3 seasons he defeated only 5 or 6 teams that finished with a wining record, he has arguably the worst loss in UT history and our worst loss to UK since 1934. Didn't play a single competitive game against GA, UF or Bama so can anyone give me a reason I should like the guy?

While I agree to a point, how is him taking the blame for the faults of losing throwing players under the bus?
The way he did it... consistently. If a parent says, "My kids didn't behave very well... I have to train them better"... that's not an admission of fault or responsibility. It is a thinly veiled accusation. Pruitt did it all the time.

First thing as a HC is you hold everyone accountable, players and coaches, Plain and simple, but I sat through too many butt chewing's aftera game that the coaches were right. We as players didn't perform. Sad but true and film on Sunday was never fun. Normally wound up on the 6:30 club which meant puking by 6:30 lol
True. But you don't do that in a press conference. In the press conference it should be "we" did not perform well. It was pretty clear to me at least what he was doing.

Honestly, we didn't get a lot of butt chewings after games. We got them in practice. When the game is done... it is too late to fix a problem. I played in a good program. I wasn't great but started and played my role. We won 32 games and a state title in 3 years while being a 1A sized school playing 2A. We lost 5 games. Four of those games were to teams that would win either the 1A or 2A championship in the same year. I don't ever remember being punished for losing or even making mistakes. Again... our coach believed that if we prepared right then there was nothing to be gained by getting mad after the game.

You can decide if what Pruitt did is a good coaching method. It didn't work well for him at UT.

Reactions: tbh and Enki_Amenra
Infractions
3-7 Final Year

But then I look at the expectations after the 8 win 2019 season, and then he dealt with more covid cases than any school in the east, and have to ask... if we had a healthy team in 2020 what would the record have been? The infractions and cause was enough to fire him and I'm not an apologist by any means but say we won 7-8 games in 20 would the fans have jumped his back as they did? Apples and oranges but personally I liked CJP and as a former college player would have loved to have played for him but that's me. But the amount of hate the fans had for him amazed me. The man gave us an 8-5 season and the first 2 losses were hard to swallow that year but he righted the ship. If we would have won those two game.... 10-3. But yeah he couldn't coach say you.

I know my opinion will not be popular and I hope CJH will right the ship but it amazes me how this fan base went from lauding him to hating him. COVID19 killed his team. On another note the man didn't forget how to coach and for the arm chairs here that never played or coached CFB, why judge him the way you do.

I like CJH and hope he turns things around but I ask myself how long will this fan base give him before they turn their back on him the way they did Pruitt?

Funny, fan base LOVED him in 2019 but in 2020, hated his guts. Personally I think our fan base is our worse enemy........... FLAME AWAY!

On a side note, these kids these days are coddled and they can't take hard coaching and sulk when they are called out. Can't count the times I calmed my son down when he played CFB. When a coach coaches you hard he see's promise and demands the best from you. If you don't get coached up that means they don't care because you don't have it. Good grief, my DC didn't seem to know a name other than mine but I played every game.

At the CFB level the head coach is more of a CEO, which Pruitt sucked at. He is a great DC and position coach.

Reactions: sjt18
I wouldn't say that anyone loved him after 2019. I think most were happy that he managed to rally and finish strong. Although the losses to GA ST and BYU were the nail in the coffin for me. I think his knowledge of the game is top notch. I think he failed at HC though because he just couldn't build. He never got the buy in from the previous staffs players for the most part. Basically he came in telling them they were not good enough. Honestly for the most part they weren't. Although you have to have that total buy in or you get what we got those 3 years.

I wouldn't say that anyone loved him after 2019. I think most were happy that he managed to rally and finish strong. Although the losses to GA ST and BYU were the nail in the coffin for me. I think his knowledge of the game is top notch. I think he failed at HC though because he just couldn't build. He never got the buy in from the previous staffs players for the most part. Basically he came in telling them they were not good enough. Honestly for the most part they weren't. Although you have to have that total buy in or you get what we got those 3 years.
i think if Tennessee would have finished 6-4 Cornbread would be the head coach right now

Let's look at Pruitt's record here. He holds the UT career record for 25 point (or more) losses, he managed to set that in 3 seasons. In 3 seasons he defeated only 5 or 6 teams that finished with a wining record, he has arguably the worst loss in UT history and our worst loss to UK since 1934. Didn't play a single competitive game against GA, UF or Bama so can anyone give me a reason I should like the guy?
I feel as if we just got trolled. It has that feel to it lol

Can I make a list of reasons to like him instead? It will be much shorter. See below.

1a) the only thing i can possibly add here is related to a quote attributed to him when he first arrived as the HC. He asked, "where are all the big guys?"

well, our 'big guys' are on campus now and our team isn't Butch-sized.

that's all, that's the tweet

Infractions
3-7 Final Year

But then I look at the expectations after the 8 win 2019 season, and then he dealt with more covid cases than any school in the east, and have to ask... if we had a healthy team in 2020 what would the record have been? The infractions and cause was enough to fire him and I'm not an apologist by any means but say we won 7-8 games in 20 would the fans have jumped his back as they did? Apples and oranges but personally I liked CJP and as a former college player would have loved to have played for him but that's me. But the amount of hate the fans had for him amazed me. The man gave us an 8-5 season and the first 2 losses were hard to swallow that year but he righted the ship. If we would have won those two game.... 10-3. But yeah he couldn't coach say you.

I know my opinion will not be popular and I hope CJH will right the ship but it amazes me how this fan base went from lauding him to hating him. COVID19 killed his team. On another note the man didn't forget how to coach and for the arm chairs here that never played or coached CFB, why judge him the way you do.

I like CJH and hope he turns things around but I ask myself how long will this fan base give him before they turn their back on him the way they did Pruitt?

Funny, fan base LOVED him in 2019 but in 2020, hated his guts. Personally I think our fan base is our worse enemy........... FLAME AWAY!

On a side note, these kids these days are coddled and they can't take hard coaching and sulk when they are called out. Can't count the times I calmed my son down when he played CFB. When a coach coaches you hard he see's promise and demands the best from you. If you don't get coached up that means they don't care because you don't have it. Good grief, my DC didn't seem to know a name other than mine but I played every game.
I don't think our fan base loved him as much as you say. With the exception of a couple of guys, almost everyone I know thought he was in over his head by year 2

Make no mistake, he was a terrible head coach

Infractions
3-7 Final Year

Didn’t hate him, but it grew hard to support a guy that trotted Guarantano out game after game. I still think there’s more to Guarantano playing than what’s being said. It’s awful funny that he was our best chance to win until the week the payment of players scandals leaked, then he was just done at UT. Either way the Pruitt era is over, and hopefully Heupel is the guy that can get us back to competing for championships.

Great post and I agree, but once again I'm not apologizing for him but if I was the head coach of a power 5 team, I would control every aspect as Alabama and Saban does, Yes, you give your assistants the rope to hang themselves but as Nick does.....he still runs the show as he should, the HFC is in charge. But I see your point sir and respect it!

Your hatred is seeping through but you thought he was fantastic after 8-5 season and loved the number 15 preseason ranking...... Ever have the responsibility of maintaining a power 5 team? Ever coached period? City league doesn't count. Those that can't do tear down those that can. FACT!
Got some news for: coaching is nowhere near rocket science. Too many dumbasses are good at it. Being a head coach is entirely different than being a coordinator or position coach.

Reactions: Devo182
Meh. No reason not to like him. Seems to me like he was doing his best to win. I don't blame him for cheating and agreed with most of his hires and personnel decisions. He just wasn't able to get any production out of the QB position. Is what it is. I'm sure he didn't fail on purpose. Why dislike him? Petty IMO.

TON of red flags.

Nobody could work with him. Awful offensive/QB management. Talked about running back to Saban if it sidn't work here. UT admin said they didn't think he'd last. Blatant/stupid cheating. Ragged on the fanbase. Had zero care to develop players, kept spouting "we'll just bring 25 new guys in..."

Hired Chaney OVER...YURCICH, BRILES, LEBBY. GOOD GOD!

I'm not an apologist but answer the question if he won 7-8 games last year would the fan base be so upset? Serious question...... Old adage asking for a friend :)
Wins would not have mattered. Just as 2 head coaches in the SEC stated, “No, I’m not surprised Pruitt got caught for cheating”. It was just a matter of time until he was exposed. Better now while the bottom has already dropped out than later when we may have fixed a few things. The good news is, no place to go but up from the past 12 years.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
TON of red flags.

Nobody could work with him. Awful offensive/QB management. Talked about running back to Saban if it sidn't work here. UT admin said they didn't think he'd last. Blatant/stupid cheating. Ragged on the fanbase. Had zero care to develop players, kept spouting "we'll just bring 25 new guys in..."

Hired Chaney OVER...YURCICH, BRILES, LEBBY. GOOD GOD!
Cornbread wouldn't let Chaney have any control over the offense:rolleyes:

Reactions: BigDave and sjt18
Infractions
3-7 Final Year

I never liked Pruitt and thought he was embarrassment in several ways. The fact that he cheated like he did can't be forgiven.

OP has to be trolling. Jeremy Beldar-Pruitt was an awful coach and many have shared reasons why he's an awful person as well.

Reading through this thread I have seen a dozen or more valid reasons why JBP was a god awful coach. The only redeeming factor that may be misconstrued as valid is the fact he rallied an 8 win season after inexplicable losses to start the season.

He is quite possibly the worst head coach in all of college athletics over the past decade.

VN Store

Back