Reality:

Haven't you ever heard that it's the journey and not the destination?

Yes, my favorite reference of it is in the Aerosmith tune Amazing.

I get off track sometimes when talking about all of this. I try to say a lot in as few words as to not make it tl;dr.

I don't think giving Pruitt the rest of this year and possibly next year just to make absolutely sure he ain't it, is any more stupid than firing him now and taking a chance on this administration getting it right "this time". GS loss or not. Last years Vandy and Mizz or not. We all knew he was a first time HC and was gonna trip over his deek. Many said it, it shouldn't be such a big surprise.

Anyway, how many people gave up and quit watching that Georgia game in 16 because they " knew " it was over. No way we win that game after their last TD.

Again, I'm not saying Pruitt WILL get it done, in fact I've agreed with many and said it ain't looking good, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that. But its not over.

Edit: in my haste I forgot...in all of my 40 years of watching Tennessee football, that 16 Georgia game was one I will never forget. Never.

Last edited:
Or he sees the roster for what it is. Coaches who recruited Stars instead of talent. There’s a reason the young guys get it and the old guys still don’t. Let’s face it with the except of a handful most of these guys were over rated. They can’t play to the level needed in the SEC and we have no other options.

Take our lumps now and see where we are next year and the year after.

This is a great point. There are way to many around here throwing around the recruiting star system to prove we have better talent than we do.
Drew Richmond was a good case in point. He's gone now, but dang.. throw all his stars out. Also the old guys are butthurt over the fact that by midseason, a freshman will be taking their place.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Losing to GA State in year 2 when you had all off season to prepare makes me pretty confident that this isn't the guy. That loss wasn't a personnel problem.
No. I imagine they though that game would be a win, so they used that prep time for Florida. Fulmer admitted to doing as much in the past. I'd bet it's actually pretty common.

Pruitt just screwed up and didn't get the win though.

This is a great point. There are way to many around here throwing around the recruiting star system to prove we have better talent than we do.
Drew Richmond was a good case in point. He's gone now, but dang.. throw all his stars out. Also the old guys are butthurt over the fact that by midseason, a freshman will be taking their place.

Exactly, Even our highly rated guys are struggling with technique. I do think they’ll pan out but again just something to think about.

Yes, my favorite reference of it is in the Aerosmith tune Amazing.

I get off track sometimes when talking about all of this. I try to say a lot in as few words as to not make it tl;dr.

I don't think giving Pruitt the rest of this year and possibly next year just to make absolutely sure he ain't it, is any more stupid than firing him now and taking a chance on this administration getting it right "this time". GS loss or not. Last years Vandy and Mizz or not. We all knew he was a first time HC and was gonna trip over his deek. Many said it, it shouldn't be such a big surprise.

Anyway, how many people gave up and quit watching that Georgia game in 16 because they " knew " it was over. No way we win that game after their last TD.

Again, I'm not saying Pruitt WILL get it done, in fact I've agreed with many and said it ain't looking good, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that. But its not over.

Edit: in my haste I forgot...in all of my 40 years of watching Tennessee football, that 16 Georgia game was one I will never forget. Never.
I don't think anyone is getting fired today or before November. Lose to the Mocs and things could change, but I don't see that happening. Even if we go 2-10 or 3-9, I think there are a lot of folks who will strain their necks to see improvement that justifies a year 3. Seems like the battle lines are already being drawn in contemplation of that possibility as though it's an eventuality. I'm all for having Pruitt ride out the season. No sense saddling anyone else with this mess right now.

Reactions: midnight orange
I don't think anyone is getting fired today or before November. Lose to the Mocs and things could change, but I don't see that happening. Even if we go 2-10 or 3-9, I think there are a lot of folks who will strain their necks to see improvement that justifies a year 3. Seems like the battle lines are already being drawn in contemplation of that possibility as though it's an eventuality. I'm all for having Pruitt ride out the season. No sense saddling anyone else with this mess right now.

With all due respect, same ole same ole. "If he" this "if he" that. You just said life's a journey not a destination. Enjoy the ride, that "hail Mary" pass could be thrown any day and you might miss it.

Or don't.

I agree with this. I have no idea what's really happening, but I suspect that, rightly or wrongly, Pruitt has given up on most of the upper-classmen. He's going to live or die (mostly) with the players he recruited.
I agree. And pray for competition.

Haslam owns the Cleveland Browns.....

Haslam is a major booster at UT ......

See anything in common?

Making UT the new Cleveland Browns of NCAA

Ok, I've decided we should have 2 rules for deciding when to fire the coach:

1) we have to punt because it's 3rd and long
2) we go for it on 4th down and don't make it

Just curious: How many of the Pruitt recruits are failing badly? Keep in mind they are at best a Sophomore or JUCO.

I know Alontae had a bad game but Morris, Wright and Burrell are true Freshmen. To'oto'o is playing really well as is Gray. With Bituli back, Crouch can go back to OLB which is what he has trained for.

Bottom Line: I think we have a real nice core of players going forward.

I believe in signing only 4 and 5 star players which includes the best player at every position.

I believe in signing only the players that the Team has evaluated as high potential, because a large part of star ratings is going to camps and the resulting exposure. We had many 4/5 star under Butch turn out to be duds and some of his 3 stars were very, very underrated (Cam Sutton).

I believe in signing only the players that the Team has evaluated as high potential, because a large part of star ratings is going to camps and the resulting exposure. We had many 4/5 star under Butch turn out to be duds and some of his 3 stars were very, very underrated (Cam Sutton).
I didn’t know how to put my post in blue. I really want us to sign the player our coaches think are the best for Tennessee. I think Pruitt did a very good job of recruiting very good players last year. I have heard some say that there was not a dud in the class. Two more years of that quality of recruits and Tennessee will be competing for SEC championships. Er would then have talent and depth at all positions. Then the fair-weather fans will be screaming for tickets and VOL stuff. Stay the course.

VN Store

Back