Reality:

I was just being honest. I don't know what the answer is. My whole point is Firing Pruitt and letting our administration hire another coach, is just as big of a gamble is giving him 3 years.

Im just astonished this has to be said.
I totally agree with you...
also what high profile coach would want to come here and coach if he sees us fire our coach after say 14 or 15 games or after 2 years...
they would not want to take that chance on ruining their reputation coming here if that happened...

Reactions: screenthis and Behr
Blah blah blah, how many times have we heard "let's hurry up and fire this coach and hire someone that can actually rebuild this program and stop this OTJT bs"?

I don't have the answer BTW, I just think its silly to think firing Pruitt is the " slam dunk" answer. That crowd that pushes it so hard are the same ones that makes fun of those that want to give him a little more time. They say "we've heard that before and look where it gets us". For heavens sake. Lol.

We've also fired coaches thinking we were going to get " Someone who could actually rebuild this program and stop the OTJT" ...and look where it gets us."

Its a roll of the dice either way and we've been down both roads before and neither has worked out for us. So I'm not sure where all the arrogant confidence comes from.
Losing to GA State in year 2 when you had all off season to prepare makes me pretty confident that this isn't the guy. That loss wasn't a personnel problem.

Losing to GA State in year 2 when you had all off season to prepare makes me pretty confident that this isn't the guy. That loss wasn't a personnel problem.
that is true...
it was an attitude problem with upperclassmen and that is why they saw limited time playing against BYU and the young guns took over

also what high profile coach would want to come here and coach if he sees us fire our coach after say 14 or 15 games or after 2 years...
they would not want to take that chance on ruining their reputation coming here if that happened...

Yea, I understand that but I didn't say all of that. I don't know how true that is. They say Mike Leach wanted to come here. Let's just say he would have been our Savior, he would have won a National Championship here within 3 years. Okay? Hypothetically. Where is he?

Let's say Urban Meyer has a press conference the day we fire Pruitt and says he wants to coach at Tennessee. Some will day they don't want him, that's not the point. The point is he is a proven winner and experienced SEC NC winning HC.

What in our past makes anyone think we hire him?? Or any other? We didn't hire Leach. Who we NOT gonna hire this time?

I

The reality is the players who are playing are either extremely young or players that were on the bench sitting behind players going 4-8 and 5-7.

The other reality is that these coaches can’t take those players and win games where they actually do have an edge in talent

Yea, I understand that but I didn't say all of that. I don't know how true that is. They say Mike Leach wanted to come here. Let's just say he would have been our Savior, he would have won a National Championship here within 3 years. Okay? Hypothetically. Where is he?

Let's say Urban Meyer has a press conference the day we fire Pruitt and says he wants to coach at Tennessee. Some will day they don't want him, that's not the point. The point is he is a proven winner and experienced SEC NC winning HC.

What in our past makes anyone think we hire him?? Or any other? We didn't hire Leach. Who we NOT gonna hire this time?

I
We've got a huge problem with AD and boosters. Will probably never change. It's really sad. This fanbase deserves better.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
This guy gets it.

Haha, Its always the same story around here. If I don't want to fire Pruitt... I love Pruitt and worship the coach and hump his leg and yadda yadda yadda. Gets old repeating myself and I run out of ways to say it differently. I could just stfu, but so could everyone else repeating themselves.

Reactions: Lurker
The reality of the current situation is- A. Coach is here unless a major scandal. B-. The quarterback, barring injury, will start. Under this scenario, if the young men keep playing hard and improving then a solid foundation will be set. Then the team can grow because of this basic foundation. If not, then coaching changes every 2 years. Only to never reach those heights again .
Yes, at this point, even if Pruitt still has some growing to do as HC, he's got a really good staff, and just need to hunker down and focus on getting better every week, and play the long game. We're in our current situation because of bad decisions, and changes always sets you back. Need our young talent to come along and JG to elevate his play. Chaney needs to be the QB whisperer, keep developing young OL, and bringing along young LB's, while shoring up assignments. I do think Bitulli coming back will do alot for stabilizing our D play calls, and eliminating some of the confusion on the defensive side. You'd think we've hit rock bottom, at this point.

To me, the difference between first couple years w/ Butch is that we were at more of a talent deficit, and you just didn't see much hope on the horizon for those particular seasons, but I think we've got some good young talent...so, we'll improve as a team this season, to the degree that our young players come along...and JG starts better understanding Chaney system. JG situation not ideal, but if Pruitt says he's the best we've got, I guess it is what it is...

Even if they don't, the thrill of the search will be a hell of a lot more fun than watching us get our tails kicked in all season.

But that's the same damn thing as you and Boro telling me not to get my hopes up and I'm just setting myself up for disappointment and all that crap. Blows my mind.

that is true...
it was an attitude problem with upperclassmen and that is why they saw limited time playing against BYU and the young guns took over
That was the problem in the Vandy game end of last season. Again, they had all off season to correct or decide to start a youth movement in Game 1. I don't want to be argumentative. I thought Pruitt was a bad hire when announced and I look forward to his departure. If he happens to win a championship here before he's run off, I'll probably change my mind.

Hadn’t you heard?

It takes at least 4-5 years, the coach has to have “his” players, and you can’t do it with freshman on the field.

That’s what VN says, and they don’t lie.

Inecxusable. Pruitt expended alot if equity with fanbase with that one. The 2019 Vols are not a finished product. You have to see if JG turns the corner, a la Crompton. See what u have on D when Bituli and Thompson return. I really think JG starts until we are past Ga game.

But that's the same damn thing as you and Boro telling me not to get my hopes up and I'm just setting myself up for disappointment and all that crap. Blows my mind.
Haven't you ever heard that it's the journey and not the destination?

We canned Jim McDonald after one season and hired Dickey. Vandy fired Robbie Caldwell after one season and hired James Franklin.

Reactions: feathersax
Yes, at this point, even if Pruitt still has some growing to do as HC, he's got a really good staff, and just need to hunker down and focus on getting better every week, and play the long game. We're in our current situation because of bad decisions, and changes always sets you back. Need our young talent to come along and JG to elevate his play. Chaney needs to be the QB whisperer, keep developing young OL, and bringing along young LB's, while shoring up assignments. I do think Bitulli coming back will do alot for stabilizing our D play calls, and eliminating some of the confusion on the defensive side. You'd think we've hit rock bottom, at this point.

To me, the difference between first couple years w/ Butch is that we were at more of a talent deficit, and you just didn't see much hope on the horizon for those particular seasons, but I think we've got some good young talent...so, we'll improve as a team this season, to the degree that our young players come along...and JG starts better understanding Chaney system. JG situation not ideal, but if Pruitt says he's the best we've got, I guess it is what it is...
The long game and consistency is the only way to BUILD a solid program.

Reactions: screenthis
I don't think Fulmer or the powers that be cut bait on Pruitt this year or next but there is almost nothing to suggest so far that he's building any kind of workable foundation here.

VN Store

Back