Realistic Florida Coaching Candidates?

Money isn't the issue in this manner.

Florida's got the money that none of that is the problem.

The problem is, in today's world of college football, money really isn't that big a deal.

What I mean by that is that most of the school's that you could get a coach from could be outbid years ago. That's really not the case now.

For instance, take Mike Gundy or the current coach at Oregon. Years ago, Florida could write a check and Oregon or Oklahoma State couldn't match it. Now, they can. Now, they can choose not to match it. But, if they wanted to they could.

And all that means that for most of the possibilities a school would turn to in order to make a hire, something other than money has to be the reason they take the job.

I don't think Foley is going to break the bank on a hire. He hasn't done it in the past. I don't see anything that leads me to believe he is going to throw serious cash this time either. I think money will play more of a factor than you think. If he gets a guy with a large buyout while paying all the other buyouts. Say 2 years that guy isn't winning. Then you are in serious trouble. Look at UT. They have no lack of donors. Yet the deal with Fulmer,facility upgrades, Kiffin, Dooley killed our cash flow.

I don't think Foley is going to break the bank on a hire. He hasn't done it in the past. I don't see anything that leads me to believe he is going to throw serious cash this time either. I think money will play more of a factor than you think. If he gets a guy with a large buyout while paying all the other buyouts. Say 2 years that guy isn't winning. Then you are in serious trouble. Look at UT. They have no lack of donors. Yet the deal with Fulmer,facility upgrades, Kiffin, Dooley killed our cash flow.

Not choosing to do it and not having the ability to do it are two different things.

Not choosing to do it and not having the ability to do it are two different things.

Unfortunately Foley isn't as big an idiot as Mike Hamilton. He isn't going to hire the big splash the fans want but he will hire a guy that isn't going to nose dive the program either. If he doesn't at least get a decent hire out of this, his days as AD will be numbered.

The biggest problem with NFL guys coaching College
V is recruiting. I'm not sold on their ability to recruit or them even wanting to participate in the mundane duty of visiting potential recruits.

Pete Carroll was a NFL guy. Recruited pretty well.

Bill O'Brien did a great job considering the sanctions at PSU. He had prior college background thou.

This is where you're incorrect. I don't see him going over 7 million for anyone but he has to open the check book. Booster donations, ticket sales and merchandising is down across the board this hire is too important for long term revenue. An IPF, new dorms and renovations on BGH are scheduled to begin on 2016.

What scares me is Florida seems to mimic Microsoft, every other coach/release is good. Florida is due for a good one.

One thing for sure, hiring a new coach never goes as planned. I've already seen buyout concerns, refusals, etc from the top guys on list. It's really a crap shoot. Who would of thought Muschamp would be a bust? I'm glad we are not going thru that mess again. I've already heard some people in the media running down the facilities at fla. It's what they do.

Haven't read all of the posts but what about Kyle Whittingham of Utah or Paul Johnson of GT. They are probably good coaches that can be bought by Florida

I'm telling you guys Jim chaney would be a great hire. except for the OP you are fooling yourselves with some of the names you are throwing out right now.

Pete Carroll is not either...so get that out of our head. Florida is going to wind up with someone who is ready for something bigger than where they are at now.

Haven't read all of the posts but what about Kyle Whittingham of Utah or Paul Johnson of GT. They are probably good coaches that can be bought by Florida

Whittingham hasn't been able to sustain Urban Meyers success there so I don't think Florida would be interested. As for Paul Johnson the offense he runs most major programs won't take that leap of faith because you aren't going to attract any decent throwing qb no matter how awesome on the ground. Tommy Frazier isn't walking through that door. That offense is toast if you get behind in the game. And with how good SEC defenses are you will be down often in second halves. So Paul Johnson is about the peak institution imo. He won't ever get an offer from a better job that GT.

Whittingham hasn't been able to sustain Urban Meyers success there so I don't think Florida would be interested. As for Paul Johnson the offense he runs most major programs won't take that leap of faith because you aren't going to attract any decent throwing qb no matter how awesome on the ground. Tommy Frazier isn't walking through that door. That offense is toast if you get behind in the game. And with how good SEC defenses are you will be down often in second halves. So Paul Johnson is about the peak institution imo. He won't ever get an offer from a better job that GT.

whittingham was the one that smoked saban in 08 and he took utah into the pac 12 and it took time but now he has them beating some of the best teams in that conference

urban played a boise st type schedule in his utah days

utah beat ucla, usc, & stanford this yr and lost to asu 16-19

Last edited:

VN Store

Back