Realistic expectations now that Solomon is eligible!!!

Well well... I came back to say I have been wrong about something all over these boards and stand (well lounge) corrected again. Solomon will get to play next year too I think, so scratch that. It is huge news because he will play again next year after having a year to develop. I still don’t think he makes that big of a difference this year because of the other injuries and Thompson may be done for good.

Regarding the SC game, being at home gives us a ceiling of 8 games this year IMO.
I think 8 wins gets Tennessee an invitation to the Music City or Belk Bowls while a 9 win season gets Tennessee a bid to the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl or Outback Bowl.

I think 8 wins gets Tennessee an invitation to the Music City or Belk Bowls while a 9 win season gets Tennessee a bid to the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl or Outback Bowl.
Frankly, I would be happy with any bowl this year considering we haven’t been bowling in two. But we need as many Ws as possible this year to help us with those patient recruits!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
And I will ride piggyback on you squealing in delight as we do the reverse cowboy.
Needless to say, I don’t think I need to stock up on any lubricant.
10-2 Ain’t gonna happen. But I do love the enthusiasm.

Personally, I find your all's enthusiasm disturbing. Avoiding I75 north, just on the outside chance you two are serious.

15-0. We have a killer record in Gainesville over the past 15 years. Bama is down. Getting Solomon probably pushes our talent level at or above Georgia's. We own Missouri and Vanderbilt.

Once we've run the table, we never poop the bed at the SECCG. Playoffs should be a breeze, as Lawrence will be running for his life with Aubrey on the prowl.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I feel confident in saying our Defense will be much improved and our record will look like this...

GSU - W
BYU - W
CHAT - W
FLA - W
UGA - L
MSU - W
ALA - L
USC - W
UAB - W
UK - W
MIZ - W
VAN - W

Our glaring weaknesses were the OL and the DL and with the additions of Wright and Morris and the news about Trey the Offense is going to be stout this year. I can’t wait to see what Chaney does with this team. On the defensive side of the ball the news about Solomon was huge because I feel he was the missing piece and Ansley and Pruitt will put together a great defense that will shock some people. My shades are on and all I see is ORANGE!!! Flame away.

I dont think this changes things much at all. The OL is still a problem until they PROVE it isnt. So having any kind of realistic projection of improvement is nearly impossible. I'm sticking with 7-5 until a year where they prove me wrong.

How much depth do we need? We are going to play 10 OL, 10 DL, we have 3 quality RBs, at least 6 good WRs, at least 7 LBs that will play. We do lack depth at CB but that's all. Depth is no longer a problem.
Depth is absolutely a problem. Their 2 deep across the board looks pretty good compared to our 2 deep, IMO of course.

The back end of the schedule is going to be the determining factor on final record. I think we win and lose all games we should through the Bama game with UF a toss-up. That gauntlet will strain our depth and experience.

Injuries and depth for USC, UAB, UK, MIZ, and VAN will be the difference between 6 wins and 8/9 wins. You can't tell me we weren't a better team than Vandy last season...we just ran out of steam, and I still think MIZ won't be as good as advertised. Whether we beat them will be a different story. Talent-wise we have a favorable match-up with all the back end teams, its just a matter if we will have enough fresh bodies to win them.

JMO.

But you don't seem to think that is a problem at Alabama?
I said we don't match up in talent with Bama, I didn't say anything about their depth. Alabama can have all the depth issues they want when they roll out on offense and have 10 former 5 stars and one 4 star. You see the difference, right?

Personally, I find your all's enthusiasm disturbing. Avoiding I75 north, just on the outside chance you two are serious.

So, are you saying that if the Vols are 9-2 heading into the Vandy game, that you would root for Vandy ? 🙀👎👀

I said we don't match up in talent with Bama, I didn't say anything about their depth. Alabama can have all the depth issues they want when they roll out on offense and have 10 former 5 stars and one 4 star. You see the difference, right?
No, you said depth was a problem because we were playing Fr but you don't seem to think Alabama has that problem even though they are going to play just as many as we do.

I'm going to be a bit more pessimistic/realistic here. Pruitt will have his men ready, but the talent gap is still obvious. Mullen is a proven head coach with a good offensive mindset. He'll have the offense fixed by the time Tennessee visits. MSU will be coming off a bye week while Tennessee will be recovering from Georgia and looking ahead to Alabama. And Mizzou just has the Vols' number right now. I will agree that we somehow get over the Muschamp hurdle. 7-5 is the ceiling.

GSU - W
BYU - W
CHAT - W
FLA - W ****L****
UGA - L
MSU - W ****L****
ALA - L
USC - W
UAB - W
UK - W
MIZ - W ****L****
VAN - W

No, you said depth was a problem because we were playing Fr but you don't seem to think Alabama has that problem even though they are going to play just as many as we do.
Not sure why you're so fixated on comparing us to Alabama when it's night and day right now. When Alabama has losing seasons 7/10 years and has been through 5 coaches in the same time frame, then sure, I'll think it's a problem for Alabama. Until then, it's a resounding no, I don't think that our depth problems and their problems are even comparable.

Reactions: BeardedVol
Not sure why you're so fixated on comparing us to Alabama when it's night and day right now. When Alabama has losing seasons 7/10 years and has been through 5 coaches in the same time frame, then sure, I'll think it's a problem for Alabama. Until then, it's a resounding no, I don't think that our depth problems and their problems are even comparable.
Lol, ok. According to you, even though we seem to be 2 deep at nearly every position we have a depth problem because many are Fr, yet teams like Alabama don't have depth problems because their name is Alabama. We don't have a depth problem, we have an experience problem.

15-0. We have a killer record in Gainesville over the past 15 years. Bama is down. Getting Solomon probably pushes our talent level at or above Georgia's. We own Missouri and Vanderbilt.

Once we've run the table, we never poop the bed at the SECCG. Playoffs should be a breeze, as Lawrence will be running for his life with Aubrey on the prowl.

I may be wrong, but I detect a little bit of sarcasm here.

VN Store

Back