Rant central

I’d try something....mascia? Russell? I would still leave Benito as DH. To me, his defense is the primary problem.

I’d try something....mascia? Russell? I would still leave Benito as DH. To me, his defense is the primary problem.

Coach Elander was a fantastic catcher during his time at TCU, so he clearly knows the position well. He has well as the rest of the staff know who can do the best job behind the plate as of right now. Obviously Benito is not good defensively, but he is the best we have right now. We have a stud catcher coming in next year that hopefully makes it to campus instead of going straight to pro ball.

I know Russell is listed as a catcher on Perfect Game, but we played against him several times the past 3 springs and he was never behind the plate. He was always at SS or 3B. He would be really raw I think.

from D1 Baseball's Ouch List this morning:

– MIDDLE OF THE TENNESSEE BATTING ORDER
What Happened: The 3-4-5 hitters went 1-for-35 at South Carolina
Why It Hurts: It’s the reason UT went winless at Founders Park
Andre Lipcius, Benito Santiago and Brodie Leftridge went a combined 1-for-35 for the three games at SoCar. That included going 1-for-15 with runners in scoring position and also eight Ks. In game three on Saturday, Lipcius came up to bat in the top of the seventh inning with the bases loaded and hoping to add to a 3-2 lead. But instead he grounded out to end the threat. The Gamecocks came back to win game three 6-to-3 and completed the sweep. After a 13-6 start to the season, the Big Orange is now 4-6 over the last 16 days.

Andre Lipcius, Benito Santiago and Brodie Leftridge went a combined 1-for-35 for the three games at SoCar. That included going 1-for-15 with runners in scoring position and also eight Ks. In game three on Saturday, Lipcius came up to bat in the top of the seventh inning with the bases loaded and hoping to add to a 3-2 lead. But instead he grounded out to end the threat. The Gamecocks came back to win game three 6-to-3 and completed the sweep. After a 13-6 start to the season, the Big Orange is now 4-6 over the last 16 days.

That's bad on all sorts of levels. I hate to rag on Santiago, but he's not a 4-hole hitter. He's just not. He needs to be about 7th.

I will add more astounding number to the rant thread.

Walters State has won 26 in a row and is ranked number 1 in the land for jucos and oh yea our coach felt the need to burn that bridge before even coaching a game

Reactions: 1 person

Walters State has won 26 in a row and is ranked number 1 in the land for jucos and oh yea our coach felt the need to burn that bridge before even coaching a game

I'm only asking because I don't know, over the last number of years how many Walter State guys have we brought in that have contributed on a SEC level?

I'm only asking because I don't know, over the last number of years how many Walter State guys have we brought in that have contributed on a SEC level?

A boat load.

I'd say On average 3 per year have signed with ACC or SEC schools

Last edited:

So, what’s the answer? Begin by asking the question is the program (aka coaching staff) teaching any type of hitting / plate approach. From what I’ve seen-NO! Hit behind a runner-nope! Go opposite field-only by mistake. Shorten the swing deep in a count-for what? And, a situational approach-what’s that? Baseball hitting 101 is missing.
Okay-yes, you cannot dispute the 1 for 35 stat… Santiago straight “pull everything” and Leftridge warning track, upper cut mentality are killing a team that needs the older guys to statistically lead. But, are the coaches stressing an opposite field swing approach to Benito or a gap to gap approach to Brodie? For that matter, how about a “let’s be patient” conversation with your top hitter Lipcius.
For many it’s easy to say wait till next year, etc etc etc but, until Vitello puts a noticeable, consistent hitting philosophy in place nothing will change.

look at the Conference only hitting stats alone...Explains the Recent Struggles....Freshman leading the team in hitting during conference play. We have 2 Starters hitting over .300 and Batting .213 as a team....I might Consider moving some around in the line up...Seems like there's some that feel Entitled to bat in Certain spots....I'd put the guys that are having the best at bats as a whole in Conference play at the top and Go play....And I wouldn't just keep having the SAME things happen game in and game out...We all watch the same games...Look at the #'s....they confirm what we all see...Don't always tell the whole story...for instance...BS hit several hard balls this weekend that where caught but so did others, that's baseball....but a 4 hole hitter batting .100 in conference play...Don't care who the Coach is...Not going to win much with these type numbers... As a Coach , it's tough when your only 2 seniors are hitting below 200 in conference....As far as approach, if your playing in the SEC...you've got to be able to make adjustments and there's only so much a Coach can do...At the end of the day ...It's got to be all about THE TEAM...NOT SURE OUR OLDER KIDS give us that.....JMO....

30 games isn't enough imo but 9 certainly isn't.

Can you imagine making lineup decisions based off the first week and 2 days of the season for hitters in the mlb?

So we need to wait on what, 3 years, of stats to make it worthwhile? When that's the schedule, that's the schedule.

And the % equivalency is 49 games of the MLB season.

So we need to wait on what, 3 years, of stats to make it worthwhile? When that's the schedule, that's the schedule.

And the % equivalency is 49 games of the MLB season.

Huh?

No use the entire body of work. Not games where the best arms are being faced. I will make a wager we won't have a single hitter hit .300 in SEC play and also there won't be many on any of the 14 teams.

Sure looks like we could use Duncan Pence about right now.

What CTV do to p off the WS coach?

Sure looks like we could use Duncan Pence about right now.

What CTV do to p off the WS coach?

Refused to release Hunter wolfe. Wolfe went back to walters and he woudnt release him to be recruited for next season.

Any word on Stapp's return. V made it sound the kid just needed a few games rest. In the mean time, why not rotate 3rd with a different face or two the current .891 fielding % and .113 BA doesn't scream every day guy.

VN Store

Back