Random thoughts on former coaches thread.....

I was at every home game that year. I got a lot of studying done during the games. The last game before going 5-22 was the 101-40 beat down at Rupp in the SECT. Night of the blizzard of the century.
I want to say it was Ole Miss that I was at. I just remembered we won the game. My dad told me and my brother as we were leaving "Remember this game." I have no idea why he told us. But I remembered.

I remember watching that utter beat down the season before. Allan Houston's final game, iirc.

Devoe got a win at LSU when their clock operator was slow starting it and TN had a last second put back for the win. Devoe put his team on the bus without showering or changing and got the heck out of Dodge... at the same time Dale Brown grabbed the mic from the public address guy and told the LSU fans to stick around and they’d replay the last possession.

Reactions: knox73 and Sea Ray
I want to say it was Ole Miss that I was at. I just remembered we won the game. My dad told me and my brother as we were leaving "Remember this game." I have no idea why he told us. But I remembered.

I remember watching that utter beat down the season before. Allan Houston's final game, iirc.

Yes. KY shut Houston down that night in 1993.

Devoe got a win at LSU when their clock operator was slow starting it and TN had a last second put back for the win. Devoe put his team on the bus without showering or changing and got the heck out of Dodge... at the same time Dale Brown grabbed the mic from the public address guy and told the LSU fans to stick around and they’d replay the last possession.

Dale Brown was a poor man's Bobby Knight. Didn't he go after Carlus Groves, ready for a fight?

Reactions: cardvolfan
He's not a coach, but does anyone remember Doug Roth? Is their video aywhere of him telling the LSU fans they are #1 with both his hands?

Reactions: i2amavol
The school was great at one time. So do you have something against Will or Tellico? He done a good job at Hiwassee from what I seen had them in Elite Eight while there. Yes, now the school does not exist due to poor management and facilities for many years prior.

I know Will and I like him. It was just a joke about him.

OP, Steven Pearl was actually a pretty solid defensive player form what I remember lol

Dale Brown was a poor man's Bobby Knight. Didn't he go after Carlus Groves, ready for a fight?
Yes he did. Groves was doing everything he could to guard Shaquille O'Neal and Shaq didn't appreciate the efforts of Carlus. Eventually, the two of them got tangled up and Shaq started swinging at Groves. Brown immediately came off the LSU bench to protect his star, who probably had at least 5 inches and 40-50 pounds on Groves.

Last edited:
Wade actually had a decent roster in the 5-22 season. I wish that Wade could have been successful. He’s such a nice man. He was a great recruiter for Denny Crum.

That hire came down to either Wade or Leonard Hamilton after Pat Kennedy turned down Dickey and decided to stay at Florida State. Lamar Alexander made Dickey hire Wade. Leonard Hamilton wouldn’t have missed the NCAAT 5 years in a row.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Wade actually had a decent roster in the 5-22 season. I wish that Wade could have been successful. He’s such a nice man. He was a great recruiter for Denny Crum.

That hire came down to either Wade or Leonard Hamilton after Pat Kennedy turned down Dickey and decided to stay at Florida State. Lamar Alexander made Dickey hire Wade. Leonard Hamilton wouldn’t have missed the NCAAT 5 years in a row.
Yeah, Wade did have some really good players that abysmal year, and it was hard to understand they could have been that poor as a team.

I was at every home game that year. I got a lot of studying done during the games. The last game before going 5-22 was the 101-40 beat down at Rupp in the SECT. Night of the blizzard of the century.
I was at those games. I was the guy in orange.

Yeah, Wade did have some really good players that abysmal year, and it was hard to understand they could have been that poor as a team.
Ed Gray and Stevie Hamer were in that squad. Lamarcus Golden was an under appreciated player as well. That team should've easily had 6-7 wins that year. 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
The concessions cost more than the tickets during Wade’s coaching days. Scalpers on the street could hardly get rid of them.

OP, Steven Pearl was actually a pretty solid defensive player form what I remember lol
He was terrible at first and had no business out there but he actually developed into a decent player.

He was terrible at first and had no business out there but he actually developed into a decent player.

He filled the role as a thug quite well. Couldn’t make a free throw though which was kind of weird for a coach’s boy. He certainly stole minutes from far more talented players.

We have had two good coaches since Mears. Pearl and Barnes. I am a big fan of both. Barnes is my favorite because he currently coaches my team. It's that simple.

VN Store

Back