Random thoughts on former coaches thread.....

He still loves UT. I'll always have a soft spot for Bruce. Back in 2007, my brother suddenly passed away and I went to Big Orange Caravan in CLT w/ Pat Summit, Fulmer and Bruce all in attendance. I went to get balls signed for my brother's kids, and when Pearl found out about my situation, not only did he spend time talking w/ me (as did Pat and Fulmer), but Bruce insisted upon sitting with me during the dinner. He was such a "real" person...who you saw on TV is same genuine guy in person. Hated that he got railroaded for something so minor (think about it...he got 3 years show cause for lying about hot dogs at a bbq, but Will Wade is still coaching w/ no end in sight)...but, everything's worked out for UT and Bruce, so, I'm good. Aub my second fav bball team b/c of Bruce.
Yup, he was the most accessible coach we’ve ever had. He literally would give the shirt off his back for UT. Yes, he had a little different ethic, but the same admin that ****ed up the football program is the one that set him up and turned on him.
it’s pathetic to see these people hoping **** goes down at Auburn.

Yup, he was the most accessible coach we’ve ever had. He literally would give the shirt off his back for UT. Yes, he had a little different ethic, but the same admin that ****ed up the football program is the one that set him up and turned on him.

He didn’t give his assistant coaches the shirt off of his back when he got them all fired.

More pathetic than people pining after bruce?

I guess that’s why they went back to work for him when he got a new job. Bruce was to the likes of Jones.
Jones was the only coach to return to Bruce and he had the most invested with Pearl of any of the three assistants. He was also toiling around in high school basketball at the time, and his time in Auburn lasted one year. Jason Shay and Steve Forbes wouldn't piss on Pearl if he were on fire.

Reactions: Vol49er and zjcvols
I never understood the hate. He was not very athletic, but he knew what to do, and played hard. It's not like he played a ton.

His negative plays far outweighed the positive ones. Playing over Maybin was a joke. Also, Stephen was a prick.

Bruce Pearl slept with my wife.

I'm kidding ...but that sounds like something he would do. Good coach...but that's about all I have to say about him.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
His negative plays far outweighed the positive ones. Playing over Maybin was a joke. Also, Stephen was a prick.
Maymon, not Maybin. And Pearl played over him because Maymon fancied himself a guard who wanted to play on the perimeter, which is the primary reason he transferred from Marquette. He wasn't very coachable under Buzz Williams at Marquette or Bruce at Tennessee. Once Cuonzo convinced him he was a forward and he focused his efforts there, he blossomed and became the player most Vol fans remember him being.

Reactions: walkenvol
Here is a random thought.......
What if Pat Head Summit in her prime, had taken over as Head Coach, of the Men's team? Thoughts?

Here is a random thought.......
What if Pat Head Summit in her prime, had taken over as Head Coach, of the Men's team? Thoughts?
Don't think she would have been successful. Not as much as people would have hoped. She dominated the women's game for so long primarily because she was getting any recruit she wanted. She wouldn't have been able to pull recruits to the men's game the same way. Look what happened when Auriemma started getting recruits....TN didn't have the same level of success.

It would have tarnished her legacy in my opinion.

VN Store

Back