Random thoughts on former coaches thread.....

jasonvols2.2

Any random memory, complaint, or question goes here.

I talked to a former player who played for Jerry Green. He told me that Green was intelligent, but he was a push over, and not respected or feared by his players. I also heard a story where he was late for a the pre game activities. There was also a time where he did not come to the locker room at halftime, because he was shooting the **** with an usher.

Pearl - Everything changed after the big Memphis win. He got to big for his britches. His son was a **** player. For some reason, he had a time recruiting guards. Still loved him.

Say what you want about Pearl but he loved the university.
He still loves UT. I'll always have a soft spot for Bruce. Back in 2007, my brother suddenly passed away and I went to Big Orange Caravan in CLT w/ Pat Summit, Fulmer and Bruce all in attendance. I went to get balls signed for my brother's kids, and when Pearl found out about my situation, not only did he spend time talking w/ me (as did Pat and Fulmer), but Bruce insisted upon sitting with me during the dinner. He was such a "real" person...who you saw on TV is same genuine guy in person. Hated that he got railroaded for something so minor (think about it...he got 3 years show cause for lying about hot dogs at a bbq, but Will Wade is still coaching w/ no end in sight)...but, everything's worked out for UT and Bruce, so, I'm good. Aub my second fav bball team b/c of Bruce.

I went to Kevin O’Neill’s basketball camp when I was around 12. He and his staff used the worst language I have ever heard in my life especially KO. He had a great mind for the game. I remember he took the time to show me some post moves and interior defense for about ten minutes.

Dale Ellis cited working on his defense under Devoe as a reason for staying for his senior year instead of opting for the NBA draft after his junior year,

Reactions: kbear01
Tennessee and Oklahoma were the last two D-1 schools to have both the school name AND the nickname on their jerseys. “Oklahoma Sooners” and “Tennessee Volunteers” were grandfathered. Kevin O’Neill, in one of his ****head moves, removed “Volunteers” from the jerseys. The rules were just recently changed to allow both again.

Reactions: Flovol
Say what you want about Pearl but he loved the university.
Ehhh idk he's pretty much a narcissist who only cares about himself who throws his coaches under the bus but whatever you can hold on to that mini run of success he had that set our program back for years until we were lucky enough to land Coach Barnes. If Barnes hadn't been available Hart would have hired "Coach Google his name". I'd go out on a limb and say we'd probably be looking for like our 4th or 5th coach after Pearl right now and being in the bottom of the SEC too.

When I was a student at Hiwassee College back in the 80's, Coach Hugh Watson introduced me to a former Vol basketball player named Stacey Thomas who was thinking about going to play basketball for Hiwassee.

He never did play for Hiwassee.

When I was a student at Hiwassee College back in the 80's, Coach Hugh Watson introduced me to a former Vol basketball player named Stacey Thomas who was thinking about going to play basketball for Hiwassee.

He never did play for Hiwassee.

They use to have a very strong program. They sent a couple of guys to LSU and Tennesee. A couple of years ago they were coached by some redneck named Will Raby from Tellico. Now, the school does not exist.

Reactions: Volfan1000
They use to have a very strong program. They sent a couple of guys to LSU and Tennesee. A couple of years ago they were coached by some redneck named Will Raby from Tellico. Now, the school does not exist.

Yep, the college shuttered their doors in 2017.

Ehhh idk he's pretty much a narcissist who only cares about himself who throws his coaches under the bus but whatever you can hold on to that mini run of success he had that set our program back for years until we were lucky enough to land Coach Barnes. If Barnes hadn't been available Hart would have hired "Coach Google his name". I'd go out on a limb and say we'd probably be looking for like our 4th or 5th coach after Pearl right now and being in the bottom of the SEC too.
Please elaborate on how he set us back for "years". He left us with better facilities, and a higher profile program. We hired a couple of duds after him. That's what set us back.

We went to Athens for the game and were near courtside - we got to Stegeman early, the team was getting loose and lo and behold Bruce saw our orange and came over and thanked us for the support. I gestured to the wife and said something like "well Coach, I couldn't think of a better Valentine's present." He thumped me on the chest and laughed - said "you romantic devil...maybe I shoulda tried that." Later Chris Lofton rained in a ton of 3s and we made the long drive home happy.

I'm still a big CBP fan. And the "maybe I shoulda tried that" - we always wondered if his marriage to Kim was already on the rocks (she divorced him less than a year after that game).

Reactions: VolAllen

The school was great at one time. So do you have something against Will or Tellico? He done a good job at Hiwassee from what I seen had them in Elite Eight while there. Yes, now the school does not exist due to poor management and facilities for many years prior.

VN Store

Back