Questions From Noobs:Tennessee Baseball Edition

I’m wondering if there is a strategy for which pitcher pitches Friday, Saturday or Sunday and for the midweek games.
How does Vitello determine the rotation?

He and CFA sat down over a cold one.

ball.jpg

I’m the first to admit that I jumped on the bandwagon late last season. It was an exciting time and everyone in this forum was very warm and welcoming. It would be nice to have a thread where us noobs could ask questions and learn about Tennessee Baseball from the passionate regulars.

Absolutely. Welcome aboard. I want to see this program supported by as many as possible.

I’m wondering if there is a strategy for which pitcher pitches Friday, Saturday or Sunday and for the midweek games.
How does Vitello determine the rotation?

So far in the CTV/CFA era, it’s been what I guess you would say is, according to plan. Once they have settled on starters they stick with it. Obviously the Tidwell injury and Halvorsen injury might cloud the picture in a very positive way.

During the Serrano era, he did on occasion take the Friday guy and move him to Sunday, for instance, because it gave us the best chance to at least win one. The midweek is where things are really different IMO between the two staffs. Of course, CDS never really had 4 starters, to be fair. One might argue he never had three. CDS was a pitching guy coming from a completely different baseball culture, whether it was the philosophy or the recruiting or both, we never looked like we belonged with the upper echelon of teams. However, I think if he had what we have now, he’d be handling the pitching staff similarly. I mean no disrespect to the previous staff I have fond memories of that time period and appreciate their efforts, as well as the players.

GBO!!!

So far in the CTV/CFA era, it’s been what I guess you would say is, according to plan. Once they have settled on starters they stick with it. Obviously the Tidwell injury and Halvorsen injury might cloud the picture in a very positive way.

During the Serrano era, he did on occasion take the Friday guy and move him to Sunday, for instance, because it gave us the best chance to at least win one. The midweek is where things are really different IMO between the two staffs. Of course, CDS never really had 4 starters, to be fair. One might argue he never had three. CDS was a pitching guy coming from a completely different baseball culture, whether it was the philosophy or the recruiting or both, we never looked like we belonged with the upper echelon of teams. However, I think if he had what we have now, he’d be handling the pitching staff similarly. I mean no disrespect to the previous staff I have fond memories of that time period and appreciate their efforts, as well as the players.

GBO!!!
Thanks 66

Reactions: ArdentVol and vol66
Slightly longer version: baseball has 11.7 scholarships to give out (many other sports have full scholarships to give out). And, someone please correct me if I’m wrong, each player gets at least .25 scholarship.

Players can earn academic and need based scholarships as well, on top of the baseball scholarship. But there’s often a money gap between tuition/room/board/etc. and the scholarship money. And if you’re an out of state student, that money gap can be huge. Add in the various economics of families as well.

We had a Vanderbilt guy play for us one summer. I asked his dad how that school did things. His son was guaranteed for four years scholarships that were either 75% or 80% (I don’t recall which one) of the cost to attend Vanderbilt. In the recruitment process, his son was also offered by a real good ACC program as well. However the ACC coach couldn’t match what Vanderbilt offered, and I was told the ACC head coach said ‘I don’t know how Vanderbilt does it.’

they were fairly generous w/ scholarships when i was getting out of hs in 68

Reactions: vol66
2 questions

How many teams make the Sec tournament?

How do they determine who gets to host regionals and super regionals?

Reactions: Coach_Z
2 questions

They put the team hats in a box and shake it really hard. Then the Sankey man reaches in and pulls out a hat one by one. This is how they are seeded in reverse order. Only 12 teams get to go to the tournament, because who wants to see the 13 and 14 teams play anymore bad baseball.
The hosting of the regionals is done in similar fashion except in involves a coin flip and some type of magic incantation that no one really understand.
There, hope I helped ya.

Reactions: txbo
2 questions

12 teams.

Championship - Baseball

Lots of factors in hosting, but the long and short of it is where you’re ranked, body of work, recently, SOS, RPI, etc…you also have to have a certain size stadium to be able to handle all the visitors. I don’t have that number off the top of my head.

12 teams.

Championship - Baseball

Lots of factors in hosting, but the long and short of it is where you’re ranked, body of work, recently, SOS, RPI, etc…you also have to have a certain size stadium to be able to handle all the visitors. I don’t have that number off the top of my head.
Come on man. You know he was totally going to buy my scenario, hook, line, and sinker.

I will add we were the 12 team a couple times and it came down to the last game of the season at least twice. We had to win and somebody else had to lose so we could go to Hoover. This is during the Serrano era. Talk about being hyped and sweating bullets at the same time?

I will add we were the 12 team a couple times and it came down to the last game of the season at least twice. We had to win and somebody else had to lose so we could go to Hoover. This is during the Serrano era. Talk about being hyped and sweating bullets at the same time?
I recall a few times sitting at LNS on the last game of the year having to know the different scenarios of what other schools had to win or lose for Tennessee just to get to Hoover. I don’t miss those days one bit.

They put the team hats in a box and shake it really hard. Then the Sankey man reaches in and pulls out a hat one by one. This is how they are seeded in reverse order. Only 12 teams get to go to the tournament, because who wants to see the 13 and 14 teams play anymore bad baseball.
The hosting of the regionals is done in similar fashion except in involves a coin flip and some type of magic incantation that no one really understand.
There, hope I helped ya.
Lmao

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back