Question about the QBs

Practice don’t make perfect, practice makes preparations, nobody’s perfect. Out of 100 drs somebody graduated last...

Interesting thought. So we're only playing Brian because the season is a loss, but then we end up getting a win over an SEC opponent. So do we now consider the season no longer completely lost, and go back to starting Jarrett?

it would be ironic. The season was a loss primarily because of Jarrett's performance, so we play Brian instead. Then, as soon as the season's no longer a loss, we go back to starting the guy who caused the season to be a loss in the first place. Makes total sense.
It was a loss because of the defense. Now if you want to blame the qb I guess it's BMs fault UGA beat us too.

JG has been better. BM gave us a spark for literally one quarter. Hasn't done anything since.

Yes we are just seeing if he can be the future and this is basically a hail Mary to spark the team.

You do realize that we beat better teams than MSU with JG right? Also with way better individual performances by him than BM has put up.

How does that math work?

You can talk about all the past seasons you want leave your math there. This season JG is a hot mess mentally. If you haven't seen the amount of times he has missed open receivers when passing for a two yard loss then your math for this season is what doesn't add up. He has left so much out there on the field. Maurer is our best chance. Period.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It was a loss because of the defense.

So, in your world, the defense has performed so badly that coach Pruitt decided to treat the season as a lost cause and bench Jarrett, who deserved to keep playing. Man that makes coach Pruitt the worst person in the universe. He should be fired immediately.

The math goes like this:

(What you said) + (365 days since it was true) = (No longer relevant)
How about this math?

45.8% to 63.8%
4 ints 48 attempts vs 4ints 105 attempts
2tds to 8tds
7.6ypa vs 8.2ypa
5sacks in 48attempts vs 8 sacks in 105 attempts
106.6 rating vs 149.8 rating

You can talk about all the past seasons you want leave your math there. This season JG is a hot mess mentally. If you haven't seen the amount of times he has missed open receivers when passing for a two yard loss then your math for this season is what doesn't add up. He has left so much out there on the field. Maurer is our best chance. Period.
I guess that means BM has been garbage then. Even with all this he has been much worse.

Which stats do you want to compare? BM is throwing shorter passes, less accurately and throws a pick every 12 passes.

How about this math?

45.8% to 63.8%
4 ints 48 attempts vs 4ints 105 attempts
2tds to 8tds
7.6ypa vs 8.2ypa
5sacks in 48attempts vs 8 sacks in 105 attempts
106.6 rating vs 149.8 rating

Can't counter what I said about it being a year since it was true, huh? So naturally you pivot back to a Bryan vs Jarrett argument.

To your infatuation with stats I'll say this, yes if we were playing college fantasy football both quarterbacks would still be free agents. No one would own either one. But that's not what we're talking about here.

I guess that means BM has been garbage then. Even with all this he has been much worse.

Which stats do you want to compare? BM is throwing shorter passes, less accurately and throws a pick every 12 passes.

I'm glad you're a JG fan. He a great Vol and had a big heart and doesn't quit. MB stats are vs Georgia and Mississippi State. JG stats are vs two cupcakes (one loss out of the two), BYU and Gators. JG doesn't see the field. MB gives the team a better chance.

For any of you who followed the off season closely, especially those of you who may have had access to practices:

What made JG look so much better than BM and JTS?

On the hindsite side of it BM just looks so much better. I know he was young but I have a hard time accepting the fact that he somehow just started clicking the week before they decided to make the change. How could his ability not have been noticed prior to the train wreck that we witnessed? I hope that the light bulb clicked for the coaches that said “we need better situational drills to identify who’s a gamer versus someone who is just good at drills”. I for one am generally pleased with the coaches. But this one was just a head scratcher.
As far as practice goes, JG has the physical tools to be a decent to good quarterback. So with routes on air he can just sit back and throw routes and probably looked to be in better timing than the other 2 for the most part. When you get to "team" work (11 on 11), he has practiced against these guys more and is more comfortable playing against UTs D which can lead to playing without thinking too much. Then you add the speed of the game will be a little faster and the other coaches are trying to confuse the QB and not only give him what he can handle in that moment. He may be great in practice, but he has a hard time with taking that to the game field. Just my opinion on what could have possibly happened.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Then apparently practice does not replicate game conditions/situations very well.

I'm kind of surprised this doesn't get talked about a little more. I don't know what all they do in practice, but it could be possible that some drills they do and the way they scrimmage is not helping the players prepare for the game on Saturday as well as other options could provide. For that matter, maybe they did make some changes and that's why we're seeing a little different result in preparation on Saturdays.

You done fell and bumped your head! Your biased is REALLY showing now and it looks foolish
Can't counter what I said about it being a year since it was true, huh? So naturally you pivot back to a Bryan vs Jarrett argument.

To your infatuation with stats I'll say this, yes if we were playing college fantasy football both quarterbacks would still be free agents. No one would own either one. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Numbers don't lie JG has passed the ball better. JG also won us the one SEC game we did win this year. Of course we haven't beat a better team than them this year. Duh.

But I thought you were implying BM had passed the ball better this year. That is a lie factually. They have things that measure qb performance. JG in better by every metric.

BM has been quicker to get the ball out. That isn't always a good thing though.

Numbers don't lie JG has passed the ball better. JG also won us the one SEC game we did win this year. Of course we haven't beat a better team than them this year. Duh.

But I thought you were implying BM had passed the ball better this year. That is a lie factually. They have things that measure qb performance. JG in better by every metric.

Just to be clear. JG didn’t win the game. He helped seal it. And I’m happy for him and the team.

No I haven't said anything about one being a better passer than the other. But your comment about every metric is false. Brian has the capability to run, which Jarrett either doesn't have or refuses to use.

I really can't understand how you can claim that Jarrett won us the SEC game this year. When he came in the game on Saturday, we were already winning. At no time was the game tied or were we trailing with him in the game. If us outscoring Mississippi State while Jarrett was in the game counts as a win for him, then you also have to count the win for Brian since we outscored Mississippi State when he was in the game as well. So I guess they both get a win in your book?

There should certainly be an argument for the QB position.

JG has regressed, he makes bad decisions, holds the ball too long, he isn’t very mobile, and for much of the year the offense hasn’t responded well to him as QB.

BM certainly gets the offense motivated......they respond very well when he is QB. However other than that......he hasn’t shown much at all.

His first playing time = 0-2
2nd = 4-11, 44 yards, 1 int
3rd = 14-28, 259 yards, 2 td, 1 int
4th = 4-7, 61 yards, 2 int

Total = 22-48, 364 yards, 2 td, 4 int

I say go with BM as the offense simply looks better and responds better.....and he will grow.

No I haven't said anything about one being a better passer than the other. But your comment about every metric is false. Brian has the capability to run, which Jarrett either doesn't have or refuses to use.

I really can't understand how you can claim that Jarrett won us the SEC game this year. When he came in the game on Saturday, we were already winning. At no time was the game tied or were we trailing with him in the game. If us outscoring Mississippi State while Jarrett was in the game counts as a win for him, then you also have to count the win for Brian since we outscored Mississippi State when he was in the game as well. So I guess they both get a win in your book?
I don't recall Maurer throwing a td. We haven't been judging the qb on drives lead just tds thrown. Don't change it now.

Run he is better. He is a better running back. Pass? What I was discussing, no comparison. So passing is the qbs job. JG has been much better.

I don't recall Maurer throwing a td. We haven't been judging the qb on drives lead just tds thrown. Don't change it now.

Run he is better. He is a better running back. Pass? What I was discussing, no comparison. So passing is the qbs job. JG has been much better.

Oh I think I see where the disconnect is now. If you really think a quarterbacks job is to do nothing but pass the ball, then yes of course I'm sure you would start Jarrett all day long. You'd also lose every game having your quarterback do nothing but pass the ball.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Oh I think I see where the disconnect is now. If you really think a quarterbacks job is to do nothing but pass the ball, then yes of course I'm sure you would start Jarrett all day long. You'd also lose every game having your quarterback do nothing but pass the ball.
What about redzone trip percentage and points scored? JG has been much better there too. So . . .

VN Store

Back