Question about the QBs

To me JG looks like the better QB (as far as the position alone) by a good margin.....even with some of the terrible throws. However he has been growing backward, and the offense doesn’t look good when he is the QB.

BM hasn’t done anything special yet. He hasn’t looked very good....to me. However the offense looks much better with BM at QB. He has the opportunity to grow and grow forward.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
For any of you who followed the off season closely, especially those of you who may have had access to practices:

What made JG look so much better than BM and JTS?

On the hindsite side of it BM just looks so much better. I know he was young but I have a hard time accepting the fact that he somehow just started clicking the week before they decided to make the change. How could his ability not have been noticed prior to the train wreck that we witnessed? I hope that the light bulb clicked for the coaches that said “we need better situational drills to identify who’s a gamer versus someone who is just good at drills”. I for one am generally pleased with the coaches. But this one was just a head scratcher.
Why do you say he looks so much better? Coaches hate turnovers and BM was throwing it to the wrong team this spring and is still throwing it to the wrong team. Some of you act like his 4 or 5 turnovers in 2 ballgames is no big deal. If he keeps turning it over he'll be right back on the bench.

Reactions: k-town_king
JG was 4 for 4 with 68 yards on 3rd down vs Miss St but I'm sure you can find a way to make that look bad too.

You'd like that but nope. He did good. Like I said, happy for him. Not sure why you think I hate him. He's a good kid. Just not the best chance overall.

Reactions: cgrish
You'd like that but nope. He did good. Like I said, happy for him. Not sure why you think I hate him. He's a good kid. Just not the best chance overall.
Do you think that we have another QB on our roster that could currently go 4-4 on 3rd down against an SEC opponent?

Not sure what you're asking. Do you think I think we shouldn't play JG if needed?
I think he is asking, like the rational posters all are, how does playing the better player who has been better by every metric give you a worse chance of winning? Do you think BM can go 4-4 on third? He hasn't shown that ability so far.

I think he is asking, like the rational posters all are, how does playing the better player who has been better by every metric give you a worse chance of winning? Do you think BM can go 4-4 on third? He hasn't shown that ability so far.

You crack me up Spock. Having said that, and I will repeat it again for those rational folks, I'm glad he went 4-4 and help put the game away. I have little to no confidence had he started the game that he would be in the same position and would have put us ahead on points om the first half. I have little to no confidence he would have a scored a TD vs UGA. I don't trust the guy as the starting QB. It's that simple.

You crack me up Spock. Having said that, and I will repeat it again for those rational folks, I'm glad he went 4-4 and help put the game away. I have little to no confidence had he started the game that he would be in the same position and would have put us ahead on points om the first half. I have little to no confidence he would have a scored a TD vs UGA. I don't trust the guy as the starting QB. It's that simple.
Yet you trust a true Fr who looks like he can maybe bench 180 lbs and is basically a turnover every half of football he plays?

JG was 4 for 4 with 68 yards on 3rd down vs Miss St but I'm sure you can find a way to make that look bad too.

What a ridiculous red herring. Who cares if he threw a 4yd completion on 3rd & 13? Yes, technically he completed all four passes that he attempted on 3rd down, but he didn't CONVERT on all 4. I mean, Brian completed a one yard pass on 3rd down that didn't convert, so are you going to claim that was a good thing too?

You want to look at third downs (since that random branch off the game tree seems to make Jarrett look superior to you) then look at them all. Here's every third down in the game. Looks like UT threw successfully on 5 third downs, Brian 2 and Jarrett 3. But of course Brian had that terrific run for a conversion on third down too, so that's 3 each for the QBs. Jarrett's terrific throw to Keyton came on 3rd down as well. Pretty good work on both parts.

3rd & 4 at MSST 12
(12:54 - 1st) Brian Maurer pass intercepted, touchback. Cameron Dantzler return for no gain

3rd & 6 at TENN 44
(9:27 - 1st) Brian Maurer pass complete to Tyler Byrd for 16 yds to the MisSt 40 for a 1ST down

3rd & 8 at MSST 38
(9:27 - 1st) Brian Maurer pass complete to Josh Palmer for 16 yds to the MisSt 22 for a 1ST down

3rd & 5 at TENN 39
(1:14 - 1st) Brian Maurer pass complete to Tyler Byrd for 1 yd to the Tenn 40

3rd & 4 at TENN 21
(7:38 - 2nd) Brian Maurer run for 23 yds to the Tenn 44 for a 1ST down

3rd & 9 at MSST 17
(7:38 - 2nd) Brian Maurer pass intercepted, touchback. Brian Cole II return for no gain

3rd & 5 at MSST 32
(0:47 - 2nd) Ty Chandler run for no gain to the MisSt 32

3rd & 6 at TENN 0
(15:00 - 3rd) Ty Chandler run for 6 yds to the Tenn 35 for a 1ST down MISSISSIPPI ST Penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct off-setting ( Yards) to the Tenn 35 for a 1ST down

3rd & 3 at TENN 42
(15:00 - 3rd) Tim Jordan run for 1 yd to the Tenn 43

3rd & 3 at TENN 46
(9:58 - 3rd) Jarrett Guarantano pass complete to Ramel Keyton for 41 yds to the MisSt 13 for a 1ST down

3rd & 9 at MSST 12
(9:58 - 3rd) Tim Jordan run for 7 yds to the MisSt 5

3rd & 15 at TENN 30
(4:57 - 3rd) Ty Chandler run for 5 yds to the Tenn 35

3rd & 5 at TENN 35
(15:00 - 4th) Jarrett Guarantano pass complete to Jauan Jennings for 15 yds to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down

3rd & 13 at TENN 47
(5:00 - 4th) Jarrett Guarantano pass complete to Jauan Jennings for 4 yds to the MisSt 49

3rd & 6 at MSST 47
(4:13 - 4th) Jarrett Guarantano pass complete to Tim Jordan for 9 yds to the MisSt 38 for a 1ST down

Reactions: PhilFulmersGut
BTW there is actually a real story in that 3rd down list. Can't help but notice that our running game, which had a really good day Saturday, only converted once on 3rd down. That surprises me.

I guess that means BM has been garbage then. Even with all this he has been much worse.

Which stats do you want to compare? BM is throwing shorter passes, less accurately and throws a pick every 12 passes.
Dude! What in the hell are you watching? Maurer is throwing down field nearly every play! Do you know what YPA is? That stat that you love so much includes every incomplete pass as well. So if said qb throws 10 complete passes and 10 incomplete passes the incomplete ones effect his YPA like a 0 on a test in grade school. The 10 completed passes could have totaled 100 yards but the incomplete ones knock his YPA down to 50 giving him a 5 yard average when the YPC would show you a completely different story. You need to start watching the games instead of the box scores.

JG also had 2 great games last year vs Auburn and Kentucky. He also just generally played well all things considered with the terrible oline and such. It was natural to think he's continue to improve, but just didn't happen at all.

Which makes it so confounding how some freshmen QBs can come in and look all Heissman from day one (alabama).

Its not confounding at all really. Look at Tua and Trevor Lawrence. Notice anything similar? Insane talent at virtually every skill position on both sides of the ball. I have watched games where Tua can just sit back there and wait for his WRs to get open.

Dude! What in the hell are you watching? Maurer is throwing down field nearly every play! Do you know what YPA is? That stat that you love so much includes every incomplete pass as well. So if said qb throws 10 complete passes and 10 incomplete passes the incomplete ones effect his YPA like a 0 on a test in grade school. The 10 completed passes could have totaled 100 yards but the incomplete ones knock his YPA down to 50 giving him a 5 yard average when the YPC would show you a completely different story. You need to start watching the games instead of the box scores.

Hmmm, I wonder who has the higher YPA, JG or BM?

Hmmm, I wonder who has the higher YPA, JG or BM?
JG has the higher YPA because he checks down rather than throw it away like BM. But BM has to have the higher YPC because when he has thrown it to a receiver it’s been downfield.

And he was 1 for 5 versus Ga. 4 straight inc. at 1st and goal from the 5. I just want who the coaches tell us the best option at qb is and play them. Of course a large majority on here and the coaches think Maurer gives us the best chance to win at this juncture. imo I see Maurer making a lot of freshman mistakes, who makes some big plays and too many int. but shows a lot of potential. With Jg you have a very cautious qb, who is not willng to take many chances and has better comp. % and less int. but by doing this we don't score very many points. If a team wants to play ball control as in run mostly and let your defense try and win jg is the man, very few turnovers but has not shown we can score very much with him.

JG has the higher YPA because he checks down rather than throw it away like BM. But BM has to have the higher YPC because when he has thrown it to a receiver it’s been downfield.

Well that stat should be easy to find then.

Well that stat should be easy to find then.
I’m sure it’s just as easy to find that one as it is to find YPA. In fact I would be willing to bet they are right next to each other and there’s a reason K- town chose the one he did.

Its not confounding at all really. Look at Tua and Trevor Lawrence. Notice anything similar? Insane talent at virtually every skill position on both sides of the ball. I have watched games where Tua can just sit back there and wait for his WRs to get open.
Best take I've heard on Fr being successful at QB at a power5 school!!

VN Store

Back