Question about the QBs

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
For any of you who followed the off season closely, especially those of you who may have had access to practices:

What made JG look so much better than BM and JTS?

On the hindsite side of it BM just looks so much better. I know he was young but I have a hard time accepting the fact that he somehow just started clicking the week before they decided to make the change. How could his ability not have been noticed prior to the train wreck that we witnessed? I hope that the light bulb clicked for the coaches that said “we need better situational drills to identify who’s a gamer versus someone who is just good at drills”. I for one am generally pleased with the coaches. But this one was just a head scratcher.

Two red zone picks later and you have your answer. Maurer has upside for sure, but freshmen do freshmen things and they have to learn the coverages, pressures and speed. Most of them just aren't ready to play early on
Which makes it so confounding how some freshmen QBs can come in and look all Heissman from day one (alabama).

For any of you who followed the off season closely, especially those of you who may have had access to practices:

On the hindsite side of it BM just looks so much better. I know he was young but I have a hard time accepting the fact that he somehow just started clicking the week before they decided to make the change. How could his ability not have been noticed prior to the train wreck that we witnessed? I hope that the light bulb clicked for the coaches that said “we need better situational drills to identify who’s a gamer versus someone who is just good at drills”. I for one am generally pleased with the coaches. But this one was just a head scratcher.
I only attended a couple of practices over the spring. I left each practice wondering where the narrative of “erratic” and “inaccurate” came from because that’s not what I seen. They all missed a few. But again.... I wasn’t there every day. I was asked what I thought of the qbs afterwards and my response was “JG should be the starter. His experience shows. But BM looked the most accurate followed closely by JG then JTS” “BM is by far the most athletic also. You could take their numbers off and know which one was him based on playing style, speed and quickness, especially on plays that break down during 11 on 11 drills.” “In my opinion JG should start, BM as #2 and then JTS based on what I’ve seen”.

What struck me as odd was the practice report that came out the same afternoons claiming JG was crisp, BM and JTS were erratic. When the truth was none missed more than you’d expect from any qb at any school.

Take it for what it’s worth. I’ve been told I don’t know what I’m talking about.

JG is a really good practice QB.

This would be my best guess as well. I get flamed every time I point out that coaches ( at all levels) get tunnel vision on some kids that just do not practice well but become victors and berserkers once the lights come on and their golden children that are practice warriors wilt under those same lights. It's not every kid or even most kids, but they are out there. I've watched especially in high school better kids playing JV or sitting the bench than what the coach was putting on the field. In one case saw a JV kid the opposing JV coach would not let his JV team play against as "he was too good" and his own varsity coach wouldn't let the kid play except on kickoff team his senior year. This youngster was not a discipline problem, his coach had other fair haired children for reasons of his own he had to play. He'd rather lose with his fair haired kids, than win with kids who had more talent and not personally connected with, and he accomplished that.

There a big difference in practice, throwing against air and a real game against real opponents who change defenses at the line...Kust saying

I would say about 5 more weeks of practice and understanding of the playbook. as well as the point JohnD13 made about real opponents

A lot of good suggested answers on here. For me, I don't really buy into this notion that there was a true competition in the offseason. I realize the coaching staff has said that there was, but I just don't see it.

I think the decision was made from the time Jim Chaney stepped on campus that he was rolling with the older experienced quarterback and wanted time to develop the younger ones behind the scenes.

Complete opposite of Dobbs it appears. Remember Butch saying Dobbs didn’t practice well?

Probably because they were not working on the total collapse of broken plays continuously. Dobb's made his mark at UT running the scramble play and making defenders miss. Not with his arm.
With out Dobb's heroics BJ's offense was garbage.
Dobbs was/is a great ambassador for UT but he's not a pure passer, the NFL understands that.

Reactions: GlennTenn
Two red zone picks later and you have your answer. Maurer has upside for sure, but freshmen do freshmen things and they have to learn the coverages, pressures and speed. Most of them just aren't ready to play early on
Yeah, as much as I like Maurer, even outside his injury, two interceptions in the end zone is enough to have JG come back in. I’d think Chaney handles them with “hot hand” approach balance of season, with BM being 1A and JG being 1B. My probably not so good analogy on this is where a couple years ago Lamonte Turner was struggling when he started, but really thrived coming off the bench. Maybe that’s the angle Chaney will use JG, when Maurer has tough stretches???

Reactions: savannahfan

This is a very true statement but on the flip side JG would not have thrown those picks because he would have been three and out before crossing the 50 yard line. Still gives a better chance to win with him in the game.

A lot of good suggested answers on here. For me, I don't really buy into this notion that there was a true competition in the offseason. I realize the coaching staff has said that there was, but I just don't see it.

I think the decision was made from the time Jim Chaney stepped on campus that he was rolling with the older experienced quarterback and wanted time to develop the younger ones behind the scenes.
Ive gone with the theory that CJP couldnt risk JG transferring if he was supplanted before the season started, which would have happened. JG has shown zero development/improvement. Thats the only logical reason as to why he kept him around as the starter. Then Pruitt realized his job is at risk after being on the coaches hot seat #1 position for a month and had to make a change. JG will only get starts due to injury from now on and will transfer at the end of the season.

I think it was noticed. I feel the Ga. game was to let him come in after it was put away. (we know how that went) TheBYU thought was he may need playing time before we throw him with the bigger boys (better teams) JG can handle this. Chat was to see if JG was "out in left field" and to play BM. After that every thing was do we or don't we. Finally it was "do we"; We gotta do something because JG is lost....

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Ive gone with the theory that CJP couldnt risk JG transferring if he was supplanted before the season started, which would have happened. JG has shown zero development/improvement. Thats the only logical reason as to why he kept him around as the starter. Then Pruitt realized his job is at risk after being on the coaches hot seat #1 position for a month and had to make a change. JG will only get starts due to injury from now on and will transfer at the end of the season.

I thought he was/is a senior. You think he stays in college just to play football another year. If this is the case, hope he finds a place where he can play, just wonder where it could be. Don't think it is any "big school".

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Hard to say definitively without reading into and out of some coaches comments. But here's my take.

JG has ALWAYS had the arm strength and accuracy coaches drool over. He's a smart, tough kid. He works hard. He's "liked" by his teammates as best I can tell. If you were going to complain about his physical talent then it would be pocket movement, running ability, and delivering a tad on the slow side. NOTHING there fatal.

The disconnect was decision making and confidence. He thinks too slow. He is so risk averse that he doesn't lead guys open or hit plays downfield unless they're wide open. Even when they are pretty much wide open he seems to be a half count late and leaves passes short. He doesn't give guys an opportunity to run after the catch.

Three Maurer throws help illustrate.

The TD pass to Jennings should have been the definition of JG's career at UT. He has the physical ability to put balls in tight windows like that. But he won't take the chance. His doubt causes him to hesitate on what has to be an instinctive, split second decision.

The TD pass to Callaway is an easy one. JG has consistently left throws like that short with the exception of the one overthrow of DWA a few weeks back. He allows defenders to either make a play on the ball or else make the tackle before the receiver can gain YAC's.

The first completion by Maurer to DWA though probably rolls it all up. MSU showed pressure. Maurer anticipated pre-snap that DWA on that little seam would be open right after clearing the first defender but in front of the safety. At the snap, he didn't hesitate. If you go back and watch that play DWA was just breaking contact with a defender when Maurer threw to a spot just in front of him but where it could not be defended. BM read the D pre-snap then confirmed quickly post snap and threw with confidence to a spot.

Now why did JG look better? He apparently performs well in practice consistently. The vast majority of the time the guy who is better in practice is better in games.... then there's that small % that aren't. They spent the last 9 months trying to resolve the issues I noted above IMO. Pruitt said he had a great spring and summer which suggests they thought he was "fixed". But then when the games started... he reverted.

Trey Smith was his roommate. He has said multiple times in the media that he repeatedly told JG not to overthink... to let go and just play. As sad as it is, that just doesn't seem to work with JG's emotional and mental make up.

The jury is still out on Maurer. There have been some sparks but to say he looks "much better" is premature. He's done some things that give us legitimate reason to hope... but he has to protect himself and has to stop throwing to the bad guys.

As for the timing, they reasonably wanted to give JG a shot and hoped the offseason work would click. You also have to realize that Maurer came in and had to learn the playbook, how to study film, how to read D's on an entirely different level, etc. He's probably NOT ready now.... but because JG was ineffective they've made the call to let him to develop OJT.

I thought he was/is a senior. You think he stays in college just to play football another year. If this is the case, hope he finds a place where he can play, just wonder where it could be. Don't think it is any "big school".

Jarrett graduated earlier this year. He chose not to enroll in UT grad school, which would have eliminated his ability to be a grad transfer next year. In retrospect, that's a very good move. Someone was looking out for his interests and realized this was a possibility.

If he does pursue another year of college football by transferring elsewhere, I would wish him the best. I assume it would have to be a smaller D1 school or maybe FCS.

Reactions: savannahfan

JG still looks better passing. The numbers don't lie.

The season is a loss though. We are playing BM to see if can be good down the road. He isn't an SEC caliber qb right now.

This is a very true statement but on the flip side JG would not have thrown those picks because he would have been three and out before crossing the 50 yard line. Still gives a better chance to win with him in the game.
You do realize that we beat better teams than MSU with JG right? Also with way better individual performances by him than BM has put up.

How does that math work?

JG still looks better passing. The numbers don't lie.

The season is a loss though. We are playing BM to see if can be good down the road. He isn't an SEC caliber qb right now.

Interesting thought. So we're only playing Brian because the season is a loss, but then we end up getting a win over an SEC opponent. So do we now consider the season no longer completely lost, and go back to starting Jarrett?

it would be ironic. The season was a loss primarily because of Jarrett's performance, so we play Brian instead. Then, as soon as the season's no longer a loss, we go back to starting the guy who caused the season to be a loss in the first place. Makes total sense.

VN Store

Back