Qb over reaction?

I really don't think it's fair to stick a true freshman who has had almost no practice time into the games just to satisfy our hunger to see him. I'm as anxious for him to take over as anyone, but it needs to be done the right way. If they're going to play him they need to start him and spend an entire week narrowing the playbook for him. Sticking him in like Saturday is just not fair to the kid.
Its not because of "a hunger to see him". It's about getting him snaps so he can get better. The situation that happened Saturday night when Guarantano got hurt and the choice was between two backups who each had a total of one series half way through the season was avoidable. Pruitt put himself and the team in that situation by giving JG 99% if the snaps so far this season.

I would imagine the "game plan" was reduced once Bailey took the field Saturday night.

As I remember, Manning went in for an injured QB in his first college game ever. Not fair to him, huh?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I don't agree with you only because I don't think BM is really that good to begin with.
BM has skills that are not being shown. All you can do is take my word. He’s not an RPO “only” qb. In fact if you watch his Hs highlights he was used as a pocket passer on standard pass plays for the most part with an occasional read opinion or RPO. If you think about what I just said and put yourself in a defensive coordinators shoes, you HAVE to prepare your defense to defend not only a pocket passer that’s fast enough to out run your defense but also the RPO and read option. There’s not enough time in a week to thoroughly prepare for all three styles. You almost have to pick one and HOPE you’re right. Cheney was using him beautifully last year that way. Vs UGA he was a pocket passer. Next week vs Miss St he was a mix between pocket passer, RPO and read option like I said above. The following week vs Alabama he was back to pocket passing.

That’s the point. Both Maurer and Bailey are both more talented than JG. But if they don’t receive the coaching to get better then they never will.
I agree. Not sure if it's the players, feel upper management is letting them down. Hard to see what Weinke is doing to help them.

That may be the case but at this point what's the use in doing so. We are headed for a 3-7 season might as well just start the youth movement.
Whats the point in a "youth movement"?
You could have Bama or Clemson roster with this coaching and still look like a sh*tshow

Reactions: N.ohio vol
That may be the case but at this point what's the use in doing so. We are headed for a 3-7 season might as well just start the youth movement.
I don’t think Vandy is a win. The young Vandy freshman QB is playing better and if they stay in the game, UT is quitting in the second half.

Not even similar, much less equal, situations. Manning had a full fall and had earned the backup job.
Helton was #2 in the 1994 UCLA game. Manning and Brandon Stewart were # 3A / 3B so he hadn't earned the spot behind Jerry Colquitt.

At the point of the UCLA game, Manning had been a part of the team less than a month with players reporting first week on August and that game occurring on September 3rd.

Harrison Bailey has been out of quarantine since September and available for every game and practice since, roughly 2 months worth.

Yes, not similar and much less than equal

Get HB all the practice reps and starts he can get for the rest of this season. Develop him as next year's starter. The hotshot recruited this year that HB was last year may come in and beat him out if he's all that. There's nothing JG, Maurer, or Shrout can bring further to this program and all three should be invited to exit on their own and bring a juco QB for good measure next season as well. Stop the QB nonsense we've had going on for years.

That’s the point. Both Maurer and Bailey are both more talented than JG. But if they don’t receive the coaching to get better then they never will.
Mauer, and he showed it, is the least talented by far of the three.

Obvious to anyone who saw Saturday

Bailey made 5 easy straight ahead throws to a wide open RB with a defense in prevent coverage. He didn’t have to make any reads, he knew where he was throwing it with every throw. When he had to make reads, he struggles. That will get better, but he needs time. He has arm talent, but so does JG. Arm talent has never been JG’s issue.

This year has been a cluster, lack of practice time, covid quarantines, and 0 cupcakes to get game time experience against.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Let's look at the last 5 years of the CFB playoffs.
2015:
Oregon vs FSU. Mariota vs. Jameis Winston. Oregon wins
Ohio St vs bama. Blake Sims vs Cardale Jones. osu wins
osu beats Oregon.

2016:
OU vs Clemson. Baker Mayfield vs Deshaun Watson. Clemson wins
bama vs Mich St. Conner Cook vs Jake Coker. bama wins
bama beats Clemson

2017:
bama vs. Washington. jake Browning vs jalen Hurts. bama wins
osu vs Clemson. JT Barrett vs Deshaun Watson. Clemson wins
clemson beats bama

2018:
UGA vs OU. Jake Fromm vs Baker Mayfield. UGA wins
bama vs Clemson. Jalen Hurts vs Kelly Bryant. bama wins
bama beats UGA

2019: Clemson vs Notre Dame. Ian Book vs Trevor Lawrence. Clemson wins
OU vs bama. Kyler Murray vs Tua Tagovailoa. bama wins
Clemson beats bama

2020:
LSU vs OU. Joe Burrow vs Jalen Hurts. LSU wins
Clemson vs OSU. Trevor Lawrence vs Justin Fields. CLemson wins
LSU beats Clemson

My point is just this: Every team in the playoff the last 5 years has had very good play from the QB position. Maybe not NFL caliber play, but very good QB play. Tennessee simply has not recruited and developed that level of QB in a really long time. And our record parallels that trend. This coaching staff had better get out there and bring in a really good QB and develop the guy into a star. Or we will be looking for a new coach again after 2021, 2025, 2029....

Coaches get paid to get the most out of the players. This staff currently is NOT doing that.

I really don't think it's fair to stick a true freshman who has had almost no practice time into the games just to satisfy our hunger to see him. I'm as anxious for him to take over as anyone, but it needs to be done the right way. If they're going to play him they need to start him and spend an entire week narrowing the playbook for him. Sticking him in like Saturday is just not fair to the kid.
This is such bull
Why is it "fair" for other freshmen qbs to come in in sec play and excel?
Against top Ds
In big games
W Defense minded coaches

But TN need bubblewrap and training wheels against crappy teams??

Cmon Jeremy, how long we gonna milk the young excuse?

No QBs are going to look good with this offensive coaching staff under Pruitt.

You can't toss out unprepared QBs with near zero first-team practice reps or in-game snaps, and expect them to salvage a game that you as HC have driven into the ground.

Bailey’s mistakes are understandable. He’s a freshman who hasn’t been given enough snaps being thrown into the fire. Just a young gunslinger trying to put the team on his back. He threw for more yards in his 2-3 drives than JG did the whole first half. Anyway that’s not the biggest problem at this point... None of the QBs are given any vote of confidence by Pruitt especially in the media which is inexcusable. In the SEC there has to be a next man up mentality and the QB room doesn’t get that memo from the ball coach... and it shows. JG gives us the best chance to win? Gimme a break! That’s a lie. It’s been proven that JP told us he barely even worked out the other guys. So even he doesn’t know who the best QB is.
And that's the reason the whole team has quit on CJP.

Reactions: davethevol
Bailey made 5 easy straight ahead throws to a wide open RB with a defense in prevent coverage. He didn’t have to make any reads, he knew where he was throwing it with every throw. When he had to make reads, he struggles. That will get better, but he needs time. He has arm talent, but so does JG. Arm talent has never been JG’s issue.

This year has been a cluster, lack of practice time, covid quarantines, and 0 cupcakes to get game time experience against.
Do you think JG would have made all 5 of those passes . He would have over thrown 1 or 2 of them. He cannot hit a wide open receiver.

Do you think JG would have made all 5 of those passes . He would have over thrown 1 or 2 of them. He cannot hit a wide open receiver.
Jg is a lot of things but we’re talking about a 5 yard pitch and catch. Yes, JG would’ve hit all 5. Any of our qbs would have

Wrong. Bailey was looking downfield most of those plays and then checking down. Watch the last part of the game again and you will see it. The 4th down play that was intercepted he threw very quick.

You raise a valid point but we ARE talking about the check down king here and those were not swing passes. Lol
Bailey actually should of taking a shot downfield on some of the check downs. Coaching staff should have been yelling that from the sidelines.

VN Store

Back