Qb over reaction?

Before addressing any of the players, i’d ask where is the development from the coaching staff that is basically stealing money at this point. JG is literally the same QB he was 3 years ago. Poor Maurer has regressed horribly. This staff is trash.

Before addressing any of the players, i’d ask where is the development from the coaching staff that is basically stealing money at this point. JG is literally the same QB he was 3 years ago. Poor Maurer has regressed horribly. This staff is trash.
Maurer is the same as he’s always been man. I can’t stress enough that he looked the exact same in every game he was unprepared to play in last year.

Reactions: Lilcarl731
Maurer is the same as he’s always been man. I can’t stress enough that he looked the exact same in every game he was unprepared to play in last year.
Then that falls squarely upon this staff and their failure to develop the players they have. They are very well paid in spite of the results we’ve been getting.

Reactions: 1vol8
Then that falls squarely upon this staff and their failure to develop the players they have. They are very well paid in spite of the results we’ve been getting.
Now that I can get behind. But there are so many saying that Maurer regressed or should be looked over now that it’s actually disgusting. Especially when the people saying those things witnessed the same exact things we all did. Maurer is not good off the bench for a staff that doesn’t prepare him. Bottom line is nothing has changed but that doesn’t equal regression.

Now that I can get behind. But there are so many saying that Maurer regressed or should be looked over now that it’s actually disgusting. Especially when the people saying those things witnessed the same exact things we all did. Maurer is not good off the bench for a staff that doesn’t prepare him. Bottom line is nothing has changed but that doesn’t equal regression.
They have to be coached to improve. We currently have 0 evidence they’ve been coached by this staff. Chris Weinke should be unemployed along with many more on this “coaching staff.”

They have to be coached to improve. We currently have 0 evidence they’ve been coached by this staff. Chris Weinke should be unemployed along with many more on this “coaching staff.”
I hold off criticism of Weinke and Cheney only because I know they’re only doing what they’re told.

Reactions: cgrish
Bailey’s mistakes are understandable. He’s a freshman who hasn’t been given enough snaps being thrown into the fire. Just a young gunslinger trying to put the team on his back. He threw for more yards in his 2-3 drives than JG did the whole first half. Anyway that’s not the biggest problem at this point... None of the QBs are given any vote of confidence by Pruitt especially in the media which is inexcusable. In the SEC there has to be a next man up mentality and the QB room doesn’t get that memo from the ball coach... and it shows. JG gives us the best chance to win? Gimme a break! That’s a lie. It’s been proven that JP told us he barely even worked out the other guys. So even he doesn’t know who the best QB is.

I'm glad someone else noticed what Pruitt has said about not having time to work with other qb's. I have never heard of any team; where there is poor play at qb not practicing the others with the 1's to see what they can do.

I'm glad someone else noticed what Pruitt has said about not having time to work with other qb's. I have never heard of any team; where there is poor play at qb not practicing the others with the 1's to see what they can do.
And I’ve never heard of a team that doesn’t have a #2 named before the season starts and said #2 not getting first team reps.

Reactions: cgrish
I hold off criticism of Weinke and Cheney only because I know they’re only doing what they’re told.

I totally agree, if you gona work for Pruitt or probably any other hc, you do as they tell you or you get what the dl coach got. I have no doubt that Helton did not want jg as qb, and I have no doubt that Chaney and Weinke wants jg as qb. But if you want to keep your job you do as hc says. As someone has already stated Pruitt doesn't have time to spend on other qb's

I totally agree, if you gona work for Pruitt or probably any other hc, you do as they tell you or you get what the dl coach got. I have no doubt that Helton did not want jg as qb, and I have no doubt that Chaney and Weinke wants jg as qb. But if you want to keep your job you do as hc says. As someone has already stated Pruitt doesn't have time to spend on other qb's
He’s becoming a victim of his own pride and now the only question is how many good coaches, players he’s going to take down with him

Its not because of "a hunger to see him". It's about getting him snaps so he can get better. The situation that happened Saturday night when Guarantano got hurt and the choice was between two backups who each had a total of one series half way through the season was avoidable. Pruitt put himself and the team in that situation by giving JG 99% if the snaps so far this season.

I would imagine the "game plan" was reduced once Bailey took the field Saturday night.

As I remember, Manning went in for an injured QB in his first college game ever. Not fair to him, huh?

And we have had games that were blowouts by the 3rd quarter and still no game practice to speak of, I think one series each. There is no excuse at all for this. Is Pruitt wanting out?? He certainly does not have the fire in him that he had the first year. The team does not play with intensity.

And we have had games that were blowouts by the 3rd quarter and still no game practice to speak of, I think one series each. There is no excuse at all for this. Is Pruitt wanting out?? He certainly does not have the fire in him that he had the first year. The team does not play with intensity.
I think he’s getting the point tbh. For the first time he’s defended the back ups in his post game presser.

I think Pruitt has all the qb's playing scared. Maurer did not show enthuiasm like he had last year. Just going thru the motions. Does Pruitt not want his players playing with motivation, or is he one of those like ok you have a job to do lets do it. Ark. was much more fired up and motivated than we were Sat.

Jonathan Alexander🦍 (@CatchaplayJ) Tweeted:
Sheeeeesh... I know A COUPLE coaches need to see this video. https://t.co/5CG7jD6QNf

Many of you need to sit down beside Pruitt and put this on loop

I don't understand what you are getting at. Saban is talking 0% about on the field play right there.

No one is threatening to pull Maurer's scholarship for playing poorly on Saturday. Putting him on clipboard duty is hardly the type of "condemning" Saban is referring to.

I agree. I agreed with that last year. We all remember the difference it made with just two weeks of practice in Maurer (UF-UGA). What if JP had never looked back to JG and Maurer had the remaining games of experience coming into this year? Anyone would be crazy to think this team wouldn’t be in a much better position than it is now.
Lol we would have just lost more gamws last year!! He played vs uk and was terrible. Was given a last opportunity vs Indiana and JG came back in to win it.

Maurer is just not good. Sorry. Maybe it was the concussions but he hasn't been the same since the first big hit.

There’s a lot of developmental issues and coaching malpractice to go around, but I will say this. Prepared or not, HB doesn’t look frantic like BM. That’s the biggest difference to me. That’s something you can’t teach either.

I’ve said it once and I will always say it no matter the sport. Big time games need big time players, and HB has that make-up at first glance. We’ll just have to see if it matures to anything during his time on the hill.

Reactions: SaintLouisVol
I don't understand what you are getting at. Saban is talking 0% about on the field play right there.

No one is threatening to pull Maurer's scholarship for playing poorly on Saturday. Putting him on clipboard duty is hardly the type of "condemning" Saban is referring to.
It’s the overall message. ONE bad pass got Shrout demoted from #2-3 to not traveling with the team. ONE bad outing of a few series has the fan base overlooking Maurer despite what he did last year in the same circumstances. ONE good game by JG is all most need to start believing he’s the best we got again. All Pruitt had needed is ONE mistake to hold anyone not named JG accountable and what Saban is saying is everyone deserves a legitimate opportunity to prove themselves.

Lol we would have just lost more gamws last year!! He played vs uk and was terrible. Was given a last opportunity vs Indiana and JG came back in to win it.

Maurer is just not good. Sorry. Maybe it was the concussions but he hasn't been the same since the first big hit.
You’re reading too deep into a qb not being prepared to play. But believe what you wish.

Maurer is just not good.
This statement is the typical sheep, mornic thought that annoys the heck outta me.....UK BM coming of injury and not playing for 2 weeks...but that doesn't matter right??? A series vs IU an he did not play like an all american??? By that logic HB is not good either because he has 2 chances and his stats say he is not good either because JG will start next week and we didn't win....but you will bend over backwards to make excuses for HB...just man up and say you have a personal bias against BM don't try to justify your BS by giving different standards for different players..

This is such bull
Why is it "fair" for other freshmen qbs to come in in sec play and excel?
Against top Ds
In big games
W Defense minded coaches

But TN need bubblewrap and training wheels against crappy teams??

Cmon Jeremy, how long we gonna milk the young excuse?

Obviously you weren't aware that Bailey was quarantined not once, but twice during fall camp which meant he had no opportunity to go with the 1s. He had no opportunity for scrimmage time untill the first Sunday night scrimmage during the season. I'm sure you weren't aware of that or you wouldn't have had such an ill informed postition.

There is no argument about quarterbacks at Tennessee. JG is a losing one. JTS and BM haven't had good or enough coaching to improve. And Bailey is just starting what they've gone thru. JG out performs them in practice, so he gets more snaps. He can't play live and they can't improve as long as he's here. They, all 4 of them, are not the problem. Hell, I don't even really know if Chaney and Weinke are. They are dictated as to what they will do and when. Who starts. What philosophy they must mold into. Etc etc. The problem is Pruitt. A guy who coaches like it's 1996 and 3 yards and a cloud of dust is the answer. That and his "explosive" plays. All that is to him and a big bomb strike downfield. That's 20 year old football. Today's game requires a dynamic offense. We are not that at all. Until his philosophy changes, Tennessee will not improve to the level needed. His hot seat is his own doing. And his to fix. Be your own man Jeremy, quit trying to clone yourself into Nick Saban from 2008.

Fine, because of Covid Bailey's development has been hampered. But there were multiple series in the Mizzou, UGA and Bama games that he could have gotten something better than scrimmage time, real game experience. But even after the outcome of games are decided, Pruitt continues to play JG instead of allowing any of the 3 backups to get playing time.

Playing JG so deep into the Georgia game was borderline incompetence.

VN Store

Back