Qb over reaction?

1vol8

I just thought I would post a few thoughts about the qb situation that most seem to be over reacting to due to last night’s Outcome.

JG- at this point we know what he is. The coaches know what he is. He’s a qb that needs to be coached around instead of coaching through him. When the play calling shows 35 runs to only 5 passes? It tells you they didn’t practice a passing attack nearly AT ALL. No need to say more.

Maurer- He didn’t look good. At all. But is that indicative of him or the coaching? I think it’s grown abundantly clear that JP has no interest in preparing a #2. Never has. And he threw Maurer out there when Arkansas was 0 blitzing the run. Again.... when the play calling is 35 runs to 5 passes WITH Guarantano AND we know the back ups don’t get much if any practice with the 1s, is it not fair to assume they were asking Maurer to do something that wasn’t practiced? Not to mention he had two deaths in the family within 48 hours of game time that I’m sure was weighing heavy on his mind as well as being suddenly put into action cold off the bench. We’re talking about a kid that obviously hasn’t practiced a passing game going in that also hasn’t played a game since last year. Rust should be expected and Pruitt COULD'VE knocked some of that off by playing him vs Mizzou, earlier vs Alabama and you can even argue UGA.

Bailey- he didn’t look bad. Yes he had two ints and one probably should’ve been PI. But nevertheless I don’t hold that against him. He was put in the same situation as Maurer through the week of practice (or lack there of). However he wasn’t put in the game when Arkansas was in blitz mode like Maurer. With time running out they went into a prevent and gave Bailey the underneath on what appeared to be the same play 5 times straight. The only other time we’ve seen him was vs UK where he threw 4 straight times. 3 were incomplete and 1 of those really should have been intercepted. My point is maybe we should pump the brakes on declaring who is better between two talented but under coached players.

Pruitt- what can I say that hasn’t been said? I’ve been coaching this game for over a decade and never once seen a coach with such control issues. You’re kidding yourself if you think JP doesn’t dictate who Cheney WILL use as his qb. You’re kidding yourself if you think Helton picked JG over Christ. And you’re kidding yourself if with ALL the evidence out there, you still believe our backups are as bad as they look or as bad as he says they are. Of course they won’t be good right away if you don’t invest any time into them. Qb is the most complex position in all of sports and it takes practice and reps to build on their skills. Without it..... they WILL fail. Mistakes HAVE to be made to learn from so a good coach should almost welcome them. After all..... isn’t that what a coach is for? To teach?

All I’m saying is anyone complaining about how the back ups look need to look no farther than Pruitt himself. They ARE more talented than JG. They just haven’t had the benefit of the coaching they were promised.

All our QB’s look bad. Those saying Bailey looks good vs the others are simply blind. Sadly JG looks like our best option.

He infuriates me, he will make amazing throws, and then throw it like a JV QB playing his first snap against the varsity team

Reactions: 99gator
All our QB’s look bad. Those saying Bailey looks good vs the others are simply blind. Sadly JG looks like our best option.

He infuriates me, he will make amazing throws, and then throw it like a JV QB playing his first snap against the varsity team
That’s the point. Both Maurer and Bailey are both more talented than JG. But if they don’t receive the coaching to get better then they never will.

Bailey’s mistakes are understandable. He’s a freshman who hasn’t been given enough snaps being thrown into the fire. Just a young gunslinger trying to put the team on his back. He threw for more yards in his 2-3 drives than JG did the whole first half. Anyway that’s not the biggest problem at this point... None of the QBs are given any vote of confidence by Pruitt especially in the media which is inexcusable. In the SEC there has to be a next man up mentality and the QB room doesn’t get that memo from the ball coach... and it shows. JG gives us the best chance to win? Gimme a break! That’s a lie. It’s been proven that JP told us he barely even worked out the other guys. So even he doesn’t know who the best QB is.

I just thought I would post a few thoughts about the qb situation that most seem to be over reacting to due to last night’s Outcome.

JG- at this point we know what he is. The coaches know what he is. He’s a qb that needs to be coached around instead of coaching through him. When the play calling shows 35 runs to only 5 passes? It tells you they didn’t practice a passing attack nearly AT ALL. No need to say more.

Maurer- He didn’t look good. At all. But is that indicative of him or the coaching? I think it’s grown abundantly clear that JP has no interest in preparing a #2. Never has. And he threw Maurer out there when Arkansas was 0 blitzing the run. Again.... when the play calling is 35 runs to 5 passes WITH Guarantano AND we know the back ups don’t get much if any practice with the 1s, is it not fair to assume they were asking Maurer to do something that wasn’t practiced? Not to mention he had two deaths in the family within 48 hours of game time that I’m sure was weighing heavy on his mind as well as being suddenly put into action cold off the bench. We’re talking about a kid that obviously hasn’t practiced a passing game going in that also hasn’t played a game since last year. Rust should be expected and Pruitt COULD'VE knocked some of that off by playing him vs Mizzou, earlier vs Alabama and you can even argue UGA.

Bailey- he didn’t look bad. Yes he had two ints and one probably should’ve been PI. But nevertheless I don’t hold that against him. He was put in the same situation as Maurer through the week of practice (or lack there of). However he wasn’t put in the game when Arkansas was in blitz mode like Maurer. With time running out they went into a prevent and gave Bailey the underneath on what appeared to be the same play 5 times straight. The only other time we’ve seen him was vs UK where he threw 4 straight times. 3 were incomplete and 1 of those really should have been intercepted. My point is maybe we should pump the brakes on declaring who is better between two talented but under coached players.

Pruitt- what can I say that hasn’t been said? I’ve been coaching this game for over a decade and never once seen a coach with such control issues. You’re kidding yourself if you think JP doesn’t dictate who Cheney WILL use as his qb. You’re kidding yourself if you think Helton picked JG over Christ. And you’re kidding yourself if with ALL the evidence out there, you still believe our backups are as bad as they look or as bad as he says they are. Of course they won’t be good right away if you don’t invest any time into them. Qb is the most complex position in all of sports and it takes practice and reps to build on their skills. Without it..... they WILL fail. Mistakes HAVE to be made to learn from so a good coach should almost welcome them. After all..... isn’t that what a coach is for? To teach?

All I’m saying is anyone complaining about how the back ups look need to look no farther than Pruitt himself. They ARE more talented than JG. They just haven’t had the benefit of the coaching they were promised.
Who the hell is going to coaching them? Sure isn’t anyone on our staff

Reactions: Rockyjr
Not sure if y'all are aware of this but Bailey didn't receive any scrimmage time until after the Missouri game. He had no spring and was in covid protocol twice during the fall and did not get to scrimmage. He only began to get reps during the Sunday Night scrimmages and they weren't with the 1s. So, it wasn't even the staff's fault that he hasn't had practice time. If you're going to make the change to Bailey, then and only then would they invest a lot of reps with the 1s. If you're not going to go with him, then you have to give whomever you're going with the reps with the 1s. It's not a good situation but it's the situation we find ourselves in.

That may be the case but at this point what's the use in doing so. We are headed for a 3-7 season might as well just start the youth movement.
I agree. I agreed with that last year. We all remember the difference it made with just two weeks of practice in Maurer (UF-UGA). What if JP had never looked back to JG and Maurer had the remaining games of experience coming into this year? Anyone would be crazy to think this team wouldn’t be in a much better position than it is now.

How
Did Bailey look bad ?

Reactions: ValleyAlVol
Who the hell is going to coaching them? Sure isn’t anyone on our staff
I think Weinke and Cheney are being forced to go down with the ship because what we are seeing is Pruitts decisions, not theirs. I have a hard time believing that Cheney would be calling plays like he is if he had control of his offense and personnel.

If true, the AD needs to put his foot up Pruitt's ass..
I think Fulmer is catching a raw deal too if I’m being honest. Yes he hired him but we’re all guilty of making a bad hire if we are ever in the position to do so long enough.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
You mean Pruitt?
No, Winkie or Chaney... I don't know about Winkie but I'm positive Chaney can't be this bad at developing a QB, unless he's spending what developmental time he has on someone that's unteachable ...

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
No, Winkie or Chaney... I don't know about Winkie but I'm positive Chaney can't be this bad at developing a QB, unless he's spending what developmental time he has on someone that's unteachable ...
He’s spending it on JG. I’m telling you guys, no one is allowed to invest time in anyone else because JG requires so much attention if he’s going to start.

Not sure if y'all are aware of this but Bailey didn't receive any scrimmage time until after the Missouri game. He had no spring and was in covid protocol twice during the fall and did not get to scrimmage. He only began to get reps during the Sunday Night scrimmages and they weren't with the 1s. So, it wasn't even the staff's fault that he hasn't had practice time. If you're going to make the change to Bailey, then and only then would they invest a lot of reps with the 1s. If you're not going to go with him, then you have to give whomever you're going with the reps with the 1s. It's not a good situation but it's the situation we find ourselves in.
Fine, because of Covid Bailey's development has been hampered. But there were multiple series in the Mizzou, UGA and Bama games that he could have gotten something better than scrimmage time, real game experience. But even after the outcome of games are decided, Pruitt continues to play JG instead of allowing any of the 3 backups to get playing time.

Fine, because of Covid Bailey's development has been hampered. But there were multiple series in the Mizzou, UGA and Bama games that he could have gotten something better than scrimmage time, real game experience. But even after the outcome of games are decided, Pruitt continues to play JG instead of allowing any of the 3 backups to get playing time.

I really don't think it's fair to stick a true freshman who has had almost no practice time into the games just to satisfy our hunger to see him. I'm as anxious for him to take over as anyone, but it needs to be done the right way. If they're going to play him they need to start him and spend an entire week narrowing the playbook for him. Sticking him in like Saturday is just not fair to the kid.

All I know is Chaney has been successful everywhere else he has been. He’s highly regarded in coaching circles. He developed Nathan Peterman into a good QB. He and Kiffin made Crompton better. He has an extensive history of making Olines and QBs better when he arrives at a place.

I have never seen him call as conservative as he has while here under Pruitt. Now IDK if Pruitt is micromanaging or if JG is our best option and he just severely limits the offense. I just have a hard time believing Chaney or even Weinke is all the problem.

I really don't think it's fair to stick a true freshman who has had almost no practice time into the games just to satisfy our hunger to see him. I'm as anxious for him to take over as anyone, but it needs to be done the right way. If they're going to play him they need to start him and spend an entire week narrowing the playbook for him. Sticking him in like Saturday is just not fair to the kid.
Someone needs to get experience other than JG when the game is out of reach.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I agree. I agreed with that last year. We all remember the difference it made with just two weeks of practice in Maurer (UF-UGA). What if JP had never looked back to JG and Maurer had the remaining games of experience coming into this year? Anyone would be crazy to think this team wouldn’t be in a much better position than it is now.
I don't agree with you only because I don't think BM is really that good to begin with.

VN Store

Back