Punter taking position change in stride

Ian Chiles has not been practicing as the backup PG, that write up is from a very small portion of practice in which media was allowed to watch. Tyndall said himself just the other day that Richardson is currently the backup PG.

He also went on to say that when Woodson plays Willie would slide to the 4 and Armani to the 3, so that right there suggests that Woodson will definitely be playing.

As of today chiles, McGhee and Reese are your odd men out.

You know, after watching a Punter interview, I think I get what Tyndall is doing at point guard. Punter is obviously very intelligent. Richardson is top student as I recall. Tyndall wants the smartest players able to play the position at point guard.

You know, after watching a Punter interview, I think I get what Tyndall is doing at point guard. Punter is obviously very intelligent. Richardson is top student as I recall. Tyndall wants the smartest players able to play the position at point guard.

I don't think that's it, could be a part, but odds are Punter was in JUCO because of academics. Think with Punter it very simply comes down to wanting your best players out on the floor together.

I don't think that's it, could be a part, but odds are Punter was in JUCO because of academics. Think with Punter it very simply comes down to wanting your best players out on the floor together.

Probably so, but in the absence of a true point guard, Tyndall had to think about who has the head for it. He may be giving Richardson the work now, knowing he will have to play him some minutes at PG occasionally in a pinch, but perhaps really doesn't plan to use him there allot. Sure hope Punter has found his calling there and has a crisp 36 minutes in him.

Probably so, but in the absence of a true point guard, Tyndall had to think about who has the head for it. He may be giving Richardson the work now, knowing he will have to play him some minutes at PG occasionally in a pinch, but perhaps really doesn't plan to use him there allot. Sure hope Punter has found his calling there and has a crisp 36 minutes in him.

That would be ideal

That would be ideal

If you're going to spread the floor and attack the basket like DT likes to do, Punter's ability to finish strong at the rim should be beneficial. With such a new and inexperienced roster, having a guy that can get his outside the offense will be important.

If DT is going to press up and down the court, 36 minutes at the point is going to be a tough ask for Punter.

The starting PG for Tyndall both seasons at USM averaged about 32mpg fwiw

Looks like Neil Watson is in pretty good shape. Everyone else was around 27 last year, which will probably be closer to the norm. IMO. If Punter can give 36 minutes at the point game in and game out I will be impressed. It will be a pretty big transition from JuCo, where defense is usually optional, to pressing all game. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If DT is going to press up and down the court, 36 minutes at the point is going to be a tough ask for Punter.

That's right, I didn't think about that. Tyndall will have to find eight minutes at point guard from somebody. Being a running team makes up for the lack of a true PG some, but you got to have a half court game.

Richardson also ran some point guard for us last year and the year we had Trae Golden go down, at least Richardson has ran point before.

I know different systems and Zo's system the Pg mainly walked the ball up, but at least Richardson was prepped handles/conditioning wise.

Richardson also ran some point guard for us last year and the year we had Trae Golden go down, at least Richardson has ran point before.

I know different systems and Zo's system the Pg mainly walked the ball up, but at least Richardson was prepped handles/conditioning wise.

That's putting a lot on Richardson's plate. He's going to need to be the leading scorer, defensive stopper, and back up PG while playing 40 minutes a game. I guess if anyone can do it Richardson would be the guy. Dude is a beast, and should be all SEC this year.

Well, what can you do when you lose your starting point guard to an ACL injury? Teach a 2 how to run the point! Thank God BL can help coach him! And you jokers didn't want nothing to do with him starting! Give me a break! Shows how much you actually knew! Hopefully, he can take up the slack! Roll the dice, my friends!

oh youre still doing this

Looks like Neil Watson is in pretty good shape. Everyone else was around 27 last year, which will probably be closer to the norm. IMO. If Punter can give 36 minutes at the point game in and game out I will be impressed. It will be a pretty big transition from JuCo, where defense is usually optional, to pressing all game. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I don't think he'll average 36mpg, but I think it will be very close to 30mpg. Punter is a lot like McRae, he can go out there and play 35mpg, and ready to go play another full game 30 minutes later, just endless energy.

That's putting a lot on Richardson's plate. He's going to need to be the leading scorer, defensive stopper, and back up PG while playing 40 minutes a game. I guess if anyone can do it Richardson would be the guy. Dude is a beast, and should be all SEC this year.

You don't have a "defensive stopper" when you play ONLY zone, and Richardson won't be playing 40mpg, if there's somewhere we've got talented depth it's on the wings.

That's why I seriously doubt he will be the back up pg

I don't think he'll average 36mpg, but I think it will be very close to 30mpg. Punter is a lot like McRae, he can go out there and play 35mpg, and ready to go play another full game 30 minutes later, just endless energy.

I always worry about foul trouble when guys come from JuCo. You get away with a lot more grabbing and bumping at that level. That being said, who can tell what the SEC refs are going to call from one half to the next. I'll put him around 27 minutes a game, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the game. I think Chiles is going to end up getting some run once he gets healthy. You don't bring in a 5th year guy and not play him if you're interested in bringing in any other 5th year guys in the future.

I always worry about foul trouble when guys come from JuCo. You get away with a lot more grabbing and bumping at that level. That being said, who can tell what the SEC refs are going to call from one half to the next. I'll put him around 27 minutes a game, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the game. I think Chiles is going to end up getting some run once he gets healthy. You don't bring in a 5th year guy and not play him if you're interested in bringing in any other 5th year guys in the future.

You gotta play who gives you the best chance to win, winning games will help land future recruits much more than giving minutes to a guy who doesn't deserve them.

Punter, Richardson and Baulkman are alL ahead of Chiles at the point ATM.0

You don't have a "defensive stopper" when you play ONLY zone, and Richardson won't be playing 40mpg, if there's somewhere we've got talented depth it's on the wings.

I could see DT going to some junk defenses like a box and 1's against some team. It seems silly to have one of the best man to man defenders in college basketball only play zone, especially if the other team has a hot perimeter player.

I could see DT going to some junk defenses like a box and 1's against some team. It seems silly to have one of the best man to man defenders in college basketball only play zone, especially if the other team has a hot perimeter player.

Tyndall will only play zone, I'm telling you now. Who's the last high major to play a box and 1?

You gotta play who gives you the best chance to win, winning games will help land future recruits much more than giving minutes to a guy who doesn't deserve them.

Punter, Richardson and Baulkman are alL ahead of Chiles at the point ATM.0

Chiles has been injured the entire time he's been on campus. He's got a solid game when he is right. I think UT is going to need his scoring ability.

Chiles has been injured the entire time he's been on campus. He's got a solid game when he is right. I think UT is going to need his scoring ability.

He's also only played the 2 in his career, he won't get minutes at the 2 at Tennessee, his opening is at point guard. Getting minutes there is dependent on adapting to that position, and he has done a very poor job of that so far, even being healthy the last few weeks.

With first exhibition less than a month away the time to make your move is now, and as I've been saying, Tyndall is going 8-9 deep, someone's getting left out.

Tyndall will only play zone, I'm telling you now. Who's the last high major to play a box and 1?

I've seen several teams play junk defenses in the last few years. I think UT is going to need every trick in the playbook. I don't think you see it much, but I think you'll see Richardson lock up a few people this season.

I've seen several teams play junk defenses in the last few years. I think UT is going to need every trick in the playbook. I don't think you see it much, but I think you'll see Richardson lock up a few people this season.

I haven't seen a high major play box and 1 in a very long time, would love an example?!

Like I said, it's not gonna happen. This staff is having enough trouble trying to teach this zone to 12 new players, that will likely continue into the season, they won't be implementing "junk defenses".

I haven't seen a high major play box and 1 in a very long time, would love an example?!

Like I said, it's not gonna happen. This staff is having enough trouble trying to teach this zone to 12 new players, that will likely continue into the season, they won't be implementing "junk defenses".

Just a quick example. Davidson faced a box in 1 almost every game when they had Steph Curry. If the other team has one perimeter player that is going off, you see it on occasion.

Just a quick example. Davidson faced a box in 1 almost every game when they had Steph Curry. If the other team has one perimeter player that is going off, you see it on occasion.

Like I said, high major...

Tennessee didn't play box and 1 once against Marshall Henderson, never brought it out for Jodie Meeks when he set the Thompson Boiling scoring record either.

VN Store

Back