Pruitt press conference

So if Covid lead to money woes why would you let him rebuild his staff all with 3 year contracts and buyouts?
1. Youre delaying the inevitable
2. Youre adding to the debt
3. There is an actual homerun hire out there
An actual well thought out post.
Delaying the inevitable is always the worst option.
All signs indicate it’s going to happen .
When opportunity knocks, the wise money answers.

When Pruitt was hired, I was one of those who felt pretty good at first and was feeling that "at least now we have someone who knows how to actually coach football" after the Dooley and Jones years. My confidence was shaken by the two inexcusable losses (GA State and BYU) last year, but I rebounded a little due to the winning streak.

To start this year, I felt shaky after barely beating a bad South Carolina team. However, a convincing win against Mizzou had me feeling a bit better. And now . . . Well, I am just tired (just like pretty much all of us). I can't believe in this program any more until I actually see some results. There is something way wrong within our Athletic Department, and within the football program specifically.

There can be no more accusations of "fair weather fans." Those of us that are still here have suffered through too many staggeringly pathetic performances, epic collapses, and outright disgraces to be called anything but loyal. This has gone on too long. While I am immeasurably disappointed, I've become numb and pretty much apathetic to the results on Saturdays since it is always the same: We get hopeful and then - BAM! - the wheels come off. Every. Single. Time.
Outstanding post! Exactly described where I was and am now!

I just watched it. It honestly looked like every other press conference. I do think that he was being very careful when talking about his staff, but he wasn't overly emotional or anything.
Yep. You are correct. Others are trying to invent a narrative. It’s getting old.

Reactions: kcvols1
Pruitt is not going anywhere. Remember, nobody wanted this job because Pruitt was about the 5th or 6th one that was offered it. Just saying.......................

Pruitt is not going anywhere. Remember, nobody wanted this job because Pruitt was about the 5th or 6th one that was offered it. Just saying.......................

Did you hear that from the state run media buttkissers we have that follow UT like Hyams? Because that's not exactly how this all happened. You can get any coach at ANY university for the right amount of money. There's no such thing as no coach wants us. Saban would go to Middle TN State tomorrow if they offered him 20 million a year. It's just business for those guys.

And as far as Pruitt and being so far down the list there never was a real list if you remember correctly. That idiot Curry let a big portion of the fanbase twist in the wind believing we had a shot at Jon Gruden (again) all the while having Greg Schiano wrapped up and ready to go. He hadn't even vetted any other real candidates. He thought our fanbase would think Schiano was a homerun hire and drool over the prospect at getting Ohio State's DC. Then the backlash hit with literally everyone coming out of the woodwork when it was announced Schiano was heading to Knoxville. So much so that they were forced to kill that deal. Curry then panics because he hadn't done his job and tries to make some backroom deals at the 11th hour - finally going rogue - and then getting fired himself.

They bring in Phil to try to pick up the pieces knowing there wasn't much time left and Pruitt was apparently the best he could do on such short notice. If you had actual time to talk to coaches, go through the process, there's plenty of coaches that would come here and not demand a salary that would be ridiculous. We aren't getting Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops but we could definitely get coaches that have proven track records as head football coaches to come in here that I feel would give us a good shot to compete. Any of these guys have turned bad teams around as head coaches and I wouldn't be upset with any of these guys being hired. In fact, my #1 has been my #1 ever since the last search......

1. Matt Campbell - Iowa State
2. Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina
3. Billy Napier - ULL
4. Kalani Sitake - BYU
5. Doc Holliday - Marshall (as a gatekeeper coach to get things back in a positive direction for 5 or 6 years before he retires)

At least all of these guys have head coaching experience and have taken bad teams and made them good. Campbell is really impressive with what he's done at Iowa State which has always been the doormat of the Big 12. That guy can flat out coach. He's young, a great recruiter, players love him, and most importantly he can coach AND can win games he absolutely shouldn't like beating people like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, etc.

And the tip-off is when the coach harkens back to past glory...Holly invoking Pat but admitting she didn’t know what was wrong; Phil defensively reminding fans that he’d won a lot more games than he’d lost but breaking out the poster board like a bad consulting firm to chart player effort; Pruitt reminding fans that he has been a coach on a lot of successful teams ( none of which he was the head coach) and talking about instilling practice culture in year 3. At this point, it’s really likely to be a cost/benefit decision on when to fire him.

Is there any good way to act when you're in a death spiral? Once the fan tipping pt comes, then there is no Press Conference solution. Either win or get embarrassed.

The second part is correct. I'm getting less and less confident in the first part though.

Friend, Martin and Niedermeyer's contracts expire after this season while Ansley and Chaney's contracts are up at the end of the 2021 season.

DK if Neids can coach players up worth$0.10 or not. But, dang that boy is a recruiting star. Would try to keep. Not sure @ Tee either, but I'd like to see him stay long term too, just based on fan emotion and nostalgia.

An actual well thought out post.
Delaying the inevitable is always the worst option.
All signs indicate it’s going to happen .
When opportunity knocks, the wise money answers.
And we all know UT isn't the wise money. They'll wait until they have to go coordinator shopping for a head coach again and miss every great opportunity. As always.

Reactions: GVol1966
Did you hear that from the state run media buttkissers we have that follow UT like Hyams? Because that's not exactly how this all happened. You can get any coach at ANY university for the right amount of money. There's no such thing as no coach wants us. Saban would go to Middle TN State tomorrow if they offered him 20 million a year. It's just business for those guys.

And as far as Pruitt and being so far down the list there never was a real list if you remember correctly. That idiot Curry let a big portion of the fanbase twist in the wind believing we had a shot at Jon Gruden (again) all the while having Greg Schiano wrapped up and ready to go. He hadn't even vetted any other real candidates. He thought our fanbase would think Schiano was a homerun hire and drool over the prospect at getting Ohio State's DC. Then the backlash hit with literally everyone coming out of the woodwork when it was announced Schiano was heading to Knoxville. So much so that they were forced to kill that deal. Curry then panics because he hadn't done his job and tries to make some backroom deals at the 11th hour - finally going rogue - and then getting fired himself.

They bring in Phil to try to pick up the pieces knowing there wasn't much time left and Pruitt was apparently the best he could do on such short notice. If you had actual time to talk to coaches, go through the process, there's plenty of coaches that would come here and not demand a salary that would be ridiculous. We aren't getting Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops but we could definitely get coaches that have proven track records as head football coaches to come in here that I feel would give us a good shot to compete. Any of these guys have turned bad teams around as head coaches and I wouldn't be upset with any of these guys being hired. In fact, my #1 has been my #1 ever since the last search......

1. Matt Campbell - Iowa State
2. Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina
3. Billy Napier - ULL
4. Kalani Sitake - BYU
5. Doc Holliday - Marshall (as a gatekeeper coach to get things back in a positive direction for 5 or 6 years before he retires)

At least all of these guys have head coaching experience and have taken bad teams and made them good. Campbell is really impressive with what he's done at Iowa State which has always been the doormat of the Big 12. That guy can flat out coach. He's young, a great recruiter, players love him, and most importantly he can coach AND can win games he absolutely shouldn't like beating people like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, etc.
Solid list, but not ripe enough for this job and this league. We need experience both as a head coach and in the SEC. "Proven" is a must this time around.

Pruitt will be the HC next year. If there is football, that is. He has an excellent recruiting class coming in, adding to last year's. He will have his young QB ready with another stud QB coming in. He has a big buyout contract. He needs to get a DL assistant and start concentrating on head coaching. Quit dreaming. He will be back.

Pruitt will be the HC next year. If there is football, that is. He has an excellent recruiting class coming in, adding to last year's. He will have his young QB ready with another stud QB coming in. He has a big buyout contract. He needs to get a DL assistant and start concentrating on head coaching. Quit dreaming. He will be back.
It's not a dream if Pruitt returns as our coach next year. It would be a f-ing nightmare. He'd probably talk JG into coming back, too. Not sure the fan base could survive such a doomsday scenario.

Yep. You are correct. Others are trying to invent a narrative. It’s getting old.
Oh please. Give me a break. My girlfriend over heard me listening to the press conference and asked "Why does it sound like he's about to cry?". I'll he sure to tell her to stop trying to invent a narrative even though she can maybe name 2 TN football players.

Observations are just observations. If you turn that into some narrative that is your own problem.

VN Store

Back