Pruitt not benching JG. Says he’s the best QB on the roster

I’m “relying” on the 247 writers, not a message board.

And saying “There’s no doubt who the best QB is” is 100% saying you aren’t benching the QB.

Additionally, you are saying that those writers in the audience vs the people watching the presser somehow got better info......

Hill isnt eligible this year. He would be a solid option if available.
I posted this same thought in another thread but forgot Hill isn't available ... in response to someone mentioning (for good reason) that throwing in one of the youngsters in this situation had the potential to ruin them ... but still, it might also make a winner out of them, and it certainly couldn't hurt this years team ... it looks like the more pressure on JG, the worse he's going to get

Exact Pruitt Quote:
“There’s no doubt, if you’ve been around our program for the last six months, who the best quarterback on our team is.”
That is not the same thing as saying you are not going to bench him. He can be the best but not be performing at his best.

As an aside, I don't think JG's problems right now are to be addressed with coaching. What I see here is paralysis by analysis. It is common in perfectionist personality types like I suspect JG is. It is when fear of making a less than perfect decision results in no decision or a very late decision. If that is what is happening it is in the subconscious arena. It is fixable in many people but it is the proper realm of a sports psychologist instead of a coach.

McElroy said this morning that Maurer isn’t ready. He said BM can’t identify the Mike LB on D. He said Shrout isn’t ready either and mentioned Shrout not being able to move around well enough. He claims JG is for sure the best option we have. He then went on to say that he thinks we will upset a team or two this year. What he didn’t say is if he was talking about Chattanooga and UAB!
It’s sad there are other freshmen and sophomore QB’s for other teams that can do so well.

CJP grabbed JG by the collar and gave him a stiff talking to on the sidelines. He sure wasn't happy about something. It very well may be a case where JG is the best option at this time but Mauer may adapt quickly and I'm almost certain that Pruitt will test him very soon. Likely at UTC this weekend because we should smoke them if our lines are playing well and we're up a couple of scores in the last qtr.

That is not the same thing as saying you are not going to bench him. He can be the best but not be performing at his best.

As an aside, I don't think JG's problems right now are to be addressed with coaching. What I see here is paralysis by analysis. It is common in perfectionist personality types like I suspect JG is. It is when fear of making a less than perfect decision results in no decision or a very late decision. If that is what is happening it is in the subconscious arena. It is fixable in many people but it is the proper realm of a sports psychologist instead of a coach.

When you take a beating for two years behind an awful OL, being a little gun-shy isn't unusual.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Shrout and Mauer should hear this and transfer...what incentive do they have to stay here if they have to sit behind JG as bad as he is?

You're absolutely right. There is no reason for them to stay here. If HB is as good as everyone says, and they have to sit behind JG for another year, what's the point? I feel bad for them.

Last edited:
Helton was at USC and they apparently liked JT Daniels and Helton didn't have a repertoire with Martinez who had been committed to UT under CBJ. This left the door wide open for Scott Frost to sneak in and steal him away. I was happy to see Colorado kick Nebraska's tail this pas Sat. I think Martinez would have beaten JG out. Pruitt and Chaney have Bailey firmly in-waiting while our lines will only improve. We need receivers like Jarret and several top of the line DLinemen. Pruitt's not going anywhere soon. He's a better coach than many think and knows the type of players we need. Just can't get'em all in one year.

So you're telling me, he's willing to sacrifice a year to allow for a new QB to come in and then start him and hope our lines have improved? He's an idiot if that's the case, there's no sure thing that Bailey will stick with his commitment, unless he's been told he'll be the day one starter the moment he enrolls then he has no real incentive to hitch his wagon to a bad horse.

so basically he's saying our back qb's suck bad... so why did we recruit them?

Question to Pruitt:
What's holding JG back from being the QB you want to see on gameday?
Well I don't think anything is holding JG back. Let me tell you JG has practiced extremely well from from spring to fall camp and has made some really nice plays in both games and that JG will tell you that he, myself and everyone will have to raise their play

Question to Pruitt:
Did JG hurt his hand?
Yeah he got his hand hit in the 1st quarter, he'll be fine this week.

Some more stuff I don't care to type

McElroy said this morning that Maurer isn’t ready. He said BM can’t identify the Mike LB on D. He said Shrout isn’t ready either and mentioned Shrout not being able to move around well enough. He claims JG is for sure the best option we have. He then went on to say that he thinks we will upset a team or two this year. What he didn’t say is if he was talking about Chattanooga and UAB!

Hell JG can't identify him either

Helton was at USC and they apparently liked JT Daniels and Helton didn't have a repertoire with Martinez who had been committed to UT under CBJ. This left the door wide open for Scott Frost to sneak in and steal him away. I was happy to see Colorado kick Nebraska's tail this pas Sat. I think Martinez would have beaten JG out. Pruitt and Chaney have Bailey firmly in-waiting while our lines will only improve. We need receivers like Jarret and several top of the line DLinemen. Pruitt's not going anywhere soon. He's a better coach than many think and knows the type of players we need. Just can't get'em all in one year.

The problem is we are wasting two receivers now that won't be here in the future.

Well I will wait til Saturday and see what the story is then, if he’s starting then I won’t be watching. I can’t really make it to a game even if I wanted to but I do have the power to not give them a rating boost on tv.

This game was a perfect opportunity to get one of the young guys out there and get them some experience before the SEC gauntlet. I fear now he will let JG tank this week and then try to throw one of the young guys out to UF. I think it’s the same mentality as Lyle. He thinks he knows best and rather than take a chance when it should be taken he will wait til it’s an almost impossible situation and let the young QB get slaughtered just so he can try to turn to the fans and say I told you so.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Then we need to be cutting some QBs. If they aren't even worth considering, then how God-awful are they?? And why were they offered to begin with?

VN Store

Back