Pruitt Names Brian Maurer Starting QB for Saturday

I thought JG “gave us the best chance to win” ?
K-town_king will be by shortly to talk about meaningless anayltics and JG stats on games that start after 12:13 eastern time on even number days played after the first week of October with the temp being under 65 degrees with low humidity and winds under 8 mph

“Brian will be the starting quarterback Saturday,” Pruitt said on Wednesday when asked about Maurer. “I mean, I think everybody would know that, right?”

What a strange thing for a coach to say.
For some around here, at this point, I don’t think it matters what he says....

Honestly, I knew Pruitt would be dogged with the starter question beginning UGA post-game. I was hoping he'd answer cryptically, "Cornbread."

So you think opposing staffs blow off compiling a scouting report just because UT has been bad this year?

🤔 hmmmm, makes total sense.
I bet they spend less than an hour thinking about it. Pressure qb and do whatever you want on offense = win.

Reactions: tbh
After seeing him collapsing after stumbling to the sideline after the corner blitz I sure hope he has had a complete neuorlogical (or however you spell it) exam. Surely he has.

There was no impact to his head and his head didn't hit the ground. He's fine.

Last edited:
You would lose that bet. Coaches that ignore due diligence don’t remain employed very long. This is EXACTLY why we got beat by GSU.

We got beat by GSU because JG is not a very good QB when it comes to scoring points, and can't lead a team back from a deficit, and because the defense couldn't line up correctly at all; something it has struggled with to some degree all season since that first game.

It had nothing to do with coaches ignoring a scouting report on Georgia State, or looking past them to BYU. The coaching staff did a relatively poor job or conducting fall camp, couldn't determine a starting o-line, which they still haven't it would seem, and haven't managed to improve on the basics of lining up and tackling correctly on defense.

Reactions: jlawso21
At the time, he probably did.
Maybe but personally I doubt it. I think Pruitt explained it or maybe it was the announcers quoting coaches. JG had a good spring and summer. They thought he was ready to breakthrough some of his issues. Then the season started and it just didn't translate to the field. He has a history of impressing coaches so much in practice that they just can't believe their own eyes when its game time.

There was also a comment on the game broadcast that the players convinced Pruitt that Maurer was ready. That lends some credence to the notion that JG either wasn't liked or else wasn't viewed by the players as an effective leader of the O.

Muarer did a fine job (at times)"
1. Decisive, which is good
2. Got throws off to his 2nd option a couple of times, which is good.
But,...
3. Maurer is not looking off anyone. His throws can be scary. MSU safeties are licking their chops.

So, I think Maurer is now service-able (which is better than JG), but please, please, please lets have a good defensive effort Saturday. Lets run the ball Saturday. Lets freaking win this game.

We got beat by GSU because JG is not a very good QB when it comes to scoring points, and can't lead a team back from a deficit, and because the defense couldn't line up correctly at all; something it has struggled with to some degree all season since that first game.

It had nothing to do with coaches ignoring a scouting report on Georgia State, or looking past them to BYU. The coaching staff did a relatively poor job or conducting fall camp, couldn't determine a starting o-line, which they still haven't it would seem, and haven't managed to improve on the basics of lining up and tackling correctly on defense.
If I’m not mistaken they as much as admitted it. I remember a post that had second hand info of Chaney admitting this. I don’t remember exact details and I didn’t pay much attention to it until the post disappeared.

That said, the rest I agree with, from top to bottom, nobody showed up that game.

You would lose that bet. Coaches that ignore due diligence don’t remain employed very long. This is EXACTLY why we got beat by GSU.
We arent talking about our coaches. GSU proved they dont game plan. I am saying no one has to game plan against TN outside of an hour. It's like a scrimmage for most teams.

Muarer did a fine job (at times)"
1. Decisive, which is good
2. Got throws off to his 2nd option a couple of times, which is good.
But,...
3. Maurer is not looking off anyone. His throws can be scary. MSU safeties are licking their chops.

So, I think Maurer is now service-able (which is better than JG), but please, please, please lets have a good defensive effort Saturday. Lets run the ball Saturday. Lets freaking win this game.
Two comments on #3. One, a lot of his throws were RPO's. The QB is supposed to stare down his "keys" from what I understand... which looks a lot like "not looking anyone off". Two, he isn't often holding the ball long enough to really "look anyone off".

They're giving him 1 or 2 reads to deliver. In the UGA game his average time to deliver was 2.16 seconds. Fromm averages 2.17 for the season. JG was 2.43. Do you have some throws that scared you in mind? The one that comes to my mind that might scare you is the TD pass to Jennings. But from my pov that was just about perfect. He hammered the ball into a very tight window with perfect timing and placement.

The only thing that "scares" me is that Shoop may anticipate some of those simple reads and give him confusing looks. BM appeared to do a good job in the first half with the pre-snap reads. They switched up some in the 2nd half and confused him. Hopefully, much of that is being coached up this week.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back