Pruitt Is Not The Answer

The only time I can ever remember feeling this apathetic about Tennessee football was 2017. But even then we all had that glimmer of hope that Butch would eventually get fired.

I hate to be that guy but I can’t see this ever getting better. I didn’t even watch the game today because I knew I’d be happier if I didn’t.

Tennessee fans are as loyal as they come. After the last two decades Vols fans deserve better.

How about doing something novel like coaching up Harrison Bailey for the Arkansas game...He should be the future of this team moving forward. That is if they don't care if he transfers!

If Bailey has been buried in the playbook and weight room, it might make sense. I don’t think Pruitt is hurling excuses about Bailey being fresh considering no spring camp.

I’d rather go with Maurer for next two weeks and let Bailey get some series.

Between no spring camp and non conference games where Bailey would get mop up duty, I don’t think it’s wise to just throw Bailey in. If we make switch, go Maurer and see if he can stay healthy

That’s great, but I just don’t think he’ll ever win big. I think he and his system have a ceiling, and I don’t think long term that ceiling is high enough for us to be happy with the results.

He's already won big, he has 140 career wins in 18 seasons at two terrible jobs. Plus his coaching tree is outstanding. It would have been an opportunity to bring a modern offense into the program and to have a younger potential future head coach in the fold so we don't have to throw darts at a bunch of no names in the future. But that's all gone now. Miss State will see the benefits of Leach kick in in a couple years and likely for a long time to come after that if he trains his own replacement.

Don't disagree but I also don't remember anyone beating the door down wanting the job either. Honestly, if I was a coach I wouldn't wanna come here to coach. You'd have to be damn near perfect or your job would be questioned and your "fans" would be calling for your head.
Complete and utter bs...the fans fall in love as soon as a coach is hired...

Dooley, who had zero business coaching here was adored for his accent and last name

Butch "got it" with his brick by brick schtick

CJP and his cornbread "just knows football"..

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Coaches are idolized here until some beginf to realize they actually suck..

Complete and utter bs...the fans fall in love as soon as a coach is hired...

Dooley, who had zero business coaching here was adored for his accent and last name

Butch "got it" with his brick by brick schtick

CJP and his cornbread "just knows football"..

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Coaches are idolized here until some beginf to realize they actually suck..
Ok, so go ahead and list the names of those home run coaches who was beating the door down to get the job and the ones who would jump at the position if it were to open up tonight!!! Go ahead, I'll wait........

He's already won big, he has 140 career wins in 18 seasons at two terrible jobs. Plus his coaching tree is outstanding. It would have been an opportunity to bring a modern offense into the program and to have a younger potential future head coach in the fold so we don't have to throw darts at a bunch of no names in the future. But that's all gone now. Miss State will see the benefits of Leach kick in in a couple years and likely for a long time to come after that if he trains his own replacement.
I guess we’ll see.

Ok, so go ahead and list the names of those home run coaches who was beating the door down to get the job and the ones who would jump at the position if it were to open up tonight!!! Go ahead, I'll wait........

If Texas A&M can hire a coach with a national championship ring...we can do the same.

And if you have trouble hiring someone, here is a Life Pro Tip....you dont wait for them to knock on your door...you go get them. So if our administration is like you and sits around waiting on coaches to show up...maybe thats why we are getring boatraced in 40% of our games.

Yeah the Dabo thing is wearing thin.

A better comparison for the argument of longevity and patience, would be Mark Stoops....

But Mark Stoops develops talent, and does more with less...

So like nevermind.

Lol
If some of these folk think Pruitt is somehow going to be the next Dabo in the next two years........they are literally dumb.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Lmao Michigan State is just as bad as Rutgers though, that's like saying we should be happy we Mizzou and South Carolina earlier this year. Hell maybe we should actually. Mizzou and South Carolina ain't looking too bad as of late
Good thing you wrote this before SC v LSU game.

Fire Pruitt and you might as well end the program. No one wants this job anymore. It’s toxic.

National relevance is long gone. 2 most talented teams in the country on your schedule every year, with mediocre in state talent to recruit from. Delusional fan base.

There are 2 options. Be patient and hope Pruitt learns how to be a head coach in the SEC or fine a new hobby on fall saturdays

If they ever fire Pruitt I say they go to The Air Force academy and throw a good chunk of change at Troy Calhoun and let him bring his staff with him and install that beautiful triple option that everybody has such a hard time stopping and let him do his thing...With the talent he could get here nobody could stop it.

I never expected to win but I did expect a spirited effort by the team after last weeks embarrassing loss. I’ve come to realize Pruitt can’t motive his team, especially against superior talent.

Tennessee played soft today, both offensively and defensively IMO. Tackling was weak, ball carriers when down on first contact. These two programs are as far apart as they’ve ever been in my lifetime and I’m 65 years old.

I’d back up the brinks truck for Urban Meyer.
I don’t think he will coach again. He quit UF and OSU because he was burned out. If I’m wrong and he does come back to coaching, it’ll be at a place that already has the roster set up to win immediately. He isn’t taking on a full rebuild.

Pruitt sucks - period, end of story! The whole of UT media is carrying water for him. He is in way over his head. It is and was Pruitt' decision to play JG - it has been his damn decision since day one. Pruitt will be fired within 16 months; he is horrible. Pruitt actually said that Tennessee is closing the gap with Alabama - what the hell was he watching???

Bama ran a damn base defense vs JG - no blitzes, no stunts, no nothing! Saban wants Pruitt here for 10 years because he knows Pruitt sucks!
Saban is pretty much begging UT to fire Pruitt so he can bring him back as DC within 5 minutes. He’s at the end of his rope with Golding. He already took the playbook from him.

Reactions: allvol123
Nothing about Leach’s offense is modern. It’s just a gimmick.

Reactions: allvol123
Fire Pruitt and you might as well end the program. No one wants this job anymore. It’s toxic.

National relevance is long gone. 2 most talented teams in the country on your schedule every year, with mediocre in state talent to recruit from. Delusional fan base.

There are 2 options. Be patient and hope Pruitt learns how to be a head coach in the SEC or fine a new hobby on fall saturdays

Tennessee certainly isn’t “relevant”; however Tennessee is only a couple wins away in a fresh season from relevance.

Don’t think so......heck Tennessee had beaten SC & Missouri and we’re ranked....what 14th?

I’m not saying anyone would be knocking down the door to come coach at Tennessee. What I am saying is “relevance” would come easily......if Tennessee could simply win.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
All I want to see is an improvement from season to season. I'm not saying we should be able to beat Bama, but we should be able to at least put up a fight and make them earn it.

All I see out of Pruitt coached teams is both stagnation and regression. Quite frankly, I think Pruitt is the worst HC in TN History. The number of blowout losses under Pruitt's tenure has exceeded that of both Butch and Dooley. Not only that, but also Pruitt's stubbornness regarding the QB position is just mind-boggling and extraordinarily frustrating beyond measure.

I honestly don't see another guaranteed win on this schedule. If this team goes 2-8, Pruitt should be shown the door.

VN Store

Back