Pruitt cancels scrimmage (due to covid-related absences and injuries)

You don't shut down the world leading economy because of outliers. The "numerous young people" is essentially zero when viewed in the overall statistics. Those dying under 15yo are so low as to not even register

Sadly, our society tends to want to make the exception the rule. You see it everywhere.

Only lab tests but will give no other info as I've already given more than I should.
It's true that these were exceptions for a variety of reasons but the point is the disease can kill healthy people. It's easy to dismiss the exceptions as being rare events but when the exception is you, your wife, your child, your parent, etc it's a different ball game.

A lot of things can kill healthy people.

You figured it out. If the team was just as racist as you and the people that liked this comment then none of the players would have been close to the players who tested positive. Funny how you think it’s ok for them to practice around each other but not to have a life of any kind together outside of football.

Do you not realize more than just the players were there. I supported what they did but it still was an added exposure risk. Pointing that out makes you a racist?

Last edited:
And opinions can be racist. BLM was an idea before a radical group formed and tried to take ownership of the idea. The players were marching for the idea, not the group. Most of the protests going on across the country are for the idea, not the group. If you hate the idea of the players marching in support of an idea then you either hate the idea, or you hate the people doing the protesting, or you hate the people being in close proximity, or you hate peaceful protests. I assume posters on this board don’t hate Vols players, and I assume they support practice so they don’t hate the idea of players being in close proximity, and I assume they don’t hate rights guaranteed by the Constitution. The only remaining option is that they hate the idea.
Well the ones with the IDEA should make it clear that they aren't on the same page with the ones in the GROUP. That would make it a lot easier to understand for the great majority. And I haven't heard a lot of that, not saying your wrong but if you want to unify you don't divide, and the GROUP doesn't care about none of that and that if a FACT! And it isn't something most of the media wants to here from the IDEA folks. Most Americans would respect that, but it is not getting out. And at the end of the day, ALL LIVES MATTER and the quicker the IDEA folks separate themselves from the GROUP folks things would take a turn for the better. God Bless and GBO!!!!!

You're like one of those little brush fires that smoulders in the roots underground. Just when everyone thinks you're all tamped down, WHOOSH a new flare-up and you're back in business. Heh.

Don't mouth-breathe. This is a minor annoyance. Not a season ender. Not a major disruption. Not a big deal. Some fellas are injuried, some fellas got the flu (the Wuhan flu, not influenza), and some fellas got told to sit out because of contact tracing.

The good news: this is 7 or 8 more fellas who are going to have immunity through the season. We're getting stronger, not weaker, if you think about it.

With the uncertainty over the long term affects of Covid-19, I'm not sure I would be thrilled to have my child get the virus. I doubt they consider this something to be thrilled about.

The mere fact you call it the "Wuhan flu" shows that you're more into the politics of the virus than the science of it.

But tell you what, if it's something to be celebrated rather than feared please find someone who has it and go expose yourself. Then you can give us a report as to how it's not to be feared from your own personal experience.

My experience is that I have six friends who have had it. All were down for at least 10 days, one is still recovering after 3 weeks and one spent 2 weeks in the ICU. I would prefer that Trey Smith, for one, does not need to be exposed to this.

Why are we playing this year again ? So stupid just come back next season after we have a vaccine. Games will have to be moved or canceled because so many players will have to sit out or quarentine for two weeks makes no sense to try and play this fall and this season will absolutely be a write off and not legitimate I don’t care what anybody says that it will. And it’s only a matter of time before a player gets seriously sick or dies or a coach does. Greed for money over lives everytime in this country sad to see.
Every year people get vaccinated for the flu and still 10s if thousands die. It’s a virus. There is no cure. There are different strands. Someone already has co reacted the virus for a second time and had worse symptoms even with having antibodies in his system. If you want to shut everything down we will be shut down for eternity. Use this time to make adjustments for the future. A vaccine is not going to change things. It’s already been proven with the flu for many many years now. Plus the kids have just as likely a chance of contracting the virus through every day life. They’re still training hard as well outside to stay in shape. It makes no difference. At least with the team they’re getting tested often. They’re more likely to contract and spread it outside of football than with being within the team facilities being monitored each week.

With the uncertainty over the long term affects of Covid-19, I'm not sure I would be thrilled to have my child get the virus. I doubt they consider this something to be thrilled about.

The mere fact you call it the "Wuhan flu" shows that you're more into the politics of the virus than the science of it.

But tell you what, if it's something to be celebrated rather than feared please find someone who has it and go expose yourself. Then you can give us a report as to how it's not to be feared from your own personal experience.

My experience is that I have six friends who have had it. All were down for at least 10 days, one is still recovering after 3 weeks and one spent 2 weeks in the ICU. I would prefer that Trey Smith, for one, does not need to be exposed to this.
No, I'm really not into the politics of it. At least, not the American politics of it. International politics, maybe a little.

I don't call it the Wuhan flu because of Trump. In fact, the dude almost made me stop. I use the label in spite of him.

I call it the Wuhan flu for the same reason I call it MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) or the German measles or the Spanish flu or Legionnaire disease or Lou Gehrig's disease. Not necessarily because that's where these things originated (the Spanish flu didn't come from Spain, only seemed that way to Americans at the time), but because we need a name for these things that we face in the world. And calling something by an acronym (covid), or even worse a numbered acronym (covid-19) feels contrived and bureaucratic.

And yes, I admit: I also call it the Wuhan flu out of a refusal to kowtow to China's wishes. They gave us the disease, they can live with the name.

Look, it originated in Wuhan. Calling it the Wuhan flu just makes sense. You do as you wish; I'll do what makes sense to me.

So that's why I call it that. Nothing to do with US politics. Meanwhile, you're like the third person who has made an utterly wrong assumption about my political views (which I do go out of my way not to share) on this forum today.

p.s. Know who made the big stink about journalists calling it the Wuhan flu? China. The Chinese government put on a full-court press as soon as folks started calling it by that name, back in January-February. And they did one thing that was genius: they labeled it "racist". That one little step was enough to make a lot of folks fear the phrase, and before long the American media were jumping on board. When it has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the geographic origins of a disease.

p.p.s. Do you call that other disease "Ebola"? I bet you do. That's the name of the river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where that disease originated. Know why it's okay to call it Ebola? Because the Democratic Republic of the Congo never said it was racist to use that place name. Or, if they did, they didn't have the diplomatic muscle China has. So what will you call it now, if not Ebola?

Last edited:
Why are we playing this year again ? So stupid just come back next season after we have a vaccine. Games will have to be moved or canceled because so many players will have to sit out or quarentine for two weeks makes no sense to try and play this fall and this season will absolutely be a write off and not legitimate I don’t care what anybody says that it will. And it’s only a matter of time before a player gets seriously sick or dies or a coach does. Greed for money over lives everytime in this country sad to see.
You don’t have to watch since you don’t think there should be a season.

Reactions: FBtime and VolSteve
Unless you put every team in a bubble like the NBA did. This football season will not work too many Covid interruptions and more players and good ones at that are going to keep opting out. The good news a vaccine will be ready to roll out in November and by mid 2021 everybody in the US should be able to get one.
Don’t want it.

Reactions: VolSteve
This is why the season will be so weird.... If we had a game today we would have had to forfeit or reschedule..... Really starting to think any records will be worthless.....
If we had had a game on Saturday, the kids wouldn’t have protested, meaning they wouldn’t have had so many kinds positive/CT having to isolate

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
But
. But CV19 is a added risk that wasn’t there before. My dad is a doctor he has seen a 27 year old with no compromising health issues die from of Covid and a 29 year old.
Im sure, EVVERRRYYYBODDYY has an anecdotal piece of evidence to use

Friendly reminder that this, while unfortunate, is still absolutely fine and we'll all be watching the SEC start its season on September 26th. Anyone arguing otherwise has been categorically incorrect at every turn since March, so believing that this is where they're suddenly "right" is essentially the definition of insanity.
100%.

You figured it out. If the team was just as racist as you and the people that liked this comment then none of the players would have been close to the players who tested positive. Funny how you think it’s ok for them to practice around each other but not to have a life of any kind together outside of football.
Playing it pretty fast and loose with the term racist huh? What if the players protested to save the whales or save the rain forest? Would it be a reasonable assumption that you could be exposed to Covid during those protests ? As far as having a life outside of football, that’s really not part of the deal this fall. It’s not ideal, but if they’re in practice, the training facility, team complex, and the Thornton Center that’s pretty much what they signed up for with the option of opting out w/o penalty.

I worry about a player like Trey getting this with his clotting issues. I’m more concerned about lives and health than football. More than any other country in the world we have the most screwed up priorities in the US.
I wonder if Trey knows about this? Do you think he’s been talked to and made aware of the realities of the situation?You really might be Dumble. Good Lord.

Not spreading fear, just facts, I am very well aware of how immunity is acquired , and know it is not lifelong, maybe only days. Otherwise I would not have had cholera every 6 months or tetanus annually. To state young people will not have complications is pure B.S.
Speaking of B.S., see above.

There is already concrete data that immunity lasts for at least months (which is how long we've been able to study this), and there's no way in Hades that you've had cholera and tetanus annually. The tetanus vaccine is nearly 100% effective.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Speaking of B.S., see above.

There is already concrete data that immunity lasts for at least months (which is how long we've been able to study this), and there's no way in Hades that you've had cholera and tetanus annually. The tetanus vaccine is nearly 100% effective.
You are correct i did not have cholera vaccination annually, I had it every 6 months my entire Navy/USMC career. There is concrete evidence that reinfection with covid HAS occurred. I got .5cc tetanus vaccine Q5yrs 0.1 cc annually.

Do you not realize more than just the players were there. I supported what they did but it still was an added exposure risk. Pointing that out makes you a racist?

It does when you focus on that one event and ignore them going to class, parties, out to eat, etc.

Exactly, what if some people started a group called "Kinship for Kindness and Knowledge" and shortened it to KKK? I'm pretty sure they would soon change their name or not use KKK in their marketing materials.

In your example KKK had a negative connotation before the new group was formed. BLM was a popular idea and slogan before a group formed to try to take ownership of it. A more apt comparison would be if a group of anarchist from TN called themselves “The TN Volunteers.” If they started attacking gov’t buildings and the news covered their attacks would you want UT to change their name to avoid the association? Or do you think UT would assume people would understand that the two groups are different even tho they have similar names?

My experience is that I have six friends who have had it. All were down for at least 10 days, one is still recovering after 3 weeks and one spent 2 weeks in the ICU. I would prefer that Trey Smith, for one, does not need to be exposed to this...

I know seven people who tested positive. Only one showed symptoms. How old are your friends? In the cluster I know, they are all 17 or 18 years old.

Reactions: TennVols12
Why do people keep bringing up Trey Smith as if he has no choice in the matter? Or even worse, why do they seem to think that they know better than Trey and that he can’t make an informed decision on his own? If there is one player on our team that probably has more information than anyone else it’s Trey. It really is a microcosm of the world we live in.

Why do people keep bringing up Trey Smith as if he has no choice in the matter? Or even worse, why do they seem to think that they know better than Trey and that he can’t make an informed decision on his own? If there is one player on our team that probably has more information than anyone else it’s Trey. It really is a microcosm of the world we live in.

I have to admit, the issue of Trey Smith is one of the few areas where I really disagree with Pruitt. Sometimes a coach has to be the one that says no, that doing something is not in the best interests of the athlete.

I remember Condredge Holloway's senior year when he badly injured his shoulder. They were injecting him to be able to play. It was so bad they would drape a towel over his shoulder to hide the needle marks when he gave interviews. Bill Battle, thinking Holloway was going to play pro baseball, told him at mid-season he had given enough and his health was at risk. He was benched the rest of the season.

Then there was Todd Helton who wanted to come back from a knee injury to play against Alabama. Fulmer said no, that he wasn't going to risk Helton's baseball career.

The point is that if you've ever been part of a real team on a big stage, you want to be there for your teammates. It's why Trey came back. It's clear he loves his teammates. Sometimes that can cause you to made a bad decision.

I'm sure they are taking extra precautions with him but I really believe that he shouldn't be taking this risk and Pruitt should be protecting him.

But you are right, he's a grown man and he has a right to make whatever decisions. I just disagree with facilitating that.

Reactions: whodeycin85

VN Store

Back