Projecting the 2022 lineup

Vols need to upgrade the quality of their pitching staff, especially the bullpen. Vols' staff was solid last year but not on par with the other teams in Omaha. They need at least one more power arm in the starting rotation and a couple of power arms in the bullpen. Ben Joyce will be a candidate as he comes back from TJ surgery.

Reactions: StarRaider
Not sure where to put this, but a couple of the Rays top pick signings have gone under slot value. I don’t have the exact number, but it appears they’ve freed up roughly $500k and have 3 of their top 5 signed.

Sounds like a cat and mouse game of negotiations going on with multiple players. If the Rays have underslotted numerous players, that means each of the unsigned want the lions share of that money they've saved. The Rays may be in a bidding war with themselves now. I hope so for Ryan's sake.

Reactions: TN_gal
Vols need to upgrade the quality of their pitching staff, especially the bullpen. Vols' staff was solid last year but not on par with the other teams in Omaha. They need at least one more power arm in the starting rotation and a couple of power arms in the bullpen. Ben Joyce will be a candidate as he comes back from TJ surgery.

With Tidwell, Dollander, and Burns I don't think power arms in the rotation will be a problem. Sewell, Walsh, Connell aren't going to blow anyone away in MPH, but they are all 3 solid and experienced. McClaughlin, Joyce, Halvorsen, newcomer Grant Cherry, Rackers (is he back?), and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting about could develop into great power arms for us. I think we will be pleasantly surprised and deeper this year in the pen. A lot more upper tier firepower from the rotation as well.

A bit of a tangent from the 2022 lineup projection discussion. I have a question about scheduling for 2022. Is there a way to project who will be our 2022 SEC West opponents will be, or will we have to wait for the schedule announcement?

A bit of a tangent from the 2022 lineup projection discussion. I have a question about scheduling for 2022. Is there a way to project who will be our 2022 SEC West opponents will be, or will we have to wait for the schedule announcement?
If you looked far enough back at earlier years, you probably could back into a prediction of the schedule. For example, the last time we played Mississippi State, it was in Knoxville. I would think we’d play in Starkville next time. Then you’d have to figure out which opponents are rotating in and out since we don’t play all SEC teams each season.

If you looked far enough back at earlier years, you probably could back into a prediction of the schedule. For example, the last time we played Mississippi State, it was in Knoxville. I would think we’d play in Starkville next time. Then you’d have to figure out which opponents are rotating in and out since we don’t play all SEC teams each season.

Thanks for the info and tip, RBFjr. 👍🏽 I’ll do some digging into earlier years and see what can be found out. Curious as to which opponents are rotating in and out this season.

Reactions: @1RBFjr
Thanks for the info and tip, RBFjr. 👍🏽 I’ll do some digging into earlier years and see what can be found out. Curious as to which opponents are rotating in and out this season.

I had been wondering the same thing but don't know enough at the moment. One comment is that the home schedule shouldn't be quite as compelling since we just had Vandy, Arky, LSU, and the swamp-dwellers at home, which would rotate to away or a year off. Of course, any SEC matchup is high quality and hopefully we can administer many beatings to visitors.

I had been wondering the same thing but don't know enough at the moment. One comment is that the home schedule shouldn't be quite as compelling since we just had Vandy, Arky, LSU, and the swamp-dwellers at home, which would rotate to away or a year off. Of course, any SEC matchup is high quality and hopefully we can administer many beatings to visitors.

Once I’ve done some digging, I’ll post what can be pieced together. As for home games, while I agree they might not be as compelling as this past season, who knows which teams may be trending up when we play them? Timing may also be a factor.

Yes, hopefully we can administer many beatings to whichever team visits. 🤞🏽 LNS will be allowed full capacity next spring. Having many Vol fans in the stands will greatly add to the home field advantage.

Speaking of teams, Baseball America posted its 2022 SEC team stock watch today:

Here’s their snippet on Tennessee:

Tennessee (50-18, 20-10), reached CWS ⬆️

In 2019, Tennessee made it to regionals for the first time since 2005. Last season, it broke down an even bigger barrier in getting to the CWS, also for the first time since 2005. And it wasn’t just that the Volunteers got hot at the right time to get to Omaha. They were a consistent team from start to finish in the SEC and they finished a half-game up on Vanderbilt to top the SEC East during the regular season.

The challenge for Tennessee now is to turn a successful 2021 season into an extended run competing at or near the top of the SEC and making a push for more trips to the CWS. That won’t be easy, but it has a talented team returning next season and the administration seems to be committed to investing to make sure that happens. Earlier this summer, coach Tony Vitello signed an extension that will pay him $1.5 million and the hope is that much-needed renovations to Lindsey Nelson Stadium aren’t far behind. At long last, it appears that Tennessee is ready to be a serious contender in the SEC year in and year out.

Vitello said on the radio when we played at Georgia Southern that they would come to Knoxville to open the season this year. Also, from what I was told by a player, these will be the SEC games:

Home: Georgia, South Carolina, Mizzou, Bama and Auburn.

Away: Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss St.

A tough road schedule but looks like the Vols will avoid Arkansas and LSU.

Vitello said on the radio when we played at Georgia Southern that they would come to Knoxville to open the season this year. Also, from what I was told by a player, these will be the SEC games:

Thanks for the info! I do feel bad that LSU won’t have the chance to avenge their rare 5-loss sweep!!! 💪🤣🤗

Cleaning Up GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Appreciate the info, Thanos! ✊🏽

So, Chase Dollander may have a reunion with his former team straight away. That will be interesting.

That does look like a tough road schedule. Hope the road series are spaced out enough, and not bunched together similar to what LSU faced early in their SEC schedule this past season. Mississippi State may be looking to avenge being run ruled in the SEC Tournament.

As for Arky, glad we’ll avoid them next go around. I bet the reception for our guys and especially for Coach V will be markedly different when we play at Baum next time.

Thanks for the info! I do feel bad that LSU won’t have the chance to avenge their rare 5-loss sweep!!! 💪🤣🤗

Cleaning Up GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

😄 about LSU. They still may get their chance as we are both in the tournament field for the Shriner’s Classic. Having said that, not sure if we’ll be paired for a rematch.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Appreciate the info, Thanos! ✊🏽

So, Chase Dollander may have a reunion with his former team straight away. That will be interesting.

That does look like a tough road schedule. Hope the road series are spaced out enough, and not bunched together similar to what LSU faced early in their SEC schedule this past season. Mississippi State may be looking to avenge being run ruled in the SEC Tournament.

As for Arky, glad we’ll avoid them next go around. I bet the reception for our guys and especially for Coach V will be markedly different when we play at Baum next time.

😄 about LSU. They still may get their chance as we are both in the tournament field for the Shriner’s Classic. Having said that, not sure if we’ll be paired for a rematch.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Plus, we could of course play them in the SEC tourney or maybe another home super regional? I was just looking for an opportunity to mention the super-sweep!

Just my take but Booker may be the best pure hitter we have once he gets consistent reps at the plate…..not necessarily power like Beck but consistent ropes and getting on base

I'm hoping you're right. We need that guy at the top of the lineup to replace Spence.

VN Store

Back