Projecting the 2022 lineup

I was playing during Kevin’s time frame as well. What school did you go to?

NE TN pumped out some talent late aughts and early 2010s.
I agree! I grew up and played on the Virginia/Tennessee state line and played on the Virginia side and played in NE Tennessee during the summers and fall

It seems so long ago that Kevin was in HS. But all the guys who let Kirby hang around throw and hit with him made him who he is today. He lived in his 8 and 10 year older brother's world growing up which made him not afraid of anyone. When he was 8, he was playing kid pitch and was catching a lot. Kevin was playing in a varsity game and I was announcing. Between innings I would throw wiith Kirby who had his full gear on for catching. At some point, I heard Kevin's HC tell a kid to go to the bullpen and heard him throwing with someone. I did not realize until he was on the mound throwing full speed that it was Kirby. HC pitched a fit that we had 2 catchers in the dugout and our guy coming in to pitch was warming up with an 8 year old throwing full speed. No mercy from brothers and friends made him relentless in his pursuit of his goal. BTW, side note but he caught his freshman and sophomore year of HS when he was not pitching or playing SS. Made utility all state as a LHP, SS, and catcher freshman year and all state pitcher his sophomore year. Still has catcher's mitt in his locker but I don't ever see him using it other than to play catch with.

It seems so long ago that Kevin was in HS. But all the guys who let Kirby hang around throw and hit with him made him who he is today. He lived in his 8 and 10 year older brother's world growing up which made him not afraid of anyone. When he was 8, he was playing kid pitch and was catching a lot. Kevin was playing in a varsity game and I was announcing. Between innings I would throw wiith Kirby who had his full gear on for catching. At some point, I heard Kevin's HC tell a kid to go to the bullpen and heard him throwing with someone. I did not realize until he was on the mound throwing full speed that it was Kirby. HC pitched a fit that we had 2 catchers in the dugout and our guy coming in to pitch was warming up with an 8 year old throwing full speed. No mercy from brothers and friends made him relentless in his pursuit of his goal. BTW, side note but he caught his freshman and sophomore year of HS when he was not pitching or playing SS. Made utility all state as a LHP, SS, and catcher freshman year and all state pitcher his sophomore year. Still has catcher's mitt in his locker but I don't ever see him using it other than to play catch with.

Very cool.

We’ll take all the cool memories you care to dish out.

It’s a long shot, but not one of the AOSA guys by chance?
Yes sir! I didn't play consistently for them though because my family was more involved with Little League. I played for the Tri-Cities Thunder when I was maybe 10-12 and then played a few tournaments with the Tigers in high school.

Did he catch left handed? If so thats even cooler, you dont see many of those now days.

Yes. Actually both of the catcher's his freshman year were lefthanded. Small school with very few true baseball players. We went 23-3 and won districts. All three games we lost were to the two teams who played in state championship.
I actually do not see a disadvantage to left handed catchers. The SS stuff took hours to figure out how to maneuver the body to make plays but only had 2 errors all year. Only played there when SS was pitching. Strong arm was the only way he made SS work.

Reactions: vol66
I think the transfers are on there, but the freshman are not.
As fans, we’re probably in the same situation as in years past- the complete roster isn’t posted until a few days before the opener. Before then it only becomes a little clearer as word on a few guys starts to dribble out.

Reactions: 31VFL
Sorry. I knew it last week but don't like sharing inside information until it is out. He had surgery. Got hurt throwing a pitch at field. 4-6 weeks shutdown then will start working his way back. Hoping he can get back full speed by the end of the season.

Sorry. I knew it last week but don't like sharing inside information until it is out. He had surgery. Got hurt throwing a pitch at field. 4-6 weeks shutdown then will start working his way back. Hoping he can get back full speed by the end of the season.

Very sad to hear it and hope his recovery goes smoothly. I would agree with your stance on not posting sensitive information such as this before it is announced.

That sucks. At least he wasn't doing anything silly when he got hurt though, just an un fortunate accident.

VN Store

Back