Projecting the 2022 lineup

I was thinking…since Evan Russell was recruited as a C/3B, would he factor in as a possibility at 3B next season? What about this lineup:

Kyle Booker-CF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-DH

Drew Gilbert-LF

Jordan Beck-RF

Luc Lipcious-1B

Evan Russell-3B

Trey Lipscomb-SS

Charlie Taylor-C

Top bench players:

Christian Moore, Logan Steenstra, Cortland Lawson, Jorel Ortega

I was thinking…since Evan Russell was recruited as a C/3B, would he factor in as a possibility at 3B next season? What about this lineup:

Kyle Booker-CF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-DH

Drew Gilbert-LF

Jordan Beck-RF

Luc Lipcious-1B

Evan Russell-3B

Trey Lipscomb-SS

Charlie Taylor-C

Top bench players:

Christian Moore, Logan Steenstra, Cortland Lawson, Jorel Ortega

I’d worry about pulling Russell out of LF, who was pretty stellar this year (1.0 fielding %). Seems to be a push to get younger guys in the field, but they’ll have to prove it over the guys who have already shown it.

There was a game, I think against TN Tech, where we took a big lead, put in the subs, and there was a noticeable drop in defense, leading to a close game. That’s just one data point, but it is a bit concerning.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I’d worry about pulling Russell out of LF, who was pretty stellar this year (1.0 fielding %). Seems to be a push to get younger guys in the field, but they’ll have to prove it over the guys who have already shown it.

There was a game, I think against TN Tech, where we took a big lead, put in the subs, and there was a noticeable drop in defense, leading to a close game. That’s just one data point, but it is a bit concerning.

I think there’s a good chance Booker starts in the outfield whether Russell plays 3B or not. Evan might DH otherwise. Getting Booker into the outfield increases speed out there. I get what you’re saying, but making that change isn’t really a wholesale change to get younger guys in. It’s getting the best in.

As far as Booker is concerned , he has all the talent n the world , but played a little hesitant on defense when he was out there. But he was a freshman and that is quiet common. As for Russell , I still say he will be in the catching rotation. Having Evan and Luc back is a big deal for this team. Actually I personally think it takes Leadership on the field to make it to Omaha... Experience will pay dividends!! Lots of offense from those 2 guys!! Especially in League play!!
I read a stat that Russell hasn't made an error in 2 years and Luc only one. That's some Great baseball!!! GO VOLS!!!

As far as Booker is concerned , he has all the talent n the world , but played a little hesitant on defense when he was out there. But he was a freshman and that is quiet common. As for Russell , I still say he will be in the catching rotation. Having Evan and Luc back is a big deal for this team. Actually I personally think it takes Leadership on the field to make it to Omaha... Experience will pay dividends!! Lots of offense from those 2 guys!! Especially in League play!!
I read a stat that Russell hasn't made an error in 2 years and Luc only one. That's some Great baseball!!! GO VOLS!!!

Evan seems to have a Catcher’s mindset.

Well, that didn’t take long. Great to add Matt McCormick to the team!

I bet it’ll be a good competition between him and Charlie in fall practice.

Yep, TV was not messing around when he said they were still working on the roster.

Reactions: TN_gal
Yep, TV was not messing around when he said they were still working on the roster.

Definitely! He’s keeping the forward momentum going. Excited to see our new team emerge from fall practice. Great mix of new and returning talented players on the roster. I hope they can have similar chemistry like this year’s team. 🤞🏽

Reactions: Volprofch05
I think the starting outfield is gonna be the same as last year, slide Booker in at DH, can play in the outfield when you give one of the guys a day off and someone else can DH.

Obviously have 1B and C locked down now (whether it’s the WV catcher or Taylor) so still down to those other 3 infield spots which could go to any of 6-7 guys. Be shocked if they didn’t put out a completely loaded lineup with that many options

Not sure where to put this, but a couple of the Rays top pick signings have gone under slot value. I don’t have the exact number, but it appears they’ve freed up roughly $500k and have 3 of their top 5 signed.

Not sure where to put this, but a couple of the Rays top pick signings have gone under slot value. I don’t have the exact number, but it appears they’ve freed up roughly $500k and have 3 of their top 5 signed.

Thanks for the update and info. It’ll be interesting to see how much Spikes gets when he signs (I’m assuming he’ll sign…most will be surprised if he doesn’t).

How does Lipcius have another year left? D1baseball is showing he has played 5 seasons with 2020 not counting. But that is still 4 seasons.

VN Store

Back