Pre fall camp offensive depth chart predictions

Most SEC DCs have million dollar contracts.
They will have the book on New Coach's scheme by mid season.
Gimmick offense seldom works long.
Gimmick offense? It worked at Mizzou for the 2 seasons CJH was OC. (with less offensive talent I might add). That "gimmick" put over 50 points on us at the end of the season in 2017.

I feel like Eric Gray is clearly #1 in this discussion. Way ahead of the rest.

Chandler is better than Small, at least on paper, even if he wasn't the same after the injury.

I'm going to need to see these guys do it in the SEC before I say they can.
Guess we’ll have to wait for one of these new candidates to net the majority of carries against Vandy and log 200 yards +...and duplicate that effort against NO ONE ELSE. And for someone to rush for 655 yards to match Chandler’s season best...and he didn’t log most of that against non-cupcakes. I don’t need to SEE much to SEE better than Gray or Chandler.

Eh he was just a freshman last year. Nevertheless, I definitely don’t see Coby being ahead of Wideman on the depth chart. And probably not Holiday either. Davis is probably not the starter at tackle either, but I expect him to play some.
Wideman hardly even exists atm. He's on no depth charts. Would be a bit surprised if he's even on the team this year.

Lolol "gimmick". It and similar offenses are literally shredding college football every year. The only gimmick is people still thinking ram n jam rushing offenses with FBs and 7-8 men across the line are somehow even remotely close to optimal, when they're closer to the equivalent of basketball teams shooting all jump shots. Just dumb and mindless.

I expect Payton to make some noise at WR...just seems like he’s a good fit for this offense...

Other than that I think it’s pretty spot on...OT scares me...one injury and we’re hurting

That's true... and most are allowing 7+ points more per game than the top DC's were just 10 years ago.

Heupel isn't running a radically different playbook. Lots of teams run a version of what he does. He emphasizes speed which is different and not something easy to coach against. How would a DC use the other team working fast against them?

Another part is playcalling. How good is Heupel to the extent he calls the plays.

Probably the most difficult part is defending plays at that rate when the QB does a good job of getting them into the right play consistently. The opposing defensive staff doesn't have time to call audibles.

What do you mean by "long"? The wishbone was a "gimmick" that worked for a decade or more. Teams have now been running some version of the spread for 15 years? 20 years? I thought what Meyer did was a gimmick way back when too. No way did I believe you could go back to the days where the QB was a major element in the run game due to the size and speed of defenders.

Heupel doesn't really do anything "gimmicky" with regard to plays. He asks his QB to make more pre-snap decisions than a lot of teams do today. He plays fast. Again, I struggle to see how that "gimmick" can be turned against him. IIRC, even the grand pubah himself, Nick Saban, petitioned for a rule to slow offenses down because he couldn't figure out how to defend them.

IMHO... you'll see more teams adopt "speed" ball unless the NCAA does impose some kind of rule.

I always enjoy these and since our roster seems almost solidified for the fall, I thought it might be fun to throw the first out there post spring practice. For offense, I've used 11 personnel for base. Also note that instead of listing different names on the OL two deep, I've attempted to anticipate how I believe they'd actually be shuffled for depth in an in-game scenerio. I'd be happy to give my take on the defense as well.

QB: 1) Bailey
2) Mauer/Milton

RB: 1) Small/Beckwith
2) Evans

WR: 1) Tillman
2) Keyton/Holiday

WR: 1) V. Jones
2) Coby

WR: 1) Hyatt
2) Callaway

TE: 1) Pope
2) Fant/Warren

OC: 1) Co. Mays
2) Locklear

OG: 1) Ca. Mays
2) Carvin/Locklear

OG: 1) Spraggins
2) Carvin

OT: 1) Wright
2) Calbert

OT: 1) Davis
2) Ca. Mays
Other than Bailey I wouldn't quibble.

Bailey racked up numbers vs the #2 D in the Orange & White Game.... made up mostly of scout team guys who will never see the field. That's OK. He did what he was supposed to do. Maurer didn't do nearly as well in that respect. All three QB's played well and had good numbers working with the 1's against the 1's.

I am STILL not picking a favorite horse but the thing that stood out to me is that Hooker got more snaps and throws with the 1's than Bailey or Maurer. He did not play any snaps with the 2's. Maurer started the game but he was with the 2's when he did it. Hooker opened the game with the 1's.

I would say this is still an open race with Milton now running too. But if forced to say who I thought was leading right now... it would still be Hooker by a nose with Maurer and Bailey neck and neck for 2.

There are lots of people who thing Milton will just come in and take over... I don't. I think what Hooker did with VT was more impressive than what Milton did with Michigan.

It kinda still does me. That much raw athleticism needs to find a way to the field.
Need PLAYERS on the field. Would’ve been great if Sam Graddy could’ve caught the ball.

Gimmick offense? It worked at Mizzou for the 2 seasons CJH was OC. (with less offensive talent I might add). That "gimmick" put over 50 points on us at the end of the season in 2017.
I don’t care how it is labeled as long as we score lots of points

Other than Bailey I wouldn't quibble.

Bailey racked up numbers vs the #2 D in the Orange & White Game.... made up mostly of scout team guys who will never see the field. That's OK. He did what he was supposed to do. Maurer didn't do nearly as well in that respect. All three QB's played well and had good numbers working with the 1's against the 1's.

I am STILL not picking a favorite horse but the thing that stood out to me is that Hooker got more snaps and throws with the 1's than Bailey or Maurer. He did not play any snaps with the 2's. Maurer started the game but he was with the 2's when he did it. Hooker opened the game with the 1's.

I would say this is still an open race with Milton now running too. But if forced to say who I thought was leading right now... it would still be Hooker by a nose with Maurer and Bailey neck and neck for 2.

There are lots of people who thing Milton will just come in and take over... I don't. I think what Hooker did with VT was more impressive than what Milton did with Michigan.
Hooker throws a pick 6 but is the starter…. Ok…. Lol

Hooker throws a pick 6 but is the starter…. Ok…. Lol
Hooker threw a pick 6 against a starting corner.... in part because he played more against the starting defense.

The "show" that is the O&W game doesn't tell a complete story. But almost universally the guy who gets the most reps and goes out first with the 1's... is the #1 QB. Hooker did both.

And again, I'm not rooting for or against any particular guy.

Reactions: irish1485

VN Store

Back