• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Pre fall camp offensive depth chart predictions

keenobserver

EDITED ON 7/24

I always enjoy these and since our roster seems almost solidified for the fall, I thought it might be fun to throw the first out there post spring practice. For offense, I've used 11 personnel for base. Also note that instead of listing different names on the OL two deep, I've attempted to anticipate how I believe they'd actually be shuffled for depth in an in-game scenerio. I'd be happy to give my take on the defense as well.

QB: 1) Milton
2) Bailey

RB: 1) Small
2) Evans/Beckwith

WR: 1) Tillman
2) Keyton

WR: 1) V. Jones
2) Callaway

WR: 1) Hyatt
2) Payton

TE: 1) Pope
2) Fant/Warren

OC: 1) Co. Mays
2) Locklear

OG: 1) Ca. Mays
2) Carvin

OG: 1) Spraggins
2) Carvin

OT: 1) Wright
2) Calbert

OT: 1) Davis
2) Ca. Mays

Last edited:
I always enjoy these and since our roster seems almost solidified for the fall, I thought it might be fun to throw the first out there post spring practice. For offense, I've used 11 personnel for base. Also note that instead of listing different names on the OL two deep, I've attempted to anticipate how I believe they'd actually be shuffled for depth in an in-game scenerio. I'd be happy to give my take on the defense as well.

QB: 1) Bailey
2) Mauer/Milton

RB: 1) Small/Beckwidth
2) Evans

2) Keyton/Holiday

2) Coby

2) Callaway

2) Fant/Warren

2) Locklear

2) Carvin/Locklear

2) Carvin

2) Calbert

2) Ca. Mays

Where is Wideman?

Yeah, not bad.

My only question would be at TE, depends on how they want to use that position, Fant could get on field before Pope.

You're right about the situation. In 21 personnel or any other when a TE's hand isn't on the ground, I wouldn't have Pope TE1.....However, I actually believe we'll use Beckwith there (H) alot come fall.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think all vol fans have been wondering the same question.

Eh he was just a freshman last year. Nevertheless, I definitely don’t see Coby being ahead of Wideman on the depth chart. And probably not Holiday either. Davis is probably not the starter at tackle either, but I expect him to play some.

Reactions: irish1485

QB: 1) Bailey
2) Mauer/Milton

RB: 1) Small/Beckwidth
2) Evans

2) Keyton/Holiday

2) Coby

2) Callaway

2) Fant/Warren

2) Locklear

2) Carvin/Locklear

2) Carvin

2) Calbert

2) Ca. Mays

Looks solid. When someone takes the time to post the defense, some may be surprised at the experienced depth we have on the DL.

QB is a mess right now, even though we saw some good things.

RB looks about right, but Wright is ahead of Evans right now.

What about defense?

I love Wright and I agree he's ahead now, but Evans missed spring and I think he'll end up getting more carries next season. IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
QB is a mess right now, even though we saw some good things.

RB looks about right, but Wright is ahead of Evans right now.

What about defense?
I honestly think the QB room is better than we think. All the guys have nice upside. Got to find the guy that can see and read the defense the quickest

Last edited:
Eh he was just a freshman last year. Nevertheless, I definitely don’t see Coby being ahead of Wideman on the depth chart. And probably not Holiday either. Davis is probably not the starter at tackle either, but I expect him to play some.

I never read or heard anything regarding Wideman this spring. He wasn't targeted or catch a ball in the spring game or any media open sessions. A few weeks ago, a few on here were wandering if he was even still on the team. I haven't given up on him, but there isn't alot of evidence right now that he'll be counted on in the two deep next season. Do you know something about him we dont? (besides he was an awesome high school player).

Coby is a JUCO transfer with experience, caught at least 3 balls in the O/W game, and looked fast all spring.

Davis ran with the one's all spring. He, Cade, and Cooper were the only offensive linemen (as far as I can tell) that played with the first team all spring. Who's taking his spot in the fall?

Last edited:
I never read or heard anything regarding Wideman this spring. He wasn't targeted or catch a ball in the spring game or any media open sessions. A few weeks ago, a few on here were wandering if he was even still on the team. I haven't given up on him, but there isn't alot of evidence right now that he'll be counted on in the two deep next season. Do you know something about him we dont? (besides he was an awesome high school player).

Coby is a JUCO transfer with experience, caught at least 3 balls in the O/W game, and looked fast all spring.

Davis ran with the one's all spring. He, Cade, and Cooper were the only offensive linemen (as far as I can tell) that played with the first team all spring. Who's taking his spot in the fall?

Right. Well, we have several players who didn’t play much this spring but will contribute this fall. Just because guys like Davis and Jancek got a lot of run this spring does not mean they will receive significant playing time this fall. I will say it’s a little odd that there hasn’t been much chatter about Wideman, and it makes me wonder if there are any off the field issues. But until that info comes to light I would not expect Coby to come in and get more touches than him immediately. Even him being a JUCO. Wideman has too much upside....And Holiday was a QB in high school, so is still learning the WR position.

Also, I could see a platoon of guys playing left tackle until someone separates themselves. Whether that be Mays, Wright, Davis, Calbert, or Parker. It is also possible that our starting LT is not on campus yet and we still could be looking for a transfer.

Right. Well, we have several players who didn’t play much this spring but will contribute this fall. Just because guys like Davis and Jancek got a lot of run this spring does not mean they will receive significant playing time this fall. I will say it’s a little odd that there hasn’t been much chatter about Wideman, and it makes me wonder if there are any off the field issues. But until that info comes to light I would not expect Coby to come in and get more touches than him immediately. Even him being a JUCO. Wideman has too much upside....And Holiday was a QB in high school, so is still learning the WR position.

Also, I could see a platoon of guys playing left tackle until someone separates themselves. Whether that be Mays, Wright, Davis, Calbert, or Parker. It is also possible that our starting LT is not on campus yet and we still could be looking to for a transfer.

Great point about spring not always being an indicator about the fall, especially with our roster situation this spring. That's one of the reasons I've got T. Evans (who didn't practice this spring) listed over Wright at RB. I think Wright will be a contributor next year and this offensive blocking scheme fits his running style perfectly, but I think he and Small will get the same kind of carries and Evans and Beckwith will get the same kind of carries. I'm hoping and anticipating Beckwith will have some other responsibilites along with his carries.

I'll continue with you to hope we get a Wideman sighting soon.

I don't believe Davis, a scholarship tackle who played first team all spring and Jancek is a great analogy.

Last edited:
My gut still tells me Mauer wins out. Frankly.. I just want us to win so i dont have horse in this QBs race but I get this vibe he will be starter our first game.

Reactions: keenobserver
Great point about spring not always being an indicator about the fall, especially with our roster situation this spring. That's one of the reasons I've got T. Evans (who didn't practice this spring) listed over Wright at RB. I think Wright will be a contributor next year and this offensive blocking scheme fits his running style perfectly, but I think he and Small will get the same kind of carries and Evans and Beckwith will get the same kind of carries. I'm hoping and anticipating Beckwith will have some other responsibilites along with his carries.

I'll continue with you to hope we get a Wideman sighting soon.

I don't believe Davis----Jancek is a great analogy.

I agree with you on Evans. However, I do expect Jaylen Wright to get a few touches this year simply because of his wheels, and how speed oriented this offense is.

Davis and Jancek may not be as comparable from their expected contribution levels this fall. I really do expect Davis to contribute some, and Jancek not. ...but they are both still guys who are going to receive significantly less playing time come September than they did in April.

Reactions: Benchwarmer

VN Store

Back