Pre fall camp offensive depth chart predictions

WR is tough to pick because we have so many options, but not sure any of them are elite outside of Hyatt. But I could see a few of them breaking out this year, too: Calloway, Holiday, Wideman, Walker Merrill, Tillman.

Javonta Payton, as well; wasn't the 1st option at Miss State, but has elite speed and he's certainly good enough to make the 2-deep, but kinda suspect he'll be a backup.

I honestly think the QB room is better than we think. All the guys have nice upside. Got to find the that can see the read the quickest
I think any of them would at least be decent. Either one of them would play better than anything we have seen since Dobbs.

David Ubben from the Athletic thinks all the QB's could throw for 3,000+ in this offense.

Collectively wouldn’t argue. I don’t see Gray or Chandler as losses.
Yeah especially Chandler...

Gray was good, but idk it has always felt like there's something missing with him.

It's like he should be way better than he plays or something.

Kinda reminds me of the way Chris Johnson ran. Without the speed, but I always felt CJ should have been more elusive. Gray is like sometimes really elusive, but not as much as he should.

WR is tough to pick because we have so many options, but not sure any of them are elite outside of Hyatt. But I could see a few of them breaking out this year, too: Calloway, Holiday, Wideman, Walker Merrill, Tillman.

Javonta Payton, as well; wasn't the 1st option at Miss State, but has elite speed and he's certainly good enough to make the 2-deep, but kinda suspect he'll be a backup.

I thought that too about Payton, he shouldn't be omitted here. In fact, I don't know why but I feel like he's going to light it up at UT. He was good at Miss State but with that top end speed plus another year of maturing under his belt, and the fresh start with a new and very good OC ... I feel like Payton is going to be a plug and play with the ones. Also...I think the light's going to go on for Milton and he will be the main guy at QB. These are my own personal hunches, I freely admit. We'll know the actual answer in a few months.

What is not being accounted for in this offense is the number of plays that happen every game. The 4th string running back may get 40+ carries this year. We may have 5 receivers with with 40+ catches. It will definitely be fun to watch.

My gut still tells me Mauer wins out. Frankly.. I just want us to win so i dont have horse in this QBs race but I get this vibe he will be starter our first game.

I actually believe Maurer is the best of the three also. With that said, I put Bailey QB1 because his performance in the O/W game was by far the best. And because of that, I'm willing to bet he'll begin camp with a slight edge.

Last edited:
What is not being accounted for in this offense is the number of plays that happen every game. The 4th string running back may get 40+ carries this year. We may have 5 receivers with with 40+ catches. It will definitely be fun to watch.
Very true. That could skew some statistics as well, just based on the extra number of plays per game.

I actually believe Mauer is the best of the three also. With that said, I put Bailey QB1 because his performance in the O/W game was by far the best. And because of that, I'm willing to bet he'll start fall camp off as the starter.
I was thinking Maurer, but after watching Joe Milton film I think he might have a really good chance.

I thought that too about Payton, he shouldn't be omitted here. In fact, I don't know why but I feel like he's going to light it up at UT. He was good at Miss State but with that top end speed plus another year of maturing under his belt, and the fresh start with a new and very good OC ... I feel like Payton is going to be a plug and play with the ones. Also...I think the light's going to go on for Milton and he will be the main guy at QB. These are my own personal hunches, I freely admit. We'll know the actual answer in a few months.

I could see Payton panning out, but I think Milton is a bust. Would love to be proven wrong, but I see absolutely nothing in his track record to suggest he can succeed at this level. That's the only recruit we've gone after that I've been disappointed with.

Most SEC DCs have million dollar contracts.
They will have the book on New Coach's scheme by mid season.
Gimmick offense seldom works long.

Interesting post, but I can't help but think of the statement made by CJH in the interview that was just posted to this site. He said (and I am paraphrasing) that depth charts after spring ball aren't of value as there is so much work to be done in the summer and fall,. and so much opportunity to improve, that you don't really know who is going to be the best group until it's time to play the first game.

the "trigger man" as Coach Hype described the position
wpid-wp-1443283444264.gif
Need a "Quick Draw" Trigger Man

VN Store

Back