Praying Before Game WILL NOT BE STOPPED AT UT (merged)

Nashvol...maybe I missed it but what are the historical accounts of jesus you listed? There is almost nothing at the time by the way.

I'm concerned about losing my job or being passed on a promotion. I'm concerned about paying for college when my ACT score would have been enough for a full ride if I was only born a member of a different race.

I don't fear for my life at the moment, no.

Well then, I'd say your list of concerns fall within the "first world problem" realm. Still, its quite a bit better than being a slave to the Egyptian empire.

Nobody, not even our preachers, are gonna take a crack at why god's really bad geometry lesson in 1st Kings?

I didn't say that the disciples went to there deaths because there cause was right. They were martyred (I wouldn't say willingly) because they believed in what they wrote. That believed in what they saw and the events that surrounded Jesus Christ.

The gentlemen asked why we don't believe that it's possible that the disciples just made it all up. Would you be crucified for something you know is a lie when all you have to do is confess that is was in fact a lie?

Oh and I also added 2 (out of many) other historical accounts of Jesus outside of the bible.

I saw Jesus yesterday. He sold me a taco from his food truck. There is no way I'm going to beleive that there is a god that wants to punish me and have me tortured for eternity cause I wont be his slave and worship him. And if there is a god like that then I want nothing to do with him cause that is one evil sob. If there was a human that did what god did in the bible then he would be called the most evil person to ever live. why you want to worship that i'll never know but go for it. I wont have any part of that evilness.

Reactions: 3 people
Oh and I also added 2 (out of many) other historical accounts of Jesus outside of the bible.

Your "historical account" is from a second-century Christian writer claiming vague hearsay from a Greek historian who also lived over 100 years after Jesus and whose works have almost completely disappeared. This is a bit like citing Islamic works from the 9th century as evidence of the miracles of Muhammad. As I said, fragmentary.

Still waiting on the citation for the entrance into Jerusalem.

Reactions: 1 person
Joshua 10:11–13 reads: ‘And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Beth-horon, that the Lord cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died … Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and He said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher?2 So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.’

Just read it. A miraculous act from God I believe. Some say it was an eclipse, some say it is poetic description of events. Obviously your heart is hardened towards the Scriptures just as the Bible says some will do. I pray that some how that changes for you.

It's simple really. If you're going to force people to pray to one god then you'll have to force them to pray to all of them.

Your "historical account" is from a second-century Christian writer claiming vague hearsay from a Greek historian who also lived over 100 years after Jesus and whose works have almost completely disappeared. This is a bit like citing Islamic works from the 9th century as evidence of the miracles of Muhammad. As I said, fragmentary.

Still waiting on the citation for the entrance into Jerusalem.

Israel's Future, Part 2. Posted it earlier. Good read.

When you lift your eyes in hell, you'll believe.

Ah yes, the all-loving, all-powerful God who creates the world and then creates his own torture chamber. Who doesn't care whether you live a good life or not, because he has such a monstrous need to be praised that the penalty for failing to do so isn't simply snuffing you out, but keeping you alive to torture you for ever and ever and ever in the lake of fire.

I am not an atheist. But this model of an egotistical, vengeful God is simply intolerable, because in this conception God is a monster. If this is God, then he doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

Reactions: 4 people
Just read it. A miraculous act from God I believe. Some say it was an eclipse, some say it is poetic description of events. Obviously your heart is hardened towards the Scriptures just as the Bible says some will do. I pray that some how that changes for you.

Yeah...my heart is hardened (always love that religious term for logic) toward supernatural explanations. Never happens now...happened all the time back then.

Have you ever asked yourself why god is so insecure that he created man so he could have them worship him, and if they didn't he'd fry them in his cosmic bbq? Does none of that seem ridiculous to you?

Ah yes, the all-loving, all-powerful God who creates the world and then creates his own torture chamber. Who doesn't care whether you live a good life or not, because he has such a monstrous need to be praised that the penalty for failing to do so isn't simply snuffing you out, but keeping you alive to torture you for ever and ever and ever in the lake of fire.

I am not an atheist. But this model of an egotistical, vengeful God is simply intolerable, because in this conception God is a monster. If this is God, then he doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

That's who he is...an absolute monster...he mocks the handicapped, pulls a sick practical joke on Abraham where he commands him to kill his son Isaac then says at the last moment say, "ahhh...just F'in w ya...", and tells his followers to go rape some virgins...in the book of Numbers:

17. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

But few believers actually have read the thing and the ones that do treat it like a buffet and just ignore what is embarrassing or they don't like.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah...my heart is hardened (always love that religious term for logic) toward supernatural explanations. Never happens now...happened all the time back then.

Have you ever asked yourself why god is so insecure that he created man so he could have them worship him, and if they didn't he'd fry them in his cosmic bbq? Does none of that seem ridiculous to you?

Respectfully, I wasn't using that term for logic. It is my belief that God created man for relationship and to be glorified. And hey, I'm not a Bible scholar or preacher for that matter. I just can't help but believe in Christ because of the ways He has affected my life.

That's who he is...an absolute monster...he mocks the handicapped, pulls a sick practical joke on Abraham where he commands him to kill his son Isaac then says at the last moment say, "ahhh...just F'in w ya...", and tells his followers to go rape some virgins...in the book of Numbers:

17. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

But few believers actually have read the thing and the ones that do treat it like a buffet and just ignore what is embarrassing or they don't like.

Every discussion I have with my dad about religion -- and there are a bunch of them -- always winds back around to Numbers 31. Because there is no way to square up all the assertions -- God is a loving god, God is always the same, the New Testament builds off the Old -- when you throw that chapter into the mix.

Imagine the Israelites holding the Midianite girls down on the ground, probing with their fingers to see which ones had been with a man and which hadn't, and cutting the heads off the ones who weren't intact. At the direct order of God.

Every discussion I have with my dad about religion -- and there are a bunch of them -- always winds back around to Numbers 31. Because there is no way to square up all the assertions -- God is a loving god, God is always the same, the New Testament builds off the Old -- when you throw that chapter into the mix.

Imagine the Israelites holding the Midianite girls down on the ground, probing with their fingers to see which ones had been with a man and which hadn't, and cutting the heads off the ones who weren't intact. At the direct order of God.

Otherwise known as modern-day Afghanistan. Power to the people.

What if we casturated bulls before the game like Jackie Sherrill? Would they be against that? Hell IDC if we bang on gongs and howl at the moon as long as we can win!:eek:lol:

Horrifying, isn't it?

If we heard evidence that a brutal dictator, let's say Saddam Hussein, engaged in psychological torture of his generals by commanding him to kill one of his children to prove his loyalty and stopped him at the last second, we'd be outraged. To the magic god these people love...ehh, no problemo.

Just sick.

After reading through pages and pages of garbage, I had to chime in. My wife is Muslim and I am a christian. We co-exist and live and raise our daughter with our family values. This does not create an issue with us. The prayer before the game, does resonate mainly with Christians, because other religions tend to have set prayers that they follow. A moment of silence would not take away from anyone's religious belief, but rather provide a time for people from all religious backgrounds to practice their beliefs if they choose to do so. People saying their freedom of religion is being taken away seriously needs to understand what your freedom really is. You have the choice to attend your church, your revivals, your temple's, your mosque's, etc... But, it doesn't give you the freedom to encroach on someone else's beliefs. We sit here saying how intolerant other religions are, yet throw a fit when something that will not take away from your personal religious beliefs is brought into the spotlight. People from all religions need to take a step back and reflect on what their true teachings are about, and learn to co-exist in a peaceful tolerant world.

Reactions: 3 people
After reading through pages and pages of garbage, I had to chime in. My wife is Muslim and I am a christian. We co-exist and live and raise our daughter with our family values. This does not create an issue with us. The prayer before the game, does resonate mainly with Christians, because other religions tend to have set prayers that they follow. A moment of silence would not take away from anyone's religious belief, but rather provide a time for people from all religious backgrounds to practice their beliefs if they choose to do so. People saying their freedom of religion is being taken away seriously needs to understand what your freedom really is. You have the choice to attend your church, your revivals, your temple's, your mosque's, etc... But, it doesn't give you the freedom to encroach on someone else's beliefs. We sit here saying how intolerant other religions are, yet throw a fit when something that will not take away from your personal religious beliefs is brought into the spotlight. People from all religions need to take a step back and reflect on what their true teachings are about, and learn to co-exist in a peaceful tolerant world.

The children of the corn are not going to like the fact that you brought reason and logic into this discussion... errrr... condemnation!

Reactions: 2 people

I didn't know that story and your post concerning it was very disturbing to me so I began doing some research on it and will continue to do so. One site I found is What about God’s cruelty against the Midianites if you are interested in reading it as well. I respect the views of others and appreciate those who are participating in this discussion. Goodnight all and Go Vols!

VN Store

Back