Potpourri

What about the uncles?
bad-joke-badumtss.gif
CJ,

If they included our primate relatives I suppose it could tip the scales our way, not sure.

The most visited country in the world….France

All the living people in the world today (over 7 billion) make up 7% of everyone who has ever lived.

I once went to Joshua Tree National Park with my police officer girl friend...She had this really neat map that showed an area of the park where part of the movie "Them" was filmed...It was in the beginning of the film, where the little girl is just wandering through the desert, and the cops stop and rescue her...

Every time I see that show on television, I recognize the area and the enjoyment of exploring the area with her.....She saved me from getting bit by a rattler...I never saw it, but she did...It didn't rattle until we passed it by.
Joshua-Tree-National-Park-Header.jpg.optimal.jpg

ImpureEquatorialAdeliepenguin-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Some say the greatest performance of any athlete in any sport. They also say grown men - grizzly old race track veterans - cried as they watched it unfold. 26 lengths. Think about that.

It was 31 lengths my friend....I watched it unfold from my living room....I was jumping up and down, and hollering too.

He was the best there ever was!!!!!
secretariat%20color.c353d2d6890554f1bc6d5d952f5c905c.jpg

It was 31 lengths my friend....I watched it unfold from my living room....I was jumping up and down, and hollering too.

He was the best there ever was!!!!!
secretariat%20color.c353d2d6890554f1bc6d5d952f5c905c.jpg

I stand corrected, GT: 31 lengths it is.

The word awesome is overused these days. So it might not mean as much to some, but to me Big Red was a reason the word awesome was invented. He was truly awesome.

Yeah what a horse, weird but I think I once read none of his offspring were ever great on the track.

Except this one:

"It was a case of star by name, star by nature for 1988 Belmont Stakes winner Risen Star, the son of the great Secretariat.

Much like Point Given, Risen Star was looking for redemption in the Belmont after falling short in the 1988 Kentucky Derby.

Risen Star was trained by Louie Roussel III, a devout Roman Catholic who donated 10% of all the horse's winnings to an order of nuns after surviving throat cancer. The nuns were said to pray for the horse every day but Risen Star did not need divine intervention to take the 1988 Belmont Stakes, putting in a show reminiscent of his father Secretariat and scoring by 14-and-three-quarter lengths.

The winning time was a rapid 2:26.40, placing Risen Star second in the all-time fastest Belmont winners behind Secretariat at the time. For a year, father and son ruled the record books in the Belmont Stakes..."

1:59 2/5 set by Secretariat at the Belmont...It still stands today, and quite possibly, till we all stop breathing and this world has passed away......

Ten thousand words can't describe the beauty....
hxasos10g4i71.jpg

"It would be quicker to chronicle the races the superlative Secretariat didn't win, but his 1973 Belmont Stakes triumph is one of his most famous as it earned him a deserved and historic Triple Crown.

Coming into the New York race on the back of record-breaking victories in the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, there were still some doubts over Secretariat's stamina in tackling the grueling one and a half miles at Belmont Park.

Those doubts were put to bed quickly as Secretariat out-burned his old sparring partner Sham to record a staggering 31 length victory over second-placed Twice a Prince.

The track announcer Chic Anderson summed up events in the Belmont Stakes, saying: "Secretariat is widening now. He is moving like a tremendous machine".

No horse has gotten within two seconds of Secretariat's record Belmont Stakes time of 2:24.00 since and even with advances in diet, training and veterinary science, Secretariat has proven that his class is timeless. He showed the best of it in the Belmont Stakes of 1973."

His heart was twice the size of most horses, but no one could measure his desire to win....It was incalculable.

When "Big Red" was winning his races, the country was going through similar difficulties like we are today....When out of nowhere, this magnificent big red thoroughbred bursts on to the scene and showed all of us, just get it done.

After he won the first two legs of the triple crown, there were many dream stealer's saying it can't be done, or Secretariat was a fake, or whatever vile thing they could say about this magnificent horse, they said with gusto...

But I believed, and on that June day, of 1973, the whole world believed too. And yes Al, he was moving like a tremendous machine...He moved right into our hearts, and his memory is still there.....

b4870a55bbecfeecb326887868047a13.jpg

Guys, being the cultural person I am, and I know many of you guys are too, I thought you would enjoy this clip of this superb female German athlete, named Alicia Schmidt, as she wins a gold medal in the 400 meter race...

Just doing my part....

Reactions: PRG
Guys, being the cultural person I am, and I know many of you guys are too, I thought you would enjoy this clip of this superb female German athlete, named Alicia Schmidt, as she wins a gold medal in the 400 meter race...

Just doing my part....

As a former track athlete, I can attest to the 400 dash is the hardest race to compete in and I had to clear 10 hurdles while running this race ! The young woman is obviously a good athlete and a beautiful specimen of feminine stature. In my four years of competition…. I never saw anyone close to this physical attributes! 😁

VN Store

Back