Potpourri

As I may have mentioned to you before Gametime, I am not a graduate of SC…I went to West Point and later got my masters from the other USC, but I have planted a home on the coast of SC (Pawleys Island) for the past 25 years and have become a huge fan of WBB, as well as SC lady BB since I have been here. Anyway, I still keep a place up in Maine where I spend summers and it is true that all of New England loves them some Husky ball up there, but I just enjoy the game of WBB way more than men’s game, anyway, it’s gonna be epic this year between our fav lady teams and I know that is good for the game we love, peace to all.

As I may have mentioned to you before Gametime, I am not a graduate of SC…I went to West Point and later got my masters from the other USC, but I have planted a home on the coast of SC (Pawleys Island) for the past 25 years and have become a huge fan of WBB, as well as SC lady BB since I have been here. Anyway, I still keep a place up in Maine where I spend summers and it is true that all of New England loves them some Husky ball up there, but I just enjoy the game of WBB way more than men’s game, anyway, it’s gonna be epic this year between our fav lady teams and I know that is good for the game we love, peace to all.

Off topic, but apropos your West Point affiliation, have you seen the report where a firstie lacrosse player has entered the transfer portal as a graduate transfer with two years eligibility? In my class group, we're trying to figure out how this works given his commitment obligation.

Jim

Congrats to you for your accomplishments....West Point is tops...

I've been to U.S.C. (west coast) numerous times, mostly football games, but on the campus (and off) for a few meetings with "friends of the program." Thanks to the new NIL deals, friends of the program are very friendly and open now.

I'm sure you gave your wife a hell of a good time tonight for her 59th....She's still a pup...Memories are made of such nights.

Any of you guys ever play Whirly Ball?

In San Diego, around 1986 or so, I belonged to a Whirly Ball league....It was a blast...

Each team consisted of I believe 5 players, and rode bumper cars, like at the fair, and tried to score a goal by shooting a whiffle ball into a goal from a whirly ball racket.....

The team on offense would pass the ball back and forth until a shot could be taken, and the team on defense would ram them to stop them...A missed shot was scooped up by either team in the whirly ball rackets..

Some of the players in the league would come a little under the influence of some mind altering substance, or at least liquored up..

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster1
In the Whirly Ball league I had a good pal that worked on the buggy's (the cars) for the company....Before the matches he would let me know which buggy had the speed adjusted for the max....Yes, it was cheating but what the hell, it was all in fun...

I made some fantastic break away's because no one could catch me and my souped up ride.....Of course, some of the other players, from the other teams, and my team as well, caught on to the fix, so I had Al (his name) give me a fake number and I would know which car to choose by a secret code we devised...

It was such a grand time then....Miss the simplicity of the times.
image-2021-02-24-15-52-19-100.png

Here's a good true story....

The year 1999, somewhere between San Diego and Las Vegas...I was driving the long black highway, going toward Las Vegas for a few days of get away...Each sage brush looked like the last one I had passed a few yards back...The road was monotonous.

To break the boredom I would observe the desolate houses I would see off to the side the main road...They seemed to dot the landscape, like so many pieces of pepper on sunny side up eggs. They were numerous, to be so alone.

At these remote houses, I never saw any sign of life..In fact, many of the homes did not even have cars in front of them...They just seemed to set motionless in the hot sun, oblivious to the passage of time.

Well, I was born with a curious mind, so I had to find out who lived in one of these houses situated away from everything....Why were they there? What was their story?

I pulled my car over near a dirt driveway, and acted like I had car trouble...I got out and raised the hood, as if looking for the trouble that did not exist...I made as much noise as I could, like slamming a car door or two, and even honked the horn a time or two.

I had been there for close to 30 minutes when I heard a voice from in front of the house say, "Having some car trouble?"

I looked up, and sure enough, there were two guys walking down the driveway towards me...And one was carrying what looked like a shotgun...The other guy was armed only with a very friendly smile.

Since I had a combat background, and a debt collection background for a bookie, I was no stranger to what the sound of an iron click can do to the calm of the moment... I quickly looked around my vicinity for any type of safe cover, should the guy with the shotgun get frisky. There wasn't any.

I won't say if I was armed or not, but I was definitely out gunned, and out numbered...The double barrel shotgun was worth two men by itself. I had walked/driven right into trouble...I didn't like my chances.

As the two guys got closer, I continued to work on the problem that did not exist...I kept my head under the hood, but still watching their approach. When they were within a few feet of me, the guy with the shotgun said I was the first person that had ever stopped at their driveway...

The older man told him to shut up and get going...It turned out shotgun boy was his son, he was about 22, or so...He was going rabbit hunting when he saw my car at the end of their driveway...

The older man had a law enforcement background, and did some security work for a dude ranch down the way...It was fairly easy work, he said...There's rarely any trouble when you have no clothes on....No where to hide a weapon, that is no comfortable place to hide a weapon...And then he laughed, and said it was a nudist dude ranch.

I ended up having a beer with the guy, although I'm not a beer drinker, it was the right thing to do...He told me some great story's about his nudist dude ranch work...

He said that as long as he was not in the clothing prohibited part of the camp, he could keep his clothes on, but if he had to go into no clothes section, off they go...

He said he had to go into the no clothes section a few times, but he still wore his holster, for he is the law there...He turns his holster around till it is in the front, and he puts his badge on his holster....When he told me that I just lost it, could not stop laughing...

I finally left and went on my way....It goes to show you, you can meet the greatest people along the side of a desert highway.
stock-photo-travel-sky-highway-asphalt-roads-mountains-rural-highways-new-mexico-5dcebb87-a2cf-426c-b6f6-c0d539839970.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to go on the football forum so I am just going to say here Wooo Weee did Nick Sabin just go there?!?! Jimbo Fisher was so mad he was tearing up!!
We are going to need some popcorn for this one!

Looks like little Nick is losing his under the table payment advantage, and he is mad as hell....
flat,750x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Here's a good true story....

The year 1999, somewhere between San Diego and Las Vegas...I was driving the long black highway, going toward Las Vegas for a few days of get away...Each sage brush looked like the last one I had passed a few yards back...The road was monotonous.

To break the boredom I would observe the desolate houses I would see off to the side the main road...They seemed to dot the landscape, like so many pieces of pepper on sunny side up eggs. They were numerous, to be so alone.

At these remote houses, I never saw any sign of life..In fact, many of the homes did not even have cars in front of them...They just seemed to set motionless in the hot sun, oblivious to the passage of time.

Well, I was born with a curious mind, so I had to find out who lived in one of these houses situated away from everything....Why were they there? What was their story?

I pulled my car over near a dirt driveway, and acted like I had car trouble...I got out and raised the hood, as if looking for the trouble that did not exist...I made as much noise as I could, like slamming a car door or two, and even honked the horn a time or two.

I had been there for close to 30 minutes when I heard a voice from in front of the house say, "Having some car trouble?"

I looked up, and sure enough, there were two guys walking down the driveway towards me...And one was carrying what looked like a shotgun...The other guy was armed only with a very friendly smile.

Since I had a combat background, and a debt collection background for a bookie, I was no stranger to what the sound of an iron click can do to the calm of the moment... I quickly looked around my vicinity for any type of safe cover, should the guy with the shotgun get frisky. There wasn't any.

I won't say if I was armed or not, but I was definitely out gunned, and out numbered...The double barrel shotgun was worth two men by itself. I had walked/driven right into trouble...I didn't like my chances.

As the two guys got closer, I continued to work on the problem that did not exist...I kept my head under the hood, but still watching their approach. When they were within a few feet of me, the guy with the shotgun said I was the first person that had ever stopped at their driveway...

The older man told him to shut up and get going...It turned out shotgun boy was his son, he was about 22, or so...He was going rabbit hunting when he saw my car at the end of their driveway...

The older man had a law enforcement background, and did some security work for a dude ranch down the way...It was fairly easy work, he said...There's rarely any trouble when you have no clothes on....No where to hide a weapon, that is no comfortable place to hide a weapon...And then he laughed, and said it was a nudist dude ranch.

I ended up having a beer with the guy, although I'm not a beer drinker, it was the right thing to do...He told me some great story's about his nudist dude ranch work...

He said that as long as he was not in the clothing prohibited part of the camp, he could keep his clothes on, but if he had to go into no clothes section, off they go...

He said he had to go into the no clothes section a few times, but he still wore his holster, for he is the law there...He turns his holster around till it is in the front, and he puts his badge on his holster....When he told me that I just lost it, could not stop laughing...

I finally left and went on my way....It goes to show you, you can meet the greatest people along the side of a desert highway.
stock-photo-travel-sky-highway-asphalt-roads-mountains-rural-highways-new-mexico-5dcebb87-a2cf-426c-b6f6-c0d539839970.jpg

Those roads out west are incredible. You can see 25 miles ahead. The roadway comes to a pin point on the far horizon. There isn't a tree or any shade in site. You realize if you break down you are in real trouble if you have no water. It's intimidating. Deliberately "breaking down" at a driveway is the last thing I would ever do. Just keep moving and stay hydrated.

Good points Al, but I got tired of just passing by all these deserted looking houses and wanted to see what some of their stories were...I'm glad I stopped, but it could have gone sideways if the house I stopped at was up to no good.

I once went to a place called the Salton Sea, just to see what the story was there.....This is a place where the salt content in the water is very high....It is reported a person cannot sink in the water, due in large part to the high salt content...There was a lot of dead fish on the shoreline, and the smell was not the greatest.

I took with me my at the time girlfriend, a SD police officer girl, named Cindy Lou....She was a real athlete and loved car/driving adventures....She was an avid rock climber, but that is a story for another time....The girl was built for adventure...Prettiest police officer I ever saw.

When we went to the Salton Sea for a visit, it was a look back into southern California's not too distant past....There was a time it was a booming area for tourism in the southern California landscape, but due to a variety of reasons, economical and environmental, most of the area now resembled a ghost town...

Abandoned houses and businesses were everywhere. There were abandoned cars and trailers, just setting there decaying in the hot sun...It was an eerie feeling looking at where so many people's dreams had come to an end...The sense of loss hung heavy in the air.

When we first got to the Salton Sea area, we found the local sheriff facility and checked in with them to see what were some of the particular laws and customs associated to the Salton Sea area...When in Rome.

Cindy Lou let them know she was an off duty SD police officer and we were both legally armed...This way, if someone called the cops on us, all would be cool...

We drove into what once must have been a thriving business area...There were abandoned shops and what appeared to be a long forgotten service station...Found a couple of faded away cafes, and a few abandoned motels, and a once thriving trailer park, now, just abandoned cement fixtures.

Near the water we did find an actual working restaurant with some local residents hanging out there, just passing time drinking beer, or coffee...It looked like it was from the 50's, like time had just stood still there.

We talked with a few of the locals, and I was surprised at how happy most of them were...Their common theme was the Salton Sea is the place to be if you wanted to be left alone...Tourists don't come there anymore.

After awhile we left and went and explored more of this forgotten town on this man made sea...I was careful not to disturb their past, but I kept thinking the area reminded me of the movie Tremors and was waiting for a Graboid to rise up out of the sand and grab us...

What it once looked like...
salton-sea-1950s.jpg

Today...(Then)
61faea8239fff.image.jpg

1280px-Salton_sea_motel.jpg

Last edited:
The 4 stages of man....

When you are a young man full of energy...
fortnite-volcano-eruption-fortnite-volcano.gif

When you're in your early 20's and 30's...
volcano-eruption.gif

When you're in 40's and 50's...
KindlyObedientAmericanalligator-max-1mb.gif

When you're 60 and beyond....
Mount-Fuji-foreground-Lake-Kawaguchi-Chubu-Honshu.jpg

Fun facts:

North Korea and Cuba are the only places you can't buy Coca-Cola.

All the ants on earth weigh approximately the same as all the humans on earth.

More than 52% of the world's population is under 30 years old.

Only one country does not use the metric system currently……USA

VN Store

Back