Potpourri

In other gule news, I pulled off (and then ate) the first 3 ripe fruits of the year from my latest little crop of sweet cherry tomatoes two days ago. they were gooood! First zucchini will be ready to pick today.

Ha ha, I didn't realize eating grits was such a culinary creation. I was wrong.

Grits are manna from heaven. Butter, salt, pepper. Can add cheese on top or stir in and/or top with fried eggs. A grits soufflé is acceptable, but why waste the time and effort? Just gilding the lily. Obviously ham or bacon or sausage on the side is always good. Shrimp and grits are a totally different culinary delight. My SC family had a shrimp and grits station at their son’s wedding. Sugar is an anathema,@Orange_Mamba, you are correct. My mama explained to me what happened to people who put sugar on grits😞. I always liked @Coach Jumper, but seriously, espousing sugar on grits!? Coach!! Get thee behind me! Next Sir Jim or @Benionsopinion will say they eat sugar on grits. Then my world will shake.

Grits are manna from heaven. Butter, salt, pepper. Can add cheese on top or stir in and/or top with fried eggs. A grits soufflé is acceptable, but why waste the time and effort? Just gilding the lily. Obviously ham or bacon or sausage on the side is always good. Shrimp and grits are a totally different culinary delight. My SC family had a shrimp and grits station at their son’s wedding. Sugar is an anathema,@Orange_Mamba, you are correct. My mama explained to me what happened to people who put sugar on grits😞. I always liked @Coach Jumper, but seriously, espousing sugar on grits!? Coach!! Get thee behind me! Next Sir Jim or @Benionsopinion will say they eat sugar on grits. Then my world will shake.

actually I can go both directions with grits,,,eat em like cereal with sugar and butter or eat em like a baked potato (salt, pepper, butter, bacon bits, cheese, chives)...a very versatile southern delicacy

I always liked @Coach Jumper, but seriously, espousing sugar on grits!? Coach!! Get thee behind me! Next Sir Jim or @Benionsopinion will say they eat sugar on grits. Then my world will shake.

No need to worry on my part. I am a true son of the south when it comes to grits! In fact, I didn't know anyone ate grits with anything other than butter and salt until my 4-year sojourn in New York state. I do have to admit that, since those early days, I have expanded my culinary additions to grits to include pepper, bacon, and cheese (not to be confused with "cheese grits" which are only acceptable if prepared properly. Simply melting cheese into grits does not make them "cheese grits", in my opinion.), and have developed a taste for shrimp and grits. But, sugar on grits will never pass my lips.

Jim

Just like grits with butter,, salt and pepper. Hate sugar in cornbread

A little interesting info for you guys...
Janette Goldstein...
She played Vasquezs, the macho female soldier in the movie Aliens, was also Janelle in the movie Terminator 2: Judgement Day...And she was the Irish Immigrant mother in the movie Titanic, who tells her children first class passengers have to be loaded first...
3j0aneya5sf81.jpg

61Ewi7AEzsS._AC_SL1261_.jpg

irish-mom-bedtime-titanic-1513207276.jpg

Without looking, I was trying to remember my first post in this thread and why it became part of my reading material. I think I posted about the title that “I don’t know about pourri but I like the pot part”……

Reactions: GameTime
Damn! I went back from page 1 and had to scroll thru to page 18 to find it Had not read the first 17 before….great stuff. GT kept this baby alive early on knowing it would take on a life.

Reactions: Bret178
Damn! I went back from page 1 and had to scroll thru to page 18 to find it Had not read the first 17 before….great stuff. GT kept this baby alive early on knowing it would take on a life.

Rooster my friend, time is a jet plane, it moves too fast....Our written words are our thoughts at a certain moment of the passage of time...

51xkkWHq0RL.jpg

GT, go back and review starting on page 7, esp the ones where you were the lone poster just typing in a word or thought to keep the thread alive….it was amazing stuff early on. A lot of the early posts were funny as hell.

GT, go back and review starting on page 7, esp the ones where you were the lone poster just typing in a word or thought to keep the thread alive….it was amazing stuff early on. A lot of the early posts were funny as hell.

Rooster, I did what you suggested....Lots of good reading and wonderful remembering on those long ago forgotten pages....Perhaps remembering is our greatest sense, so easily taken for granted, until stolen by Alzheimer, or some other devilish curse of Pandora's box.

Imagine a few of your most precious memories...Now imagine what your life would be like without them...Are your memories a product of you, or are you a product of your memories? That is real deep...Like a corkscrew to your heart.

On some of the earlier pages I replaced a video, or song, with just my GT initials....I though I was saving bandwith space...In any event, it is a fun thread where anyone can speak of anything.

Barbara-Eden-HOT-LOOK.jpg

Oh, you do realize that maze of threads on the terminator actress was your first post ever on this site…he he. Love what you do here GT, I could read your ramblings and stories all day.

Oh, you do realize that maze of threads on the terminator actress was your first post ever on this site…he he. Love what you do here GT, I could read your ramblings and stories all day.

It's obvious, by my repeating the info on Janette Goldstein, confirms I really like that actress, or I'm getting senile...Probably a little of both.

And yes, Barbara Eden is well named...She is a garden of delight.
Beauty walks a razors edge...
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Rooster1
Rooster back in the early 90's I had a live in girl friend (named Mary Lee) that dressed up like Jeannie for Halloween.....She made her own harem costume and watched reruns of "Jeannie" to get her mannerisms down...

She really had it down to a science...ML would answer the door whenever kids would show up for candy...She would call everybody master, or whatever, just to make the illusion more real.....

ML was extremely shapely, extremely pleasing to the eye....Often times the fathers would come back for candy without their kids...It was a real kick listening to their excuses why they came back.....

ML was a dead ringer for Terri Nunn, the lead singer for Berlin...Just for giggles, she would tell people that asked her if she was the singer for Berlin, she would say yes, but don' tell anyone I'm here.

She won a "major entertainment contest" in San Diego...Playboy even came to my house, she lived with me, and did an interview with her for a show they sponsored on adult TV.....Her favorite song, that she danced to, was "Hurt so Good" by John Mellencamp.

A lot more I could tell you about her...It was a great 5 years, I'll leave it at that. She looked exactly like Terri Nunn, hair and all.
hqdefault.jpg

Question, was Berlin the group that sang 99 Luft Balloons? My memory fades right now..

edit: I just remembered, Take my breath away from the Top Gun movie sound track…ahh yes

GT, I just got back from a dinner party celebrating my wife’s 59th Bday, heard this song playing in the background of the restaurant and got some good memories from this era, anyway, here it is, Freddy and Bowie doing their classic: Live in Wembley…RIP Freddy and David B

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back