Potpourri

My version of Covid was a cough that I couldn't shake and a low grade fever. I was like Volball09, it was probably about a week in before I realized what was happening. My wife and son wound up quarantined longer than I was, and neither one of them ever were diagnosed positive.

Reactions: VolBall09
Had COVID this week. It was so mild I didn’t even realize I was sick until almost a week in. Definitely part of why it spreads so readily. Many of us hardly felt ill! Had an upset stomach to start with, then a very mild fever a few days later. Then no symptoms at all for 5 days. Then Saturday I woke up a bit congested with absolutely no smell and no taste. Today marks day 13 since onset of symptoms. Very very mild for me thankfully. I’m essentially back to normal except my sense of smell is still diminished.

Wonder if they can have more fans if we can prove we’ve already had it?

I have had two negative tests since then...I'm in!

Had COVID this week. It was so mild I didn’t even realize I was sick until almost a week in. Definitely part of why it spreads so readily. Many of us hardly felt ill! Had an upset stomach to start with, then a very mild fever a few days later. Then no symptoms at all for 5 days. Then Saturday I woke up a bit congested with absolutely no smell and no taste. Today marks day 13 since onset of symptoms. Very very mild for me thankfully. I’m essentially back to normal except my sense of smell is still diminished.

Wonder if they can have more fans if we can prove we’ve already had it?

Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, having it once doesn't guarantee you won't get it again. Also, beware that many people who've had the seemingly minor symptom of loss of the sense of smell have reported as having later developed a bizarre sensory aversion to certain foods. For instance, a lifelong chocolate lover might suddenly find that chocolate smells and tastes like rotten eggs. Or the scent of something normally lovely and fragrant like lavender suddenly smells like rotting meat. There are many, many cases of this happening, so beware.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, having it once doesn't guarantee you won't get it again. Also, beware that many people who've had the seemingly minor symptom of loss of the sense of smell have reported as having later developed a bizarre sensory aversion to certain foods. For instance, a lifelong chocolate lover might suddenly find that chocolate smells and tastes like rotten eggs. Or the scent of something normally lovely and fragrant like lavender suddenly smells like rotting meat. There are many, many cases of this happening, so beware.

I’m well aware. It does provide you temporary immunity of at least several months. Re-infection is the exception, not the rule based on case reports. It’s important to allow facts and science to prevail. I have a degree in molecular cellular biology and I’m a physician. I don’t get on here and spout off about COVID. Simply sharing my personal experience and offering some humor and a novel solution for possibly having more fans at games.

And yes, I’m a physician and barely recognized that I was ill. That’s how mild my infection was. I have been discussing COVID daily and have been monitoring myself for months and I went a full week before realizing I had it. Thankfully this is how it will be for most people. I for one do not think shutdowns are the answer. If you’re high risk, by all means, stay yourself at home. Those at low risk should be allowed to make those decisions for themselves. Now that we have more targeted therapeutics the mortality rate has dropped remarkably. It’s still a very serious infection for some, but it’s certainly manageable for most. With a vaccine on the horizon I imagine brighter days ahead.

I never knew I had it either. Decided to get tested after 4 July since almost everyone in my neck of the woods refused to implement the avoidance protocols. Never had any symptoms but did worry a lot after testing positive. It seemed, at the time, to be a death sentence, because of the way it was politically militarized.

I'm pretty sure I had it back in February. I had this weird dry cough that was unlike anything I've ever had before. I probably spread it to my whole office.

I never knew I had it either. Decided to get tested after 4 July since almost everyone in my neck of the woods refused to implement the avoidance protocols. Never had any symptoms but did worry a lot after testing positive. It seemed, at the time, to be a death sentence, because of the way it was politically militarized.

Bingo
I went into an immediate scare when diagnosed positive in May,,,then a day later the symptoms subsided

In my opinion, it's better to be overly cautious than under-cautious concerning the virus since, as far as I know, there's no sure-fire way to tell who will or will not actually end up dying from it. I've read about people, young and older, who were in good health and with no underlying issues inexplicably dying from it. Yes, it's rare that that happens -- thank goodness! -- but it does happen. So when some folks think the virus is being, as you say, "politically militarized," I'm thinking, "Thank goodness there are people pounding it into everyone's minds that there are simple things I can do to help prevent my ever getting it since there's no way of knowing whether or not I'll be one of those rare, shocking deaths from it."

On the flip-side, I've also read about people who you'd think might die from it given all the pre-existing conditions they had, or their advanced age, etc., making it through it like champs. What makes it worth taking extra precautions is that no-one knows yet why there are exceptions to the rule. Would I be one of the lucky people who barely even notice they'd had it? Or would I be one of the unlucky ones who inexplicably died? I, for one, don't want to find out.

In my opinion, it's better to be overly cautious than under-cautious concerning the virus since, as far as I know, there's no sure-fire way to tell who will or will not actually end up dying from it. I've read about people, young and older, who were in good health and with no underlying issues inexplicably dying from it. Yes, it's rare that that happens -- thank goodness! -- but it does happen. So when some folks think the virus is being, as you say, "politically militarized," I'm thinking, "Thank goodness there are people pounding it into everyone's minds that there are simple things I can do to help prevent my ever getting it since there's no way of knowing whether or not I'll be one of those rare, shocking deaths from it."

On the flip-side, I've also read about people who you'd think might die from it given all the pre-existing conditions they had, or their advanced age, etc., making it through it like champs. What makes it worth taking extra precautions is that no-one knows yet why there are exceptions to the rule. Would I be one of the lucky people who barely even notice they'd had it? Or would I be one of the unlucky ones who inexplicably died? I, for one, don't want to find out.

Exactly what runs through my mind when I think about driving on I 40. But somehow I talk myself into it after giving horseback to Rocky Top a brief thought. As much as I would like to be, I convince myself I am not John Wayne.

There is a bright side to COVID-19. Mysterious as it is, it has seemingly eliminated the FLU from the USA. Thank the good lord for that.

I currently have covid-19 about 9 days in. My only symptom is loss of smell. If I hadn't lost my smell, I would still be at work without a clue.

I've consistently masked up and done the social distancing. It may be part of the reason that I'm asymptomatic due to getting a small load. I have no clue where I would have gotten it. Gas station, ordering take out, church, who knows?

I've had friends and clients that have had a very rough time with it with one dieing. I have to help her children with her estate whenever I'm all clear.

I currently have covid-19 about 9 days in. My only symptom is loss of smell. If I hadn't lost my smell, I would still be at work without a clue.

I've consistently masked up and done the social distancing. It may be part of the reason that I'm asymptomatic due to getting a small load. I have no clue where I would have gotten it. Gas station, ordering take out, church, who knows?

I've had friends and clients that have had a very rough time with it with one dieing. I have to help her children with her estate whenever I'm all clear.
sorry to hear about your friend, but happy to hear that you are not hit too hard.
Prayers for your complete recovery

Looks like old age has caught up with me. I just got over a hernia operation and now need eye surgery.

I'm almost ready to say "F" it and let the clock run out. why fight the unbeatable foe?

so discouraged.

Gule, I had retina eye surgery several years ago.....I woke up during the surgery and I started talking to them...They stopped talking/working on my eye and they had a little panic...They tried to put me back under, it didn't work...I stayed awake while they did the rest of the eye surgery....Moral of story...Make sure they give you plenty of knock out juice....

Here's the good news Gule....After the eye surgery, they then did lazer eye surgery too...My vision is as good, or better, than most young people now....Don't need glasses, or any visual aids.... It's better than 20/20.....It's almost like Superman.... I kid you not.

So don't give up and be a p###y....You can do it....It's an inconvenience, and nothing more. You will heal very fast my friend....

tenor.gif

My system has always been difficult to numb....Even the dentist can't believe I feel the drill, but I do.
QpQQ.gif

Reactions: volnationnj
Looks like old age has caught up with me. I just got over a hernia operation and now need eye surgery.

I'm almost ready to say "F" it and let the clock run out. why fight the unbeatable foe?

so discouraged.

Without knowing what kind of eye surgery you're facing, I will tell you that my Dad had cataract surgery in his mid-80's. No ill effects and an almost immediate recovery. And excellent results. Don't give up, and make them eventually drag you out kicking and screaming!

Jim

so discouraged.

I’m actually an ophthalmologist in real life. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Reactions: krichunaka and Lucy

VN Store

Back