Post on A&M paying players

Endowments are not used to play players. Endowments are subject to specific restrictions (Federal and State laws) . Texas has the 2nd largest endowment in the U.S. Here's an article on how it's set up and used.

UT now has the second largest endowment in the country. What does that mean?

Come on people - a little common sense - I never said that the endowment had anything directly to do with NIL and football recruiting - what I have said is that there could easily be a correlation between the size of endowment - and thus the size of the donor base and the number of wealthy families giving to a particular school's endowment and someone being able to convince that same donor base and those same wealthy families into giving to basically a NIL fund and/or shell corporation or non profit.

It is already being done somehow at Texas, Texas A amd M and Miami - all of which had unusually successful recruiting results this year.

Work with me.

It is already being done somehow at Texas, Texas A amd M and Miami - all of which had unusually successful recruiting results this year.

Work with me.

Those teams should have successful recruiting classes based on geography and state talent. Coaches at Miami should sleep in their own bed each night because of the talent in South Florida.

Am I supposed to be upset with A&M?
Because I’m not, I’m actually really jealous!
Am I in the minority here?
I don’t like the whole “NIL” deal, but if we’re gonna do it, I would want my program going all in!
GBO!!

SO as a CFB fan you ARE NOT upset that another school with incredibly deep pockets can take "buy" any athlete they want while other schools without much $$$$ cannot begin to compete for that same player?

NIL is the devil. This is nothing but pay for play now boys.

Am I supposed to be upset with A&M?
Because I’m not, I’m actually really jealous!
Am I in the minority here?
I don’t like the whole “NIL” deal, but if we’re gonna do it, I would want my program going all in!
GBO!!
I agree 100% if the roles were reversed no Vol fans would be upset. #1 recruiting class, 6 Five Star recruits and what may be one of the best classes in recruiting history

It's BRILLIANT on A&M's part. They were smart enough to jump way out ahead of this thing and now they are reaping rewards. NIL deals will be structured accordingly with injury clauses, tranfer clauses, etc. It's free agency for HS players. The blame for this nonsense is NOT A&M... It's on the AD's and Presidents across the country that allowed this to happen. If there aren't SERIOUS regulations soon... NCAA football as we know it will die. There will be 10-12 schools that will be "Farm Teams". TBH... I HOPE UT is NOT one of them. Maybe this is the precursor to a REAL farm system for the NFL that will get all the "me" and "non students" out of college for good!!

Between Charlie Ergen and the Haslam family there is in the ballpark of 24 billion dollars of net worth. If they started an LLC and put 500 million each into the bank the LLC would earn conservatively 1.5% interest. That would be 15 million dollars a year to sign NIL deals and it never eats into the principal money. This is just using 2 donors. Tennessee boosters can in fact match basically any team in NIL deals if they desire.

Reactions: LittleVol
Those teams should have successful recruiting classes based on geography and state talent. Coaches at Miami should sleep in their own bed each night because of the talent in South Florida.

So now they are in talent rich areas and are also paying more than anyone else to get guys to go to school there and play. Seems a recipe for success doesn't it.

Between Charlie Ergen and the Haslam family there is in the ballpark of 24 billion dollars of net worth. If they started an LLC and put 500 million each into the bank the LLC would earn conservatively 1.5% interest. That would be 15 million dollars a year to sign NIL deals and it never eats into the principal money. This is just using 2 donors. Tennessee boosters can in fact match basically any team in NIL deals if they desire.

It's BRILLIANT on A&M's part. They were smart enough to jump way out ahead of this thing and now they are reaping rewards. NIL deals will be structured accordingly with injury clauses, tranfer clauses, etc. It's free agency for HS players. The blame for this nonsense is NOT A&M... It's on the AD's and Presidents across the country that allowed this to happen. If there aren't SERIOUS regulations soon... NCAA football as we know it will die. There will be 10-12 schools that will be "Farm Teams". TBH... I HOPE UT is NOT one of them. Maybe this is the precursor to a REAL farm system for the NFL that will get all the "me" and "non students" out of college for good!!

If you have played any sports at all - an even playing field is really all you ever ask for. If you are willing to give your all for Tennessee or Coastal Carolina or whomever, you want to know that you and your opponent have a fairly equal chance, playing on the same sized field, court, etc.

Reactions: LittleVol and CSVol
I thought there was a rule against structuring deals to make it dependent on playing for a certain school?

To my knowledge Charlie hasn't donated a large amount of money to UT - and Jimmy spends most of his time and energy largely on the Browns. People are very quick to donate others money to a cause and not so quick to donate their own.

If you have played any sports at all - an even playing field is really all you ever ask for. If you are willing to give your all for Tennessee or Coastal Carolina or whomever, you want to know that you and your opponent have a fairly equal chance, playing on the same sized field, court, etc.
I guess we can all move to Utopia and have everything just the way we want it. I played for 13 years and played multiple sports. You are suggesting everyone should be given the same success regardless of investment. No offense but that is nonsense. Does a school that invests little in sports facilities and training facilities deserve the same athletes as schools who invest heavily? No, they don't. Like it or not players are getting paid now and schools either jump on board or get left behind.

I guess we can all move to Utopia and have everything just the way we want it. I played for 13 years and played multiple sports. You are suggesting everyone should be given the same success regardless of investment. No offense but that is nonsense. Does a school that invests little in sports facilities and training facilities deserve the same athletes as schools who invest heavily? No, they don't. Like it or not players are getting paid now and schools either jump on board or get left behind.
As long as we are moving to Utopia - why don't you just donate your $1B into our NIL non profit and our problems are solved. You do know that "schools" can't jump on board, in fact it is completely impermissible for them to have any involvement in NIL.

What is it that you coach? - if you don't mind my asking.

It's not allowable. They can't premise NIL deals on performance.

That's why it'll be interesting to see how they deal with the busts if there are multi-year NIL deals.

Thanks for the response and clarification. Maybe that will help curtail the potential for a bidding war . . . although, this whole thing pivots on emotionally charged decision making.

To my knowledge Charlie hasn't donated a large amount of money to UT - and Jimmy spends most of his time and energy largely on the Browns. People are very quick to donate others money to a cause and not so quick to donate their own.
Nobody is donating anothers money. I simply stated it can be done and UT boosters have the money to do so if they desire. Do you also believe none of us donate?

As long as we are moving to Utopia - why don't you just donate your $1B into our NIL non profit and our problems are solved. You do know that "schools" can't jump on board, in fact it is completely impermissible for them to have any involvement in NIL.

What is it that you coach? - if you don't mind my asking.
You must be high if you don't believe boosters talk to athletic departments. We get it, you want equality and fairy dust and everyone to get a trophy.

Those Alabama charger photos were photoshops as I recall and cash has always been untraceable, OP is talking about contracts and LLC's, which lead to tax returns, there's a paper trail there.
I know what you're saying and I'm just being a bit sarcastic. College football is basically the only sport I watch now and I'm getting to where I don't want to watch it anymore.

I swear, give humans enough time and they will f*** up anything.....

It's illegal to condition an NIL to committing to or remaining at a certain school, so the second part about them not entering the Portal is either blatantly illegal or untrue. More likely it's not true, it seems more like an envious sour grapes fantasy by an OU fan.

Couldn't the contract simply be written that the "donor" could cancel the contract at any time for any reason? They wouldn't have to actually state the reason. The term "at will" comes to mind.

Reactions: CSVol and KptVFL
You must be high if you don't believe boosters talk to athletic departments. We get it, you want equality and fairy dust and everyone to get a trophy.

Notice that you dodged the what do you coach question. I do want equality, will take all the fairy dust I can get and have never cared about trophies. I don't like it when Alabama, or Georgia, or Tennessee recruits illegally.
In Utopia where I live, all the coaches are like Coach Barnes and none of them are like Coach Pearl. :)

So now they are in talent rich areas and are also paying more than anyone else to get guys to go to school there and play. Seems a recipe for success doesn't it.
Miami-Dade and Broward County have always been talent rich. Lee County across to Palm Beach County south is where 90% of team should come from.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Unintended consequences of this NIL are going to be a wild ride. What's the difference between the NFL and college football? The NFL at least has a salary cap. And the crappy teams get first pick at the players. Here, the best teams get the best players and the best teams have the most money to dole out. What could go wrong?

I'm looking for business partners to start a new recruiting website that basically just auctions off high school players to the highest collegiate bidder.

If there's only one CFB team in town, I think you'd still be going to jail on that one, you just might have the bonus of having your lawyer as a cellmate. The success of such transparent fraud is largely limited to TV, it tends to piss off judges and juries more than simply breaking the law. Everybody hates a cheat.

Probably couldn’t do that, but I could see a local restaurant or business writing in that the athlete must make x number of in-person promotional appearances at the establishment per year. Autograph signings and the like.

Reactions: kcvols1
Notice that you dodged the what do you coach question. I do want equality, will take all the fairy dust I can get and have never cared about trophies. I don't like it when Alabama, or Georgia, or Tennessee recruits illegally.
In Utopia where I live, all the coaches are like Coach Barnes and none of them are like Coach Pearl. :)
I didn't dodge anything. The fact that I coached football has nothing to do with this. Trophies come with championships and if you do not care about championships why are you even a sports fan?

Yea..... and until recently it used to be illegal to openly pay college athletes so we know that didn't happen... am I right?
Ask Jeremy Pruitt. I think he was secretly getting the senior discount at McDonalds. And, who was it that he coached under before coming to Tennessee? Hmm..maybe he learned a few tricks, other than how to coach football

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back