Post on A&M paying players

my grandmother used to say : so and so has more money than Croesus.....ain't heard that in a while.

Back in the day, that expression was the paradigm for ultimate riches.
Just doing my part to bring it back into fashion.
Sometimes the old sayings are the best.
Most folks nowadays have no idea who Croesus was.

Reactions: Samthebam
I’ve tried to explain the issue here but most don’t want to believe it. They can live it instead.

Reactions: CSVol
It's illegal to condition an NIL to committing to or remaining at a certain school, so the second part about them not entering the Portal is either blatantly illegal or untrue. More likely it's not true, it seems more like an envious sour grapes fantasy by an OU fan.

What if doesn't say anything about being at a certain school but is contingent on living in a certain area? Like the town the school is located in. Tons of potential loopholes to make it work.

Reactions: Wireless1
Unintended consequences of this NIL are going to be a wild ride. What's the difference between the NFL and college football? The NFL at least has a salary cap. And the crappy teams get first pick at the players. Here, the best teams get the best players and the best teams have the most money to dole out. What could go wrong?

A&M & Texas figured it out very quickly. In recruiting its going to be about promised money. The smart schools will incentivize players to stay longer by negotiating multi year deals or offer targeted units (OL, DB,LB, etc) sweeter deals based on need. Or if you're filthy rich like Texas you can offer lucrative deals to position groups at will. Soon we will start seeing bidding wars, especially for high profile players in the portal. Recruiting in CFB has changed immensely and if you're not willing to invest then you will set your program back.

I think it'll be fun to watch a team like SMU over the next decade. They could become a force.

Most of the SEC schools are not in the same ball part as Texas and Texas A M with regard to resources to buy players.

Texas has the most money in the SEC in their endowment and Texas A M the second most. It's not even close. The same families that give to the endowment can easily give to the charities running the NIL.

Be prepared to always be behind those schools for talent.

Approximate endowment:
Texas 30.9 B
Texas AM 13.59 B
Florida 1.85 B
Tenn and most others come in around 1.2 - 1.5 B

Notre Dame, Standford, Duke, Southern Cal also way up there.

I am going to say that this is exactly what A M did.

Well I guess Harvard with and endowment of 53 Billion dollars will be the next target of Gregg Stankey.

There is a reason that A M had the number 1 recruiting class above Alabama this year. Alabama racks it in on tv games etc. but their NIL donors can match up with us - but not the Texas schools.
Bama actually has a higher average per recruit. A&M is only ahead cause they've signed more. Ohio st is right there with them they just haven't signed as many

Am I supposed to be upset with A&M?
Because I’m not, I’m actually really jealous!
Am I in the minority here?
I don’t like the whole “NIL” deal, but if we’re gonna do it, I would want my program going all in!
GBO!!
Yes, but does your program want to go all in? That is going to be the debate of college administrators whose main focus is education. Some will consider pushing athletics out to a farm league and concentrating their resources on education.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
My only skepticism would be the dollar amount. But honestly, I have no clue what the players are getting paid; just seems like $1 - 1.2 mil average is pretty high, but who knows.

The one interesting angle here --- with multi-year deals, they could end up being stuck with some of the busts. Normally these top programs try to push out some of the busts, but if they are getting paid, they may not be so eager to leave.
FBI wiretaps had Creighton paying $100,000 for a basketball player. That's Creighton. And basketball.

FBI wiretaps had Creighton paying $100,000 for a basketball player. That's Creighton. And basketball.
FBI wiretaps had an asst coach taking 6,000 dollars in undercover money. It was a sports agent who told his dad he could get his son 100k if going to Creighton. (according to his dad). The son didnt sign with Creighton and never got a penny from Creighton. I think he signed with Louisville? And then there's a possibility his dad was trying to get a little money? He also said he was told his son could 150k to go to AZ St.

FBI wiretaps had an asst coach taking 6,000 dollars in undercover money. It was a sports agent who told his dad he could get his son 100k if going to Creighton. (according to his dad). The son didnt sign with Creighton and never got a penny from Creighton. I think he signed with Louisville? And then there's a possibility his dad was trying to get a little money? He also said he was told his son could 150k to go to AZ St.
You are correct

Well, those two schools' not for profit NIL programs are offering $250,000 + deals to 10 linemen. Get back to me when we start doing that would you. With our Petro's and Calhoun's bbq - and - the Sunsphere resources.

The point is we don't have a rich and extensive donor base to compete with some of these schools. Texas and Texas A and M were the most blatant examples this past recruiting cycle. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Southern Cal may copy A and M's formula next year.
I know this is not how it was designed or how it was supposed to work - but this is how it is currently working.
What are the companies offering the 250K? Surely you have the names?

VN Store

Back