Post on A&M paying players

My only skepticism would be the dollar amount. But honestly, I have no clue what the players are getting paid; just seems like $1 - 1.2 mil average is pretty high, but who knows.

The one interesting angle here --- with multi-year deals, they could end up being stuck with some of the busts. Normally these top programs try to push out some of the busts, but if they are getting paid, they may not be so eager to leave.

Most of the SEC schools are not in the same ball part as Texas and Texas A M with regard to resources to buy players.

Texas has the most money in the SEC in their endowment and Texas A M the second most. It's not even close. The same families that give to the endowment can easily give to the charities running the NIL.

Be prepared to always be behind those schools for talent.

Approximate endowment:
Texas 30.9 B
Texas AM 13.59 B
Florida 1.85 B
Tenn and most others come in around 1.2 - 1.5 B

Notre Dame, Standford, Duke, Southern Cal also way up there.

I am going to say that this is exactly what A M did.

Most of the SEC schools are not in the same ball part as Texas and Texas A M with regard to resources to buy players.

Texas has the most money in the SEC in their endowment and Texas A M the second most. It's not even close. The same families that give to the endowment can easily give to the charities running the NIL.

Approximate endowment:
Texas 30.9 B
Texas AM 13.59 B
Florida 1.85 B

And where does that put the big boys like Alabama or Georgia? If Money becomes the main driver, Alabama may be short lived at the top if not closer to that top number (and Duke may be imporving).

Texas AM doubled our Nolan offer. If he stays for three years, he’ll make well over 1 mil

And where does that put the big boys like Alabama or Georgia? If Money becomes the main driver, Alabama may be short lived at the top if not closer to that top number (and Duke may be imporving).
Harvard has more money than God in endowment.

Perhaps we come full circle and the programs which originated the sport soon dominate.

Approximate endowment:
Texas 30.9 B
Texas AM 13.59 B
Florida 1.85 B

Not sure the NIL deals are going to necessarily follow the school endowment funding. If it does, then we need to be prepared to see a resurgence of Ivy League champions.

There is a reason that A M had the number 1 recruiting class above Alabama this year. Alabama racks it in on tv games etc. but their NIL donors can match up with us - but not the Texas schools.

Not sure the NIL deals are going to necessarily follow the school endowment funding. If it does, then we need to be prepared to see a resurgence of Ivy League champions.

There have been 50 - 100 years of oil money enriching the endowments of the Texas schools. Texas and Texas A M are two of the first schools offering big money NIL deals. The point continues to be - that it is not going to be easy to compete with these guys.

Reactions: CSVol and OllVol
My only skepticism would be the dollar amount. But honestly, I have no clue what the players are getting paid; just seems like $1 - 1.2 mil average is pretty high, but who knows.

The one interesting angle here --- with multi-year deals, they could end up being stuck with some of the busts. Normally these top programs try to push out some of the busts, but if they are getting paid, they may not be so eager to leave.

I'm not a lawyer and I have no insight or knowledge regarding the legalities and boundaries of NIL. However, if allowable, they'll just write the agreement contingent upon performance. That way they can wash the "duds" out of the respective program.

Welcome to the minor leagues, which used to be known as college football.

At this point good for them. I 100% believe Tennessee should start cutting checks to players. If the NCAA tries to do something then you have a perfect set up to take this to court and end this whole charade over “amateur athletes”

Last edited:
I take everything on the web with a grain of salt. This is pretty good tho. Enjoy
Am I supposed to be upset with A&M?
Because I’m not, I’m actually really jealous!
Am I in the minority here?
I don’t like the whole “NIL” deal, but if we’re gonna do it, I would want my program going all in!
GBO!!

Approximate endowment:
Texas 30.9 B
Texas AM 13.59 B
Florida 1.85 B

This is very misleading, though. First, a large university endowment does not necessarily mean there will be people throwing money at fooball. Harvard has the largest endowment and I doubt much of that is going to flow through to football.

The other thing here is that the reason Texas' endowment is so large is due to mineral rights in the Permian Basin. A&M's endowment also collects royalties off of mineral rights. So the size of their endowments isn't necessarily related to their donor base.

At this point good for them. I 100% believe Tennessee should start cutting checks for players. If the NCAA tries to do something then you have a perfect set up to take this to court and end this whole charade over “amateur athletes”
That will certainly get us some favorable officiating from the league office...
😉
GBO!!

This is very misleading, though. First, a large university endowment does not necessarily mean there will be people throwing money at fooball. Harvard has the largest endowment and I doubt much of that is going to flow through to football.

The other thing here is that the reason Texas' endowment is so large is due to mineral rights in the Permian Basin. A&M's endowment also collects royalties off of mineral rights. So the size of their endowments isn't necessarily related to their donor base.
Football?! Harvard has probably been giving future mathematicians, doctors, nuclear physicists, “NIL” deals for years!
GBO!!

There have been 50 - 100 years of oil money enriching the endowments of the Texas schools. Texas and Texas A M are two of the first schools offering big money NIL deals. The point continues to be - that it is not going to be easy to compete with these guys.
I agree with TX and the Aggies benefitting from NIL deals as they have been paying players for a long time and it is now easier to do so. My point was that not all big endowment schools will be in the big NIL business.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
It's illegal to condition an NIL to committing to or remaining at a certain school, so the second part about them not entering the Portal is either blatantly illegal or untrue. More likely it's not true, it seems more like an envious sour grapes fantasy by an OU fan.

Who is to say these rich and powerful people didn’t influence the NIL decision? Some of the things going down last couple years were all about power, control, and money. Politics, money, and sports equal power and control. If you can’t see the hypocrisy of folks saying one thing and doing the other….I’ve got some ocean front property in Franklin County for sale.

Reactions: feathersax

This is not very misleading, though. First, a large university endowment does not necessarily mean there will be people throwing money at fooball. We established that up above. Harvard has the largest endowment and I doubt much of that is going to flow through to football.

Well, those two schools' not for profit NIL programs are offering $250,000 + deals to 10 linemen. Get back to me when we start doing that would you. With our Petro's and Calhoun's bbq - and - the Sunsphere resources.

The point is we don't have a rich and extensive donor base to compete with some of these schools. Texas and Texas A and M were the most blatant examples this past recruiting cycle. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Southern Cal may copy A and M's formula next year.
I know this is not how it was designed or how it was supposed to work - but this is how it is currently working.

VN Store

Back