Post game controversy

Both teams have a long way to go... Too many turnovers by a lot of young players. Both teams will improve steadily as the season goes along. It will be interesting to see how well the coaching staffs preform. For the Vols, it was pointed out that half court offense was lacking. (didn't take an expert to see it, not much organization and execution) We know what McGraw and company can do. It will give us a measuring stick for Coach K and staff to measure too. I hope we don't get too "head up" for this team as the SEC is going to be an even worse mine field than usual this year. I do like the attitude and enthusiasm the lady showed which was much improved over the last couple of years.
Basically, what I think. Note that ND apparently had just 5 scholarship players last night. However, the LV's showed encouraging signs.

Never seen so many short little white girls.

When they showed the Notre Dame bench, I thought they were selling Girl Scout cookies over there.
Looked like one of Tennessee’s single A HS teams! Just not as good!

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Yes, Stanford was 18 and the LVs were 7 when they beat them at Stanford in Dec. 2017

And they beat number 4 South Carolina at Columbia, SC in Jan 2017

And won on the road against #7 Oregon Dec. 19, 2015

That mistake was really an odd one for ESPN to make.

It’s easy to tell which fans actually follow the team and which ones just happened to turn on the TV on Monday night. Anywho, welcome to all.

Oh boo hoo hoo. Screw ND.
Win the game next time.

Oh my goodness. I mean, the Notre Dame players and staff showed zero saltiness during a game that very well could have brought out some real nastiness if they were the type of people inclined to be like that.

But even though they got blocked 10 times and were taking a rare loss on their home court, they never lashed out. No, we’ve got Mizzou to look forward to doing THOSE kinds of shenanigans.

ND was a good host.

Oh my goodness. I mean, the Notre Dame players and staff showed zero saltiness during a game that very well could have brought out some real nastiness if they were the type of people inclined to be like that.

But even though they got blocked 10 times and were taking a rare loss on their home court, they never lashed out. No, we’ve got Mizzou to look forward to doing THOSE kinds of shenanigans.

ND was a good host.

They always have been, to us at least.

Reactions: lvocd
They always have been, to us at least.
Yes, they have. And I guarantee you that Muffet McGraw, while disappointed that her team lost, is a little bit proud of the job that Kellie Harper is doing. Like Pat was, Coach McGraw is an advocate for strong female leadership, so I imagine she is happy for Kellie.

The LadyVols will be better than everyone thinks while Notre Dame will struggle to make the NCAA Tournament and could slip into the WNIT

No, they will be fine. Maybe not a Top 16 seed, but they will be in the NCAAT...especially when they get Vaughn back.

I agree. I've seen Sam Brunelle play in USA basketball and she is better than shown in our game. I thought she was pressing too much. Maybe because Vaughn was out and she felt the load was on her shoulders. Muffet will get that under control.

The thing is, even with the win, the Tennessee coaching staff got a lot of good film, in my opinion, revealing weaknesses and areas to work on. Ball handling and passing will get better as the season progresses. Jordan Horston will learn not to dribble into a double team and, Hopefully, Rae Burrell will learn to harness that energy and play a little more under control. When she does, she has the capability of being a special player, in my opinion!

Jim

Neither team should've been ranked IMO, but ND was ranked solely on their recent success. It's clear they're a mess right now, which was expected given what they lost, but I was surprised that they were ranked #15 coming into the season given what they lost with no real proven players coming back this season. It's clear that not only has their experience level taken a hit this year, but their talent level has taken a hit, as well.

Concerning the (non)controversy, I don't think it was much to get up in arms about either way. There's no telling how many times that's happened on the road and we don't know about it. Concerning a handshake, it looked like a normal Muffet handshake to me. A normal handshake and a normal "good job". Muffet is a pretty stoic coach and I like that about her (she reminds me of Tara Vanderveer in that regard), and she isn't one to take a lot of time to exchange pleasantries in the handshake line. There was nothing out of the ordinary to me.

VN Store

Back