Poll: What’s everyone’s take on the hire. Are you

Are you on the Josh Heupel train or not?

• Yes

Votes: 461 77.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 22.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not voting as it's not that cut and dry or black and white for me. I support Coach Heupel and he has my fervent desire that he succeeds. That said I do not see him especially having the resume much different than others who have shown up in recent memory on The Hill and been complete failures. Expectations of future performance are rooted in the history of previous experiences, i.e. he fails and it becomes obvious he fails in 3 years. This time I expect IMO what was a lazy effort by our new AD to have him exit with Heupel if and when the time comes. What I hope I see is a good fundamentally sound football team that goes out and wins the games we're supposed to and becomes a credible option for winning the SEC East by year 3. What I believe I will see is a football team that will bring in players that are not SEC caliber and will be out manned week in and week out and the fan base will be blamed for "the troubles at Tennessee where expectations are too high." If Tennessee is to be forever mired in mediocrity in football as our rightful place, then the university needs to leave the SEC and compete in a conference less competitive where it won't be mediocre.

Reactions: sona
I will do as I always have. I will completely support the current coaching staff of Tennessee until they give a reason that they no longer deserve the support.

Reactions: Alto1
We ALL live in a Clown World right now...

NOTHING "shocks" or "surprises" me anymore...

After living through the Herman era in Texas, I am not on the train for any G5 coach moving up to the big leagues until I see that they can hire a staff the actually is a true SEC level coaching staff. Maybe I am jaded, but I am seriously concerned that he will not have the contacts to bring in a staff that is needed, especially on defense, to both coach and recruit at a high level.

Yes, I would rather watch and root for UT with Heupel next year, not knowing if he will be successful but hopefully, than watching Pruitt, already knowing it was over. No contest. Like the last year with Jones, I knew it was over the year before right after the USC game, but had to wait a year for the fallout. I’ve seen UF pull the trigger much faster, but not UT. I thought we would have to wait another year through Pruitt, not knowing if I could stomach it.

Reactions: JVol76V2
Not if we give up 43!
We had a DEFENSIVE GURU and did that. Doesn’t matter if we give up 3 points or 63 points....all that matters is we have 1 more point than the other team when the clock strikes 00:00 at the end of the 4th quarter. The last staff would have never had us in a position to be able to do that. This guy’s track record proves he can do that. Hell he put up 32 points in just under 15 minutes time of possession against LSU’s 12th ranked total defense...with all those 4-5*s. Just gotta get a sound defensive staff here. That has been his Achilles Heel so far.

Last edited:
We had a DEFENSIVE GURU and did that. Doesn’t matter if we give up 3 points or 63 points....all that matters is we have 1 more point than the other team when the clock strikes 00:00 at the end of the 4th quarter. The last staff would have never had us in a position to be able to do that. This guy’s track record proves he can do that. Hell he put up 32 points in just under 15 minutes time of possession against LSU’s 12th ranked total defense...with all those 4-5*s. Just gotta get a sound defensive staff here. That has been his Achilles Heel so far.
You are correct!

we give up 43 anyway, who cares

Every team with a decent passing game has annihilated us for the past 3 years. Doesn't really matter, we need to score score score
That said, there was no excuse for a “defensive guru” allowing team after team to shred us with the same stupid slant play week in and week out. We couldn’t even slow it down, much less stop it.

Reactions: Steve_Smith89
Yeah, I am on board. Will still be turning games off once a certain word is said by an official, but I will give the guy a fair shake.

I was on the Lane Train, Dooley Train, Butch Train, and Pruitt Train. This Train is going to have to show me something before I get fooled again.
i might be a nega put im pulling for the Vols. I have NO faith in the administration but I will not pull against the VOLS.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Head coaches making the jump from AAC to Power-5 historically have not done well.

I’m always on the train. They made a move. That’s what we asked for. Now we need to support it until it becomes obvious he can’t get it done. Which usually happens in year 3ish.

You can’t really judge a train ride until you get on. So I’ll get on and see how the ride goes. If I don’t like it, I’ll get off.

Win With Less <
@ Tennessee
Come be a part of Something, make you’re mama proud, just do it!

VN Store

Back