Poll: What’s everyone’s take on the hire. Are you

Are you on the Josh Heupel train or not?

• Yes

Votes: 461 77.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 22.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would I get on a train without knowing the direction - much less the destination- to which that train is heading.

Reactions: QCD61
Not sure I'd want to join in on the "Josh Heupul train" ..ain't my speed..but he has a winning record as a HC which is more than we can say than 75% of the last 4 hires. Looking forward to a more productive offense. The key will be getting that defense in check.

Not sure I'd want to join in on the "Josh Heupul train" ..ain't my speed..but he has a winning record as a HC which is more than we can say than 75% of the last 4 hires. Looking forward to a more productive offense. The key will be getting that defense in check.

Odd note, pretty sure I went to school with this dude when I was a kid.

When you use analogies, like boarding trains and such, it becomes really important to clarify their meaning.

-- If being "on the Josh Heupel train" means being an unwavering Tennessee Vols fan and hoping that JH does an excellent job, I think you'd have at or near 100% of us on board.

-- If being on board means thinking Josh Heupel is the man to bring us back to championship football, I think you'd have more Vols fans who can't board yet, need to see some proof first. And you'd start to see 'no' answers.

-- If being on board means that we're married to CJH, I think you'd have far fewer answering yes. We're married to Tennessee football, not any single coach.* You'd get a significant percentage of 'no' responses here.

So it really depends on what you mean. I was optimistic and assumed you meant the first, so I picked "Yes." Looks like others have interpreted the question differently.

Go Vols!

* This doesn't mean Josh can't become a Vols legend that we revere for the rest of our lives. General Neyland did that. Josh can too. But that level of support for the man won't come until he brings the program glory.

I really want to see who the DC hire is. That will tell me quite a bit, but if it's the DC from UCF, I can't tell you that I will do anything but maybe lose confidence in this hire.

Lets be careful not to coach worship.....but I am excited for this guy to get some points on the board.

Until he coaches 2 seasons we won't know what he's capable of. Until then, negativity and positivity are wasted emotions. Enjoy the highs and don't fret the lows.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'm on the train, but I may curse the entire time. :p

Coach worship is stupid.

I feel about the same way I did when Butch and Pruitt were hired. I see some positives which give me hope it will work out. Won’t know until we start seeing how his teams play.

Reactions: sona and jonnon111
I'm behind it.
I knew we would hire somebody I'd have to Google. I expected us to just not field a team, that made set the bar low enough UT could meet it.

There are no sure fire hires. Some have better chances than others but all you have to do is look at Harbaugh at Michigan to see nothing is a guarantee. He certainly hasn't brought the championship they were expecting. Heupel wasn't one of my top choices but he may end up being a better hire than one of my choices. I will support him until he gives me a good reason not to. I know it will take time to compete for championships but I want to see steady progress. When I take a closer look at his record at UCF, I'm not too concerned. He lost his starting qb in year two and played a freshman and had ten players opt out this past year, which would be difficult for most teams to deal with. We'll see how he does but right now I'm cautiously optimistic about the hire.

on the train or waiting until it picks on momentum on the track? Personally I’m on the train. I’m not buying the doom and gloom because he wasn’t one of the few sexy hires everyone wanted to include me. His offenses have been very productive everywhere he’s been.

I've posted this before, here's my hope: JH has a history and reputation of developing QBs. In today's game, great QB play may be more important than ever. Great players want to play with great QBs. If we can get really good at that position starting next season, who knows what might happen record wise? As many have mentioned on here, the DC hire is HUGE with the S&C coach a close second.

VN Store

Back