Players Leaving

I don't remember exactly what year I began following the Lady Vols, but the coach's name was Pat Head.

Besides Tennessee, I've lived in only one other sports community. We moved to New Orleans the same time Jim Mora moved there to coach the Saints. Their fanbase began to learn that realism & optimism could coexist. Grocery bags reverted back from apparel to logistical. Monks stopped wearing Saints jerseys as cilices of mortification and penance.

Fans still critiqued their losses, mistakes, and slump seasons, but the critical attitude was more of "we've improved this, now if we can just improve that, too..." In other words, theirs was an attitude of ascent. How much higher can we finish in the division next season? Their first step was to beat the perennial division champs, the Montana-led 49ers. Then, to beat them twice. Then, win a playoff game. And eventually some fans began to envision the ultimate dream of a Super Bowl championship.

All of that bayou history to say this:
The only Lady Vols fans I "know" now are from Volnation. But I can seldom stand to read more than a few posts each day. The pessimists and incessant criticizers are the loudest voices in text. To my ears, they are shrill, demanding, dehumanizing, but most of all--and unaceptably--ENTITLED.

Many of the voices here remind me of the institutionalized drug addicts I once worked with--cursing reality and unwilling to accept and re-engage normalcy. Rather, they were locked-in on re-experiencing that last, best high they remembered. The hardest part about getting them beyond that stage was that their constant outbursts of anger were actually pumping more drugs (catecholamines and adrenaline) into their brains. These poor people were caught in a loop of barely sustaining, but never satisfying, anger and resentment.

Please, fellow LV fans, accept that we now live again in "Coach Head" times. Era 2: Season 1 is in the books. Era 1 only exists on DVD.

This is a new journey, and we've only hiked to the foot of this new mountain. There is no "re-" anything for the LV program. There is no carry-over of energy, skill, or magic from decades past, either on the court or in the jerseys. For today's players, the LV history that's so fresh and rousing in our memories, is a burden, a weight, something to be overcome rather than inspire. Today, those banners which provoke glorious memories for us, might as well be made of cast lead for them.

These girls are humans, not trading cards. They are not stats--and if the game was determined by stats, no one would want to watch it. It's the human factor--the will to tighten up defense, to force turnovers, get rebounds and 50/50 balls, to not accept defeat after a terrible first half--that's what attracts fans to any sport.

Women's sports will only attract a limited number of fans. Which makes it even more important that your small fanbase be a warm, generous, supportive family... eager to "adopt" (and accept--the person, if not their choices) each new young lady who shows up to play for your team.

If you've lost that family aspect, if you are only an LV fan because you're determined to re-experience those highs you remember... I'm sorry, but, go away. You are no longer supporting the team, players, or program. You're only supporting your habit.

The only problem here, Bruiser, is that the pessimistic posters are the loudest posters.
The "oil" for the squeak will be as usual, in wins

Reactions: Cormock Mac
Mercy....
3845480720_c7cd5e324e_b.jpg

grrrr,,,,theres just no Justice,,,David that is

Exactly

Players that every college in the US would gladly take.
Players who read this crap and go to their dorm rooms and wonder why they are here.
Players whose parents read this crap and wonder if the fanbase of this university appreciates their kids.
Players who put 12 hour days into their efforts to improve.
Players who are now leaving : one with reason and one seemingly "without reason"
Players who are possibly leaving this program bc of the bashing they are getting on sites like this one.
Players have committed four years of their life to represent a fanbase that outspokenly disapproves of their lifestyle choices.
Players who have been loved by HS fans and coveted by many universities and now have to read this drivel...
Players who see that they are devalued by posters who think of them as plug-n-play commodities
Players who should be appreciated!

Players read this crap, people,, and so do Moms and Dads.

Many of you work 8 hours a day then go home to watch tv. . . I listened to a podcast of one of our players (Jordan) on Spotify and they asked her of an average day. She said she gets early (earlier in the summer) and goes to meetings,, workouts,, practices,, her own after practice workouts,, often skipping meals bc she forgets to eat bc she is so busy. Usually ending her BB day around 6PM

In the podcast she says:...
  • She says..."I don't want nothing give to me I want to work for it"
  • She said she wants a real Coach. She says quote "are you going to coach me or you just going to let me do what I'm going to do" (imagine someone actually wanting to be coached)
  • The thing that she remembers about recruitment is, "the person who recruited you is not the person who's going to coach you"
Lady Vols Freshman Jordan Horston recap of year 1. - BallNGems Got the Hoop Scope

We have commitment from our kids to this extent and all they read is the above.
Posters, all it takes is one demeaning or degrading post to overshadow all the good ones.

An young girl once told me...
"Coach is all you see, what I do wrong,,,you never tell me what I do right"
I showed her this
View attachment 269615
and said what do you see?
She said "one's upside down"
I said, "but 24 are correct...why didn't you notice them?

As djtee said...Careful what you wish for, because you may get it and may already be getting it
I don’t believe Zaay is leaving because of bashing as most thought her lost was the main reason we were not hitting the team’s potential.

Which is nothing about this. Give it up.

She didn't leave because of this message board. Unless you have some real proof of that and not her issue with a facebook page, you should just stop it.

And then you have to think about the character of a player that makes such life changing decisions based on some internet message board comments by some anonymous posters.

I guess if that's the case, wherever she ends up she won't have a problem with message board fan criticism because there aren't many teams that have a fan base and message board like VolNation.

And then you have to think about the character of a player that makes such life changing decisions based on some internet message board comments by some anonymous posters.

I guess if that's the case, wherever she ends up she won't have a problem with message board fan criticism because there aren't many teams that have a fan base and message board like VolNation.

Now, you're onto something

Oh he has threatened more people about getting them banned. Just go back to some lady vol game threads and you will see.

show the posts where I threatened to have some one banned...I want to see them

The closest I came to saying that is when a poster was wanting to get rid of the Lady Vol name...I said you should be banned, No threat. other than that,,no reference.

There is a search button at the top.
If you need instructions let me know

Last edited:
You don't have female children, do you.
Girls are not boys and they react differently to the same phenomenon.
I truly hope you don't coach females.

Stay safe
So true CJ-- I coached boys in a another sport for 17 years and tried a girls team one year- I was lost and not successful for them. Turned it over to someone who knew girls psyche

So true CJ-- I coached boys in a another sport for 17 years and tried a girls team one year- I was lost and not successful for them. Turned it over to someone who knew girls psyche

The differences are there from the gitgo stay with us throughout life.

I remember...My daughter, at four years old....
I walk into her room and say, "Alright kiddo, lets go to the park"
Yippee Daddy!
I go to her drawer and pull out shorts and a t-shirt
she looks at them disapprovingly and points to tee shirt then the shorts and says "That shirt doesn't go with them, Daddy",,,She said it as if I was the only person in the world who didn't know this.

I was stunned
As a boy if Dad took me anywhere, I could be wearing a striped shirt with plaid pants and could care less.

I realized right then...
"There's no such thing as little girls, they are miniature women"

Reactions: Chippo

VN Store

Back