Players Leaving

Note:

I started this thread to see if I could get the real Lady Vol fans to rally and build back up the tear-down what social media has done to our program. And now it is turning into another thread for argument instead of its purpose

You people are causing us to lose athletes because of this negativism.
These kids read this media and they are affected by it.
Kellie can only ask them not to go here, but this is a social media world and you can't get it out from under your kids.

People, you better stop beating up on our players and realize that your posts (and mine!) could be the reason for players like Jazmine's departure.
It is entirely possible.

Worse yet, Jaz is not the player with the most hateful posts against her.
KK, Jordan, Rennia, Rae, Lou, TK, Emily, and Coach K and the rest have all had hateful things said about them.
Does it take losing more players to get through you?

I try to keep my posts constructive and not personal
Will you?

Please?!

Are we really, as a volnation, going to let a handful of posters run off our players or are we going to stand tall and show these kids we appreciate them
Oh , so now the social media has did this to the lady Vols program ? I thought it was the University of Tennessee fault. They are the ones who hired Holly and Kellie and not the fans. They are the ones who went the cheap route and tried to relive Pat through these hires. But you go ahead and do you and blame message boards and social media for the fall of this once proud program. The only people to blame is the University itself and I am sure you will threaten me or some others with banning people with your power trips that think you have on here.

Note:

I started this thread to see if I could get the real Lady Vol fans to rally and build back up the tear-down what social media has done to our program. And now it is turning into another thread for argument instead of its purpose

Kellie can only ask them not to go here, but this is a social media world and you can't get it out from under your kids.

People, you better stop beating up on our players and realize that your posts (and mine!) could be the reason for players like Jazmine's departure.
It is entirely possible.

KK, Jordan, Rennia, Rae, Lou, TK, Emily, and Coach K and the rest have all had hateful things said about them.

Will you?

Please?!

Are we really, as a volnation, going to let a handful of posters run off our players or are we going to stand tall and show these kids we appreciate them
Good post coach J. I have posted about turnovers not maliciously, but out of frustration.However I could see where a player could take e wrong. You have given me food for thought. Not only on this forum but the football one as well.

Interesting thread....
giphy.gif

Reactions: NeedOrange
How about using some of that wealth of wisdom to do some good instead of fighting with me.
I have no problems with people on this board...unless they start sh!t with me. Never really commented on anything you said (I had my opinions, though) until you decided to come after me out of the blue unprovoked. So I figured, I might as well speak freely.

I personally hate this word, but your posts are full of some straight up "mansplaining" and there's just no other way to say it. If you want a more collaborative community, then perhaps dialing back your ego and condescension towards other posters would be a start.

You're schooling me?.."Oh wise sage, embellish me with your wisdom on coaching females"

I never said anything about tough, I tried, though obviously in failing, to let you know that females internalize things said to them differently.

Say to the average boy, "Is that all you've got" and they will bow-up and give you more.
Say to the average female, "is that all you've got" and she will fold-up and give you even less.

Factor in too that if a man says "is that all you've got"
and a female says "is that all you've got" to another female
different results will happen

No this is not true for ALL females, but the vast majority,,,in over 40 years of working exclusively with females I have found these to be truths. But then
images

Wow. As someone who has coached both HS boys and girls, a great group of girls will actually outwork and be more coachable than a group of guys. The biggest difference I have seen in HS athletics is actually how soft the boys have gotten, not the girls. To even imply at all that you have to be gentler with one gender over the other is ludicrous.

Now I will say this; a bad group of girls is way worse than any boys team I have ever dealt with.

Furthermore, the whole "its the fans fault kids are leaving"...that's a convenient excuse. These kids have grown up with the social media and if they haven't figured out to ignore complete strangers, those aren't the type of kids I would want to coach anyway. That shows they aren't mentally tough and if they don't have the emotional maturity to bypass some random comment on the internet, I have zero faith that they will be able to perform with a minute left in a tight ball game. They will even struggle in the offseason. These are 18-22 year olds we are talking about here that have grown up with social media their entire life. So if they still can't handle it, that's a massive red flag and doesn't bode well for them.

Note:

It is entirely possible.

Will you?

Please?!

You can rest assured that if Kellie tells them not to check out Volnation, that's just going to make them determined to see what has been posted. I agree with you, Coach, this site can be very harsh on the players at times. Everyone has an off game from time to time, that's just the nature of athletics.

Wow. As someone who has coached both HS boys and girls, a great group of girls will actually outwork and be more coachable than a group of guys. The biggest difference I have seen in HS athletics is actually how soft the boys have gotten, not the girls. To even imply at all that you have to be gentler with one gender over the other is ludicrous.

Now I will say this; a bad group of girls is way worse than any boys team I have ever dealt with.

Furthermore, the whole "its the fans fault kids are leaving"...that's a convenient excuse. These kids have grown up with the social media and if they haven't figured out to ignore complete strangers, those aren't the type of kids I would want to coach anyway. That shows they aren't mentally tough and if they don't have the emotional maturity to bypass some random comment on the internet, I have zero faith that they will be able to perform with a minute left in a tight ball game. They will even struggle in the offseason. These are 18-22 year olds we are talking about here that have grown up with social media their entire life. So if they still can't handle it, that's a massive red flag and doesn't bode well for them.

Good post. I just want to make one clarification, not directly related to your comment.

Zaay did not transfer because of social media criticism or heckling. It was a disciplinary issue.

Jazz responded to social media speculation after she entered the transfer portal. She was angered by the assumption that she was following her significant other, rather than making her own decision, and she wanted to forcefully correct that misperception.

I don't think there is any evidence that Collins' transfer was driven by negative social media either.

It is possible that social media carping had some role to play in Evina's decision (it sure got her mom out-of-kilter).

However Middleton, Hayes, and Cooper's transfers had to do with internal team conflicts and not anything related to social media per se. (Diamond passing on her final year of eligibility was also related to those conflicts)

So, of all the recent transfers and early departures, only one case may have had some plausible connection to hostile social media.

I am all for the idea that fans should be civil when posting about student-athletes,. It's one thing to say that player X needs to get stronger or develop a more consistent jumper; it is quite another to attack players' character; call them "cancers," insult their appearance and so forth.

But let's not conflate the need for improved social media etiquette with the actual reasons for Jazz and Zaay's transfer requests.

Last edited:
Good post coach J. I have posted about turnovers not maliciously, but out of frustration.However I could see where a player could take e wrong. You have given me food for thought. Not only on this forum but the football one as well.
Chippo, I too can see where coach is coming from. I have coached boys sports for over 20 years, football, baseball, and basketball. Have been a champion many times in football and Basketball, a few time in baseball. The only thing I failed to win championships in was girl basketball. I had some pretty good talent on the teams and I stressed basic fundamentals, but we just couldn't get over the hump. I don't know if it was them or me, because I just didn't have the heart to push and demand what I demanded out of the boys. So I gave up girls basketball a long time ago. My step daughter played for Pat, so I know she had a little more want to. Go Lady Vols!

Coach J, have you ever coached WOMEN? Not girls, but WOMEN? And I don’t mean “mentoring”.

College women are so different then the 12-16 year olds in AAU ball.

These women can handle anything posters on message boards can dish out. It’s pretty insulting to them that what we say would cause them transfer. I find it ridiculous That anyone would think that.

Players today are very social media savvy. I’m sure if they actually read this board, the6 would be laughing at your premise that what we say impacts them.

Maybe, with your vast basketball knowledge you would be better served analyzing the team and who will play the point next year and stop analyzing the posters and this message board.

are you a man who coaches women?

I did say..."No this is not true for ALL females, but the vast majority "

BTW,,,regarding my old tag-line...I haven't said that in a year yet you still quote it to this day so it was very effective
You haven't said it lately because of all the flack you got for constantly posting something so weird. Stalker - ish even.

You ain’t a baller if you worry about the spectators. Winning takes care of a lot. Coach did a good job with what she had. This year’s team played like Rhett Butler , you know, “frankly some didn’t give a damn”. Coach Kellie gonna get it done.

Good post. I just want to make one clarification, not directly related to your comment.

Zaay did not transfer because of social media criticism or heckling. It was a disciplinary issue.

Jazz responded to social media speculation after she entered the transfer portal. She was angered by the assumption that she was following her significant other, rather than making her own decision, and she wanted to forcefully correct that misperception.

I don't think there is any evidence that Collins' transfer was driven by negative social media either.

It is possible that social media carping had some role to play in Evina's decision (it sure got her mom out-of-kilter).

However Middleton, Hayes, and Cooper's transfers had to do with internal team conflicts and not anything related to social media per se. (Diamond passing on her final year of eligibility was also related to those conflicts)

So, of all the recent transfers and early departures, only one case may have had some plausible connection to hostile social media.

I am all for the idea that fans should be civil when posting about student-athletes,. It's one thing to say that player X needs to get stronger or develop a more consistent jumper; it is quite another to attack players' character; call them "cancers," insult their appearance and so forth.

But let's not conflate the need for improved social media etiquette with the actual reasons for Jazz and Zaay's transfer requests.
How behind I am!! I did not know who Jazzs significant other is or that she had one.

You don't have female children, do you.
Girls are not boys and they react differently to the same phenomenon.
I truly hope you don't coach females.

Stay safe
I’ve got two girls and I teach them to have thick skin. And I agree this world is becoming sissified. and for you saying I hope you truly don’t coach girls, why do you only coach girls, because you can’t handle men? I don’t care about arguing with you because we apparently see a lot of things differently. I like most of your posts and agree with you some of the time.

You don't have female children, do you.
Girls are not boys and they react differently to the same phenomenon.
I truly hope you don't coach females.

Stay safe

I have two with only one that plays a sport. I coached her for years officially and then at the house when she moved up. I was hard on her, very hard, and it taught her to have thick skin and take criticism. She was able to sign a scholarship to continue playing in college and I know she will be just fine by herself. She is strong and self assured because I wasn't easy on her.

VN Store

Back