Pick your Poison

If what has been posted is true....that we only remember the losses and not the victories, then Johnny Majors was right. We are the "legions of the miserables".

My opinion is lets see what happens next year with 13 4* players coming on board. It could be that a 6-0 run is the spring-board for the future. 1988 was a pretty miserable year as well. It was a spring-board year for some of the most memorable years in Vol history - 1989, 1990, 1991 (IIRC).

Reactions: Boca Vol
One of the main reasons for that was Carr was in his what, 13th year? A good portion of our dumb fans still talk about the GS loss. And I am sure that same portion will be discussing it in 10 years. But it’s big time dumb.

Instead of focusing on the positives this team accomplished, some will just focus on negative BS. We lost to GS. Big deal. We also made a huge turnaround, got to a bowl game and won. That’s what rational fans should focus on.

I should have been more clear in my post and said "when most colllege football fans think of Michigan's 2007 season...." Michigan fans probably take your view and say, "We started out 0-2 and look how we finished..." which is very similar to UT's season. Opposing fans will always take the negative road. UT fans still mention Saban's 1st team losing to LA Monroe even though they drug UT's last SEC E winning team up and down the field.

What I hope for is the way the Vols finished the season carries over to next season. UIT, under Pruitt, hasn't started the season well in both of his seasons.

I would just prefer a QB who doesn't stare down, telegraph and perhaps send postcards to his intended receiver before sending a high and too far pass that only a high jump champion will catch a sniff of. As a rule I am against drugs for athletes, but maybe Guantánamo could use a reefer to calm that arm down a bit.

Reactions: utvols74
Name the recruits that said that was the reason they chose not to come to UT.
How about you provide me a list of every prospect we didn't get who said that the GSU and BYU losses played no part in their decision making? See how that works.

it went exactly like it was supposed to...kick in the ass...now, we have a coaching staff...:D

How about you provide me a list of every prospect we didn't get who said that the GSU and BYU losses played no part in their decision making? See how that works.
I haven't read of one prospect that said that was why they didn't choose TN.. But I have read of some that said the losses didn't matter.. Whitehaven kids for a example.. Sooo.. Your turn.. Name one..

I don't think it's that dumb. When people mention Michigan's 2007 season the thing that gets mentioned is the loss to App St. Not their 9-4 record and win over UF in the Citrus Bowl.

What doesn't get remembered is the fact that Michigan was rated #5 in the country; also Appy ST was a division II school. Who would have thunk it!

What doesn't get remembered is the fact that Michigan was rated #5 in the country; also Appy ST was a division II school. Who would have thunk it!
That's exactly right. We were coming off of nine wins over two years, and in that period was our worst season ever.

It's not even comparable.

I would just prefer a QB who doesn't stare down, telegraph and perhaps send postcards to his intended receiver before sending a high and too far pass that only a high jump champion will catch a sniff of. As a rule I am against drugs for athletes, but maybe Guantánamo could use a reefer to calm that arm down a bit.

Had to laugh at the brutal honesty of this post. Were this not the case, UT would be 10-3 or even perhaps 11-2 right now. JG needs to seriously consider going to a QB camp this summer and work on moving through his progressions / looking off a DB and not staring down a WR.

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury
Would you have preferred the season to go exactly the way it did, with the VOLS finishing 8-5 (5-3) with a Gator Bowl win,

OR

Win the first two (very winnable) games, finish the regular season 9-3 (5-3), but then lose to a stronger opponent in a bigger bowl game and finish 9-4?

We were fortunate to match up with Indiana. It was a great game against a well coached team. But being a realist, the Tennessee team that took the field last night would not stand much chance against a Michigan or Minnesota team that some folks wanted.
Wha?

Would you have preferred the season to go exactly the way it did, with the VOLS finishing 8-5 (5-3) with a Gator Bowl win,

OR

Win the first two (very winnable) games, finish the regular season 9-3 (5-3), but then lose to a stronger opponent in a bigger bowl game and finish 9-4?

We were fortunate to match up with Indiana. It was a great game against a well coached team. But being a realist, the Tennessee team that took the field last night would not stand much chance against a Michigan or Minnesota team that some folks wanted.
You make a lot of assumptions there. UT should have beaten IU by three scores. It wasn't an even match up. It was the product of poor QB play... which is the exact reason UT lost those first two games and fell to this match up in the first place.

You make a lot of assumptions there. UT should have beaten IU by three scores. It wasn't an even match up. It was the product of poor QB play... which is the exact reason UT lost those first two games and fell to this match up in the first place.

I was suggesting it was a great match up BECAUSE we were so hampered by QB play... all season long. I can't help but think how good we could have been if we had even a Jacob Eason behind center.

Edit: and I say "even a Jacob Eason" because I'm not going to be greedy and say Burrow or Lawrence or Tua or Fields or Herbert.

OR

May have already been mentioned but I don't know that those 2 wins get us a different bowl. Don’t see Wins against BYU or Ga. state bumping someone like auburn or Georgia from their bowl.
with that said I’d rather beat the teams we should’ve beat and see where that takes us.

I get it. I hope down the road this season is an afterthought as there are better things on the horizon.
No way we forget this season. It’s the beginning of the new era. I remember 1992. If nothing else we can use questions about this season to weed out the bandwagon fans that are coming.

No way we forget this season. It’s the beginning of the new era. I remember 1992. If nothing else we can use questions about this season to weed out the bandwagon fans that are coming.
People said the same thing about 2013 and beating Spurrier/ USC. Mediocre seasons get forgotten for a reason. Bandwagon fans? That's the least of UT's problems.

I don't think it's that dumb. When people mention Michigan's 2007 season the thing that gets mentioned is the loss to App St. Not their 9-4 record and win over UF in the Citrus Bowl.
A significant difference. Appy St loss happened when Michigan was seen as a national power and signaled the end of Michigan’s national relevance, it was the beginning of the end. Our loss to Ga St is more like Bama’s loss to Louisiana Monroe at the beginning of their current run. Who remembers it as a stain on Saban’s record?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
People said the same thing about 2013 and beating Spurrier/ USC. Mediocre seasons get forgotten for a reason. Bandwagon fans? That's the least of UT's problems.
They’re forgotten by people who didn’t live them.

I wish that were the case. But it won't be. This team did nothing remarkable this year in the CFB world other than lose to Georgia State. They will have highlights of that game keyed up for major upsets for years to come just like they do with Michigan vs Appy State.
Except the pundits aren't considering it a "major" upset. No one knew for sure how this team was going to be this year, and no one was expecting a powerhouse team this year. Upset, yes....life changing defeat, no. A small portion of the fanbase will keep stressing over this loss. The turnaround of the season will be the focus if the team begins to show this much improvement year over year. At worst, this year will be mentioned as the year that UT overcame a bad loss to Georgia State to become relevant again.

VN Store

Back