Pick your Poison

One of the main reasons for that was Carr was in his what, 13th year? A good portion of our dumb fans still talk about the GS loss. And I am sure that same portion will be discussing it in 10 years. But it’s big time dumb.

Instead of focusing on the positives this team accomplished, some will just focus on negative BS. We lost to GS. Big deal. We also made a huge turnaround, got to a bowl game and won. That’s what rational fans should focus on.

I get what your saying but when I think of Fulmer's last season I only remember the Wyoming loss.

Most people will remember Georgia State and possibly BYU even if you remember the way the team rebounded. Like people remember Peyton's Memphis game. Georgia State was one of the worst losses in program history. We'll remember the QB that led the loss.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I can almost hear Danielson saying something along the lines of, "and here these Tennessee Volunteers are on their way to a sugar bowl victory when just last year they were blown out at home in their opener against Georgia State."

I get what your saying but when I think of Fulmer's last season I only remember the Wyoming loss.

Most people will remember Georgia State and possibly BYU even if you remember the way the team rebounded. Like people remember Peyton's Memphis game. Georgia State was one of the worst losses in program history. We'll remember the QB that led the loss.

This is what kills me about some fans. They want to boil a game that requires a whole team down to a position. Should the loss be remembered? Yes. Boiling that loss down solely to JG is foolish. Just like saying Peyton lost to Memphis. It’s stupid and faulty logic.

I wish that were the case. But it won't be. This team did nothing remarkable this year in the CFB world other than lose to Georgia State. They will have highlights of that game keyed up for major upsets for years to come just like they do with Michigan vs Appy State.
I disagree. Michigan was at a higher level when they lost to App State and we were 5-7 last year. No comparison. You may dwell on Georgia State but most fans have moved on and we will be remembered as a bowl winner with 6 straight wins.

What was is done. What is, is. What will be will be.
Despite speculation and wishing, you see.

Reactions: ptcarter
This is what kills me about some fans. They want to boil a game that requires a whole team down to a position. Should the loss be remembered? Yes. Boiling that loss down solely to JG is foolish. Just like saying Peyton lost to Memphis. It’s stupid and faulty logic.
If Peyton had a subpar game he should have been blamed. Qb play especially today is the biggest factor for a team winning or losing.

If any equation involves us not losing to Georgia State, you take it. In 10 years nothing about this season will be remembered but that loss.
That’s not necessarily true. If CJP brings us back to national prominence then that game and this season will be discussed a lot by the talking heads.

I don't think it's that dumb. When people mention Michigan's 2007 season the thing that gets mentioned is the loss to App St. Not their 9-4 record and win over UF in the Citrus Bowl.
Wow... This is a really good point, i completely forgot that till you just brought it up.

8-5* , but essentially, an extra win with a bowl loss or one less win but with a bowl win.

I for one would take even a blowout in a bowl to undo the Georgia State loss. I don't think the GS game will be the only thing remembered, but it will be frequently mentioned. As someone else pointed out, the bowl game is after early NSD, and 9-3 in Pruitt's second season may have made the difference with some of the recruits we narrowly missed on.

Yeah, sorry, 8-3 was a typo.

Michigan lost to App St. Saban lost to LA-Monroe his first season at Bama. Bama was only an average team at the time, as is UT now. But the Ga St loss will go the same way those losses went. Those upsets were big deals during the season the losses happened, especially App St and maybe mentioned some the following season. After that, really only when a major upset is about to happen, and only the App St upset is mentioned, at least on national tv. The Ga St loss will be fade away nationally just like Bama's upset to LA-Monroe. We will hear about it some by the commentators during UT games and I suspect that will be about it.

Reactions: Bennessee01
Like it or not , it was and is a big deal. Pruitt has yet to show that he can out coach anybody and we aint gonna win on talent alone. Jmo

Well we definately had the better players, but barely squeaked out a win. Ind. last 4 yrs recruit rankings is like 41st we 17th so should we have only won by 1 point in a come from behind win? With that said I think Pruitt will do good, just needs a better understanding of evaluating qb play. If jg is indeed the best qb on roster we have done some terrible recruiting at qb position.

If any equation involves us not losing to Georgia State, you take it. In 10 years nothing about this season will be remembered but that loss.

I think rallying to win 6 straight after the terrible start losing to GSU will be remembered.

People still talk about the 88 season starting 0-6 then winning the final 5. They talk about it as a springboard to winning the SEC the following year.

Reactions: rikberry31
You know, I'd love more than anything if that happened, and you know if it does, there will still be talk about losing to Georgia State in 2019.
I just read somewhere maybe on Volnation that successful people never dwell and actually forget in a lot of cases their failures. Good advice for everyone.

I don't think it's that dumb. When people mention Michigan's 2007 season the thing that gets mentioned is the loss to App St. Not their 9-4 record and win over UF in the Citrus Bowl.
The Georgia State loss won't be remembered in anywhere near the context of the Michigan App State loss. At the time of the GS game, UT had won only 2 SEC games in the prior 2 seasons combined. Michigan, on the other hand, started the season ranked number 5 in both polls when App State beat them. Huge difference in a) magnitude of upset, and b) quality of home team that day.

I'm of the opinion that the Georgia State loss was bad, yes - however it's spilled milk and the mention of it to pick that scab borders on trolling - now that we have a 6 win streak going.. As ugly as the games have been, it's better than where we were when Brady Hoke was interim coach in a season where there were no SEC wins. Let's get a quarterback that can hit some passes and I think we'll be just fine.

One of the main reasons for that was Carr was in his what, 13th year? A good portion of our dumb fans still talk about the GS loss. And I am sure that same portion will be discussing it in 10 years. But it’s big time dumb.

Instead of focusing on the positives this team accomplished, some will just focus on negative BS. We lost to GS. Big deal. We also made a huge turnaround, got to a bowl game and won. That’s what rational fans should focus on.

With all respect, the team that lost to GA State was the team I watched play most of the game last night. That team disappeared after the GA State game but then, after a month to prepare for Indiana, showed up again last night...until the last five minutes of the game. Yes, I exaggerate a bit but we all saw it -- stupid penalties, a QB who was off, one self-inflicted wound after another. Inept offense and a D that made another QB nobody's ever heard of on an average team look like an All-American. Everybody I know had their blowtorches out, ready to put them on Pruitt's butt for nine long months. And then somebody turned on the lights and the other 2019 team, the good one, showed up to pull off a miracle win.

I promise you that Georgia fans won’t forget about the South Carolina loss in 2019 either.

Nobody remembers Michigan 07. The only time it comes up is when App St plays a P5 team. I didn’t hear about it once when they were playing Alabama.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
9 and whatever. Those 2 immediate losses were massive momentum and morale killers for the entire team.

Some people are very sensitive about mentioning it and I assume they think the CFB world will forget about it. The opposite is true of course. It's forever etched in CFB history and will be the most remembered moment of this football season for Tennessee.

The good news is that App St. win over Michigan occured first and in a time when those things happened very rarely. In today's college football landscape these things happen more frequently and they aren't as "shocking." It took both William & Mary to beat Va Tech but they did. GA Southern (I think) beat UF and I'm sure there are others.

Hopefully 8-5 is the floor for the Vols and this season will get lost in the shuffle as things will improve for UT.

VN Store

Back