Pick your Poison

BigOrangeLoyalist

Would you have preferred the season to go exactly the way it did, with the VOLS finishing 8-5 (5-3) with a Gator Bowl win,

OR

Win the first two (very winnable) games, finish the regular season 9-3 (5-3), but then lose to a stronger opponent in a bigger bowl game and finish 9-4?

We were fortunate to match up with Indiana. It was a great game against a well coached team. But being a realist, the Tennessee team that took the field last night would not stand much chance against a Michigan or Minnesota team that some folks wanted.

Would you have preferred the season to go exactly the way it did, with the VOLS finishing 8-5 (5-3) with a Gator Bowl win,

OR

Win the first two (very winnable) games, finish the regular season 9-3 (5-3), but then lose to a stronger opponent in a bigger bowl game and finish 9-4?

We were fortunate to match up with Indiana. It was a great game against a well coached team. But being a realist, the Tennessee team that took the field last night would not stand much chance against a Michigan or Minnesota team that some folks wanted.
Probably would've rather won the first 2 and took my chances on the bowl game

Dumb beyond belief. Only you would say something like this. Of course you are a huge negative Nancy.
I don't think it's that dumb. When people mention Michigan's 2007 season the thing that gets mentioned is the loss to App St. Not their 9-4 record and win over UF in the Citrus Bowl.

I don't think it's that dumb. When people mention Michigan's 2007 season the thing that gets mentioned is the loss to App St. Not their 9-4 record and win over UF in the Citrus Bowl.

One of the main reasons for that was Carr was in his what, 13th year? A good portion of our dumb fans still talk about the GS loss. And I am sure that same portion will be discussing it in 10 years. But it’s big time dumb.

Instead of focusing on the positives this team accomplished, some will just focus on negative BS. We lost to GS. Big deal. We also made a huge turnaround, got to a bowl game and won. That’s what rational fans should focus on.

Dumb beyond belief. Only you would say something like this. Of course you are a huge negative Nancy.

How much do you remember about the season Michigan lost to Appy State? That Georgia State game will be brought up for years. You'll see it on other football game broadcasts when underdogs are ahead. So yes, I'd much rather have won that game and would happily trade any other win this season for it except Chattanooga, which would have been an even more legendary blunder.

OR

9-4 without a doubt

OR

Let's see; which would I rather finish?

9-4 or 8-3?

Hmmm...

Gonna take a minute.

If any equation involves us not losing to Georgia State, you take it. In 10 years nothing about this season will be remembered but that loss.

In 10 years, 5 SEC Championships and 3 National Titles, we WILL look back at this year AS THE YEAR, that set the tone for what was to come. Football is a culture, the culture has been fixed!!! Players are being developed, coaches are developing. We are not back where we want to be but we are back on the road!!!!

Some people are very sensitive about mentioning it and I assume they think the CFB world will forget about it. The opposite is true of course. It's forever etched in CFB history and will be the most remembered moment of this football season for Tennessee.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
One of the main reasons for that was Carr was in his what, 13th year? A good portion of our dumb fans still talk about the GS loss. And I am sure that same portion will be discussing it in 10 years. But it’s big time dumb.

Instead of focusing on the positives this team accomplished, some will just focus on negative BS. We lost to GS. Big deal. We also made a huge turnaround, got to a bowl game and won. That’s what rational fans should focus on.
Like it or not , it was and is a big deal. Pruitt has yet to show that he can out coach anybody and we aint gonna win on talent alone. Jmo

In 10 years, 5 SEC Championships and 3 National Titles, we WILL look back at this year AS THE YEAR, that set the tone for what was to come. Football is a culture, the culture has been fixed!!! Players are being developed, coaches are developing. We are not back where we want to be but we are back on the road!!!!

You know, I'd love more than anything if that happened, and you know if it does, there will still be talk about losing to Georgia State in 2019.

Reactions: KINGSVOL
Wrong. What will be remembered is the turnaround from 0-2 start and the start of UT being relevant in football again.

I wish that were the case. But it won't be. This team did nothing remarkable this year in the CFB world other than lose to Georgia State. They will have highlights of that game keyed up for major upsets for years to come just like they do with Michigan vs Appy State.

If any equation involves us not losing to Georgia State, you take it. In 10 years nothing about this season will be remembered but that loss.

I gotta politely disagree somewhat.

It will be remembered, maybe for decades honestly, but the way the team finished will be mentioned with it in the same conversation.

This team could hsve easily mailed it in and didn’t. Record is not that great but they finished strong.

With that said, Pruitt better never hsve a season like that again!

As been spewed relentlessly since it happened ...Bama losing to LaMonroe was as bad and they turned out ok . Im not worried about GaSt anymore. Anymore than Memphis in 96 . or Wyoming. Those were BAD losses considering what we had in talent.

I gotta politely disagree somewhat.

It will be remembered, maybe for decades honestly, but the way the team finished will be mentioned with it in the same conversation.

This team could hsve easily mailed it in and didn’t. Record is not that great but they finished strong.

With that said, Pruitt better never hsve a season like that again!

I don't even think UT fans will remember much beyond Georgia State in 10 years. People here remember losing to North Texas in 1975, 45 years later. I'd wager 95% of fans don't remember that we beat Auburn, LSU, and a top 15 Maryland team that year. You don't hear any game from the Battle era mentioned much at all besides that one.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
How much do you remember about the season Michigan lost to Appy State? That Georgia State game will be brought up for years. You'll see it on other football game broadcasts when underdogs are ahead. So yes, I'd much rather have won that game and would happily trade any other win this season for it except Chattanooga, which would have been an even more legendary blunder.

Like I said, beyond dumb. Continue to focus on the negative all you want. There are huge differences between us and UM of 2007.

Let's see; which would I rather finish?

9-4 or 8-3?

Hmmm...

Gonna take a minute.

8-5* , but essentially, an extra win with a bowl loss or one less win but with a bowl win.

I for one would take even a blowout in a bowl to undo the Georgia State loss. I don't think the GS game will be the only thing remembered, but it will be frequently mentioned. As someone else pointed out, the bowl game is after early NSD, and 9-3 in Pruitt's second season may have made the difference with some of the recruits we narrowly missed on.

VN Store

Back