PFF Predicts Hooker as the Starter?

giphy.gif

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We're not in good shape if Milton starts. Watched a few minutes of his play against Minnesota. Never, and I mean never, did he take his eyes off his primary target. No sign of progression.

Unless this staff teaches it or the light comes on I'm not sure he gets the job. Arm strength isn't winning QB1.

JG 2.0???

I have to keep in mind that Heupel’s first quarterback he has brought into the program (he picked) was Milton after the Spring game. I have to think Milton is at the top or close.

Reactions: DonDiego
Hooker is the type of QB that can see a gap in pass defense, plant his foot, and be 15 yds up field. There were so many opportunities in the spring game for him to bust big runs…he must have been told to stay in the pocket. Not saying he’s the starter but if he’s allowed to do his thing…he’s a real nightmare for defenses.

And this is why I think that Bailey starts, but Hooker will still see some meaning full snaps.

Reactions: Teeman
I’m not going to read every post, so, I’m sorry if it’s already been said.......
PFF? Pffft.
They have numbers on all 4 qb’s from either different schools or a different HC and OC. PFF, nor anybody else, has no numbers or grades for these 4 guys with CJH.
In other words, their prediction doesn’t mean squat to me.

Reactions: FBtime and DonDiego
I'm honestly discouraged by this QB derby coming this fall camp.

If you could combine Bailey and Maurer you would have the best QB in the SEC imo. But...you can't do that.
The addition of Milton didn't help my thoughts after the Spring game.

I feel like I'm a pretty good analyst of the QB position. But I'm not Heupel. And if he feels unsatisfied with what he had on the roster than it really puts a damper on a positive outlook. We are a good QB away from being an 8 win team next year.

Reactions: GoVolunteers
Going to the actual source (article published by Pro Football Focus, of which the OP's link is a derivative article by Patrick Brown), here's what they said:

Nothing in there indicates that the folks at PFF gauged Hooker against the other QBs on the roster. So no way of knowing if they know anything. Either by analysis, or by having an inside source on the coaching staff.

And Patrick Brown, the fella who wrote the derivative article that got linked first, he didn't add any analysis or hints of inside sources, either.

Without any of that, their guess of Hooker is roughly as well-founded as yours or mine, I'd say.
Nothing in your article that wasn't well covered in the 'derivative ' article. Although I like many of your posts, sometimes you just post to hear your own beautiful voice. You ain't as smart as you probably think.

Hooker is the type of QB that can see a gap in pass defense, plant his foot, and be 15 yds up field. There were so many opportunities in the spring game for him to bust big runs…he must have been told to stay in the pocket. Not saying he’s the starter but if he’s allowed to do his thing…he’s a real nightmare for defenses.

Yet he is slower than Brian Maurer…..

Hooker has the most experience. Twenty-five career games, 63.1% completion rate, 2894 passing yards, 9.3 yards per attempt, 22 TDs, 7 INTs, 1033 rushing yards, 15 rushing TDs on 247 attempts. It's a safe pick. I prefer to wait until Fall camp and trust CJH to make the best choice for our starting QB.

We're not in good shape if Milton starts. Watched a few minutes of his play against Minnesota. Never, and I mean never, did he take his eyes off his primary target. No sign of progression.

Unless this staff teaches it or the light comes on I'm not sure he gets the job. Arm strength isn't winning QB1.
From my understanding about our offense…… most of the reads are pre-snap….. iit was part of the positives of JH…… great teacher of QBs….. simplistic offense….. but also part of his negatives….. QBs had to learn to go through progressions more at the next level…..I believe Locke discussed that during an interview about JH.

I've been the most impressed with Bailey. From his first time in a game through the spring game, he's made steady improvement. The spring game isn't the best format for judging a QB, but he managed the new offense well, made pretty quick decisions, and made really accurate throws. The only negative I see with him is that he does have a slower release, which is a fumble concern against a good pass rush. He's certainly not fast, but I think he did ok avoiding the rush and making some plays with his feet last season. I think he's got the potential to really light up some defenses in the new system and with the receivers on the roster.

Milton and Maurer are both very talented and could easily be really good QBs if the coaches can get everything to click for them. I'm not real enthusiastic about Hooker. He could do well running the ball and he's good insurance on the bench, but he's not going to scare any defenses with his arm. I think you leave a lot on the table as a coach if you start Hooker. You're not going to fully utilize your talent at receiver with him at QB, and you're also not going to impress a lot of QB and WR recruits with your offense that is supposed to be explosive through the air.

I think everything is set up perfectly for Bailey, but we'll see.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that it would be Hooker. Somewhere a few months ago, I posted that I thought he'd be our starter. Now that we have Milton, I think it will be him...mostly because I've heard he's such a specimen. Like 6'5" and super athletic. But it could be Hooker. I think coaches are aware of how valuable that scrambling ability is. There were so many times that Dobbs kept drives alive on 3rd and that's such a dagger in the heart of a defense. I honestly think in today's game, that mobility is more valuable than what Bailey brings. I am no football expert—I haven't worn a helmet since 1988 and that was while riding the pine most of the time. Even so, if I had to rank our QBs for the fall, I'd go: Milton, Hooker, Bailey, Maurer. I will be interested to see if I'm right or not this fall.

Last edited:
Hooker is not only the best runner but he has the most experience. Better stats than Milton. He may not start game 1, but he will probably start at some point in the season.

I'll just ask for opinions: Does a high quality coach transfer in a QB into the team already containing Bailey, Maurer, and Hooker IF they have confidence those guys can get the job done?

Milton has 3 years left, granted, but I really doubt Heupel brought him in "for the future" or as a project QB. If Bailey "has it" and barring injury, Milton will never start. If Hooker "has it" and isn't injured, Milton MIGHT start his 5th year senior season if he's not recruited over.

Bottom line: why sign Milton to sit?

Reactions: GoVolunteers

VN Store

Back